Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

GOETZ: Opus 17

K-17 PRINCE RULER LUITPOLD OF BAVARIA, 1912, Struck AR, 50mm.

To commemorate the opening of the new Ministry of Transport. Inscription on the reverse, "Erected during the years from 1905 to 1912, Ministry of Transport."

I purchased this piece from a dealer in Kassel, Germany who convinced me that I should not be limiting myself to just cast bronze pieces. Admittedly, there is a beauty in the silver cast and struck pieces too. I love this piece, however, it will be the smallest medal in my collection at 50mm because I have no interest in the 36mm or smaller struck medal pieces. The other three silver medals I purchased are all 60mm and rare in their own right. I have to admit that a little silver does spice up the view of a tray when the cabinet is opened...image

Comments

• Oh, tres purdy! Nice to see you're back safely! Over the jet lag yet? image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • i have to admit i usually hate commemoratives on principle, but man that coin is stunning!
  • Scott - Now THAT is a work of art!!!!!
    Shep
  • laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Very nice reverse! Those stallions are majestic. What is the significance of the snails?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • I was gonna ask about the snails too.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Me too, I really like the horses and the crown above the shield, but what's the deal on the snails?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I was wondering when you were going to "spread out". imageimage I've been expecting it. While I believe most medals look best in bronze, there are some designs that stand out best only in silver or, less frequently, gilt.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    What about the snails?

This medal commerorates the opening of the new Department of Transport Building. The horses allude to the stagecoach area, the snails allude to the olden days of real slow travel. It might be the coat-of-arms of the Ministry.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece. I'd sure love to see more silver ones.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Wow, incredible detail and it really stands out in silver.