Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I'm in LOVE

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

I saw some of these in person at the ANA last year. They are gorgeous!
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I hate to be the guy dumping cold water on this little proof orgy, but $175k? This seller has got to be kidding!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael, do you really think I looked at the price? C'mon, you know me, or better yet, you know Kelly.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
    It is a great looking coin, no doubt about that I'd love to own it, but I think it would be overpriced if you took two "00s" off the end of the price!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    The auction is for 22 coins. Not just one.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>The auction is for 22 coins. Not just one. >>

I am a dope!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>I am a dope! >>

Can't argue with you there buddy.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

<< <i>

<< <i>I am a dope! >>

Can't argue with you there buddy. >>

Yeah, that makes the first time!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they're OK.......I guess.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage:

And......that Eureka-guy can tell you the 22 pieces probably originally sold at auction for under $30,000.

Heck, he may have passed them along to Evan.

I still love those coins...once in a lifetime!

• << <i>I'm in LOVE >>

image I'm telling Chris, or should I be telling Kelly!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Nice pieces. I hope they are all photographed and stored on the web somewhere so we can all look at them from time to time.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    From their web page:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    They're OK, if you like that sort of thing.

imageAnd I likeimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The auction is for 22 coins. Not just one. >>

And you'd think they would at least give a list of what the 22 coins are, instead of this...

<< <i>Please visit www(DOT)aprci(DOT)com for a complete inventory with photographs. To view our British inventory, click on "Search" at the top of the page, then go to "Foreign" on the drop-down menu. >>

Not even a link! image

Great lookin' stuff, though!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Not even a link!

It's against ebay policies to include a link of your business.

link

from their site:

1806 Great Britain James Watt Jr. 3 Pc. Proof Set NGC *SOLD - NEW- James Watt Jr. Gilts* George III 3 pc. Proof Set in Gilt (a heavy plating of gold over copper), 1/4 Penny, 1/2 Penny and Penny. This is the last of the James Watt Jr. collection that I will be offering. These coins just became available, all with the James Watt Jr. pedigree on the holder. All come with the silver lined bronze shells they were housed in for the past 198 years. James Watt Jr. was the Mint Master at the Soho Mint in England from the late 1700's to 1840. He produced a number of Superb Proofs for his own collection. The James Watt Jr. coins are the most perfectly preserved coins I have ever seen. I have kept 20 of them for my personal collection. Each coin was sealed in a silver-lined bronze shell, much like today's "Cointain" and has remained virtually "as made". The coins were passed down thru the family and remained sealed in their containers, until they were sold at an obscure auction in London in Nov. 2002. To be sold as a 3 pc. set, very conservatively graded by NGC: 1/4P PF68 ULTRA CAMEO, 1/2P PF67 ULTRA CAMEO, 1P PF66 CAMEO -- Price On Request
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul for Sale!!!! image

<< <i>It's against ebay policies to include a link of your business. >>

Actually, I believe the rule is you can't simply link to your site. If you link to a page with more information about the item (whether it is a better description, pictures, etc), it is allowed.

Link to eBay's rules on the matter

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    You know, you guys missed my birthday a few weeks ago ... it's not too late to make up for it and this would certainly fill the ticket. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    The James Watt Jr. coins are the most perfectly preserved coins I have ever seen. I have kept 20 of them for my personal collection. Each coin was sealed in a silver-lined bronze shell, much like today's "Cointain" and has remained virtually "as made". The coins were passed down thru the family and remained sealed in their containers, until they were sold at an obscure auction in London in Nov. 2002.

Is this about the obscure auction true? These are probably the finest coins of that period, museum quality,
    with self-made shells,
    and therefore museums should have been after them, not dealers who graded them at NGC.
    Does anybody know more about them?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
    Dimitri, etal.,

They were auctioned by Morton & Eden in England. It was one of their first 2-3 auctions which they held. All the key British dealers knew about the auction, so it wasn't exactly a "secret", just not well publicized.

In any event, the sale took place at a time when the English milled material was just beginning to surge, and the prices realized were mostly in excess of the 2002 Spinks prices. Some dealers were willing to step up and pay 50% or more above Spink and they will be or were rewarded handsomely. Unfortunately, I had only been collecting British for about 6 months and didn't know of the sale because I wasn't following the London auction scene image

So, a lesson was learned......anytime a collection comes to the market which no one in our generation has seen at anytime and that collection rivals perfection, as did the Watt material, you would be well served to pay attention, and be prepared to bid strong.

• << <i>$175k? This seller has got to be kidding! >>

Do you think that's really his price, or is this just a cheap way to get advertising for his site? Almost 650 hits with days to go.
    Roy

It's obviously cheap advertising. I'd bet he's in at under $35 - 40k for the lot. Even at $70k for the entire group it would be a lot, but who knows save the buyer.

Frankly, I wouldn't be sad if market prices for MONSTER U.K. coins were 1000% higher in 15-20 years! image
  • JadeRareCoinJadeRareCoin Posts: 2,768
    I examined Evan's collection several months ago. Beautiful!! However, I think that it is a crying shame that the coins were certified and not just left raw, as they have been for generations. The plastic "cheapens" the whole collection, in terms of looks. Obviously, it doesn't lower the asking price. I think that Aspen Park is just showing these babies off.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!