Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1832 Capped Bust Half Dime - care to guess the grade?

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    AU50
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares... what's the price? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    LM-3, R-1, XF45, and pretty as anything... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    au 50

gorgeous coin,,,

tom
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    my first guess was 45 maybe 50........she is nice
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Pretty colors. imageXF-45 to AU-50 -- I'm leaning towards AU-50 because of superb eye appeal and obverse mint luster.

Nice type coin Carl! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    I've changed my mind... I'm gonna change my guess to MS63... I don't see any real rub, just a mushy strike... look at the lines at the top of the shield on the Rev, they're almost obliterated... usually, most of the lines are fairly strong even into VG/G grades... for that portion to have wear, there would be considerable wear on the wings... I think it's actually Unc, and you're just seeing a weak strike and calling it wear...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Tough to grade this one without a live inspection. The reverse reveals a weak strike in the central area near Eagle's breast. Notice how worn this area is with remainder not nearly as worn (may not be wear just a weak strike). The obverse is also weakly struck in the same area as the reverse - hair curls near facial area - which corresponds with the reverse weakness area. Everything else shows far stronger detail and the cheek, hair, stars and dentils all show minimal (if any) wear. In addition, the toning appears vivid which can only mean LUSTRE is present - which would be unsual if the coin were "lower" graded XF-AU. I'm curious to see how this one actually grades. Great looking coin in any event. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    A good number of 1832 half dimes have soft strikes. I'd be very surprised if this coin graded less than AU58 and would not be at all surprised if it graded MS64.

Edited to add: The first several examples of this date I found images of, did not confirm my above statement regarding weak strikes, however.image
  • Options
    And I made a mistake, it's LM-12, an R-2 Die Marriage
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    What I find difficult about a weak strike is the the stars are all well struck, The letters are also well struck. Tough call. I could also argue that since the stars are so nice why is there no wear on them?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Well... it's possible for a weak strike in the middle with a strong strike on the outside... the deepest part of the coin is that central area, with the shield and the curls, while the forward edge of the wings and the drapery thing at the bottom of the bust are the highest points, the other side of the design is lower...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    To me, it looks like a soft strike. I will go MS-64 as I don't see and dirt in the crevices.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    From the image... I see areas devoid of luster in the unprotected portions of both the fields and the devices. I see a coin that retains more luster than I would expect for an XF coin. I see well struck areas with little or no wear indicating (along with the ample remaining luster) that the lack of central detail is strike related. I call it AU 53 or 55 with great original eye appeal. I would want to see more luster for a higher grade (maybe it's there in person). Good guess?image

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    My AU58 example must be a strong strike for that year, because it has alot more detail than this coin does. Assuming it's a weak strike I'd say its MS63. Otherwise, AU55.
    Matt
  • Options
    Hi All,

My guess is that it is a 55. There is rub on the shield under the neck on the reverse.

David
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS-63, totally original, weak struck in the centers probably from a sinking obverse die.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Hi All,

My guess is that it is a 55. There is rub on the shield under the neck on the reverse.

David >>

I don't think that's rub... if there was wear in the lower portion, there'd be more wear on the leading edge of the wing, same for the upper portion of the shield... there would be a lot more wear on the wings if the shield was worn... if that were wear, it'd be more along the lines of being a VF coin... not AU...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Just checked my book again. It says for the Rev Die State: "Bulge in top of shield; azures have little separation."
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impossible to grade without coin in hand. Looks MS to me, areas of weakness look like strike incompleteness and not wear. If so then MS-63.

• Options
    Yes, to be sure one would have to see the coin in person to make sure that it is strike and not at least some rub on the piece.

I'd NEVER give it an MS-64, however, because of the strike.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submit the coin... .image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    after just looking at a bunch of 58's, my money is on 63-64 with that color
  • Options
    As much as I'm enjoying the replies I must sign off for the night. Thank you all for your responses. Rather than leave you all hanging, I will announce that PCGS gave it a MS 63. I am thinking I will return the coin as I was hoping for more details. I like that it is original. There is luster but it isn't "booming".
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Pcgs probably gave it au55 because they will think its worn.
    I see they graded it 63. I am surprised they actually took the time to figure out it is the strike and not wear.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    agree that it's unc, but i wouldn't give a 3

K S
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I'm enjoying the replies I must sign off for the night. Thank you all for your responses. Rather than leave you all hanging, I will announce that PCGS gave it a MS 63. I am thinking I will return the coin as I was hoping for more details. I like that it is original. There is luster but it isn't "booming". >>

If this is a type peice for you, Carl, I don't blame you for returning it because of the sharpness. I'll warn you though that a lot of these coins are weakly struck, and many are less attractive than this one. Strike problems finally convinced the mint to make the designs on the half dimes and dimes less complex.

I'd buy this piece in a heart beat at the going wholesale prices. Coins like this, at moderate collector prices are always in demand.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    This was a interesting thread because it brought out several points:
    1) Strike difficulties were common in the era of this coin
    2) Strike difficulties and rub may be confused in pictures and even in hand to those unfamiliar with the series and date
    3) There are differences in weight collectors place on strike vrs toning, luster and hairlines
    4) Separating AU from low MS coins from pics will be difficult in many instances. In truth this is a sliding process.
    Trime
  • Options
    Trime: Another interesting point to consider, is that many collectors (including me) would prefer a less expensive well-struck AU-55 or 58 over a weakly struck MS-62 to 63 coin.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    TOTALLY agree w/ stuart.

K S
  • Options
    Carl, is the luster broken in front of and behind the portrait or are those just breaks in the toning?

BC
    Dip Happens...image
  • Options
    The coin looks Unc. to me. I don't see any tell-tale lines on the flat spots where the strike was less than perfect.

Toning and worn dies reduce the amount of luster. That's just a fact of numismatics.
  • Options

<< <i>Trime: Another interesting point to consider, is that many collectors (including me) would prefer a less expensive well-struck AU-55 or 58 over a weakly struck MS-62 to 63 coin. >>

For me, it's eye appealing Choice-VF/XF coins... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Hi all. I was thinking about CarlWohlforth's beautiful 1832 half dime with the strike that had us all pondering it's grade. It caused me to pull one of my 1832 half dimes and I photographed it (below). This example of the 1832 half dime is the rare LM 11.2 (R5). I bought this coin mainly because I fell in love with the massive die break (crack?) along Liberty's cheek. This coin's die break is very reminiscent of the "Scarface" Morgan Dollar. I tried to take a close up photo so you can see the depth of the die break on this half dime. NGC has graded this coin??? Care to take a guess? Thanks! image matteproof

Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    *drool* image 65 is my guess... nice strong strike and good eye appeal... though there does seem to be a little weakness in the shield...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    MS-63 with eye appeal of MS-64. I gave it the lower 63 because of weakness of strike in Obv Hair & Rev shield.

However, I may be overly critical and low on grade because I am not familiar with typical strike characteristics & grading criteria for Bust Half Dimes.

Stuart

• Options
    Weakness of strike? Geeze, mine had a weak strike and got a 63. That should easily be graded higher than mine even if it does appear to have better luster image I would offer you more than MS 64 Grey sheet Ask in a New York second for that coin!
  • Options
    MS66?

Edited to add: Even if I end up being way off on my guess, I want to at least explain how I arrived at it.

Judging from the images (which, let's face it, is all we have to go by hereimage), I see a coin with attractive color, a pretty darned good/nicely detailed strike overall, seemingly plenty of luster and no obvious/noticeable man-made flaws.

Yes, the images might very well be masking some friction/rub, hairlines, wiping, small disturbances, etc. But, from the images themselves, I see no reason why this coin couldn't/shouldn't grade MS66.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Coinguy1 on this one 65/66

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    both nice coins, the first I "grade" 61 or 62 but "price" as a 63, the second one (the scarface) I really really like the look and variety of, grade it a 65 and price it at a 66+ for the eye appeal and visual interest image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Hi all. Thank you JrGman, Stuart, CarlW, Coinguy1, TCT, Baley for your excellent input. You guys are all TERRIFIC graders and savvy numismatists. NGC has graded it ms66. Coinguy1 hit it exactly on the money with his sole 66 grade image. My sense is that if the coin had a hint more lustre it might have a real shot at 67.

Ultimately, I jumped all over this coin due to the “scarface” die break which I found irresistible and highly unique (I’ve never seen another with that die break). The fact that it was an LM11.2 (r5) was a prize (I have a numismatic fetish for freaky rare half dimes). The great thing about half dimes (Early, Bust and Seated) is the amazing array of fantastic rarities among them (far more than many might suppose). Thank you again all for your input. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    Matteproof - a great looking (in your word "freaky") Capped Bust half dime - enjoy.image
  • Options
    It certainly is pretty... image
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file