Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Holder bias or major suck-fest?? You decide.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why would members be so quick to slam this coin which was in a thread by Airplanenut yet seem to accept this coin which was in a thread by Russ?

Both appear similar enough as to be deemed AT, or in the least, suspicious. My take is this: one link displays coins which are raw and one link displays coins in a holder disdained by most. Arguably, bias at it's worst or else some kind of major sucking going on.

Thanks to Darktone and coinguy1 for their objective opinions. Now, level those guns and shoot.

Al H.image

Comments

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    major suckfest by the russ suckups..

plain as the eye can see.

if ya smell something its the russ suckups flamming me image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al: I feel that those who purchase toned coins for huge premiums over greysheet because of the toning are (and should be) more concerned with market acceptance (based on grading service call) for the provenance of the toning toning (AT or NT).

However, those who pay modest premiums for a pretty toned coin (very subjective call) are not as concerned with the market acceptance (based on grading service interpretation) of whether or not the coin is naturally or artificially toned. They are just pleased to have a pretty coin for which they did not pay a huge premium.

Just my opinion and the way that I pursue coin purchases from a value-oriented quality perspective image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I don't know enough about coppers to tell either way, which is why you don't see me in those threads.

But why such a thread with a subject line? I certainly hope you have your flame suit on and ready, you're going to need it.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Keets, I didn't participate in either thread, but what I see is a holdered coin representing itself as legitimate as opposed to a few which the owner plans to submit hoping they might be acceptable. I didn't see a popularity contest, but then I wasn't looking. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Al

You trouble maker you! Everybody knows a coin can only be NT if it has been blessed by PCGS or NGC. And everyone knows that any other toned coin, be it raw or slabbed by other TPGs is AT.

I say that half joking, but there is a lot of truth to the statement. Get an AT coin into a PCGS slab and it will rarely be questioned. Today it is not so much whether the coin is AT or NT, it is whether the coin is market acceptable. And to date, the only companies blessed with the absolute power to make that determination are PCGS and NGC.

Bottom line here is if you disagree with HRH and his boys.....you are wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>Holder bias or major suck-fest >>

I tend to think that there is a little of both.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Its Sunday and I dont wanna see dispersions or castigations

being thrown around. Everyone be nice now or I will have to rip your arms

and legs off.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone be nice now or I will have to rip your arms

and legs off.image >>

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the first coin better -- have bought numerous PCI coins, all crossed, some at HIGHER grades. Includes two 68* silver roosies at NGC.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    <<Holder bias or major suck-fest?? You decide.>>

It appears to me to depend a lot on the topic of the thread. If it's an "Is this AT or NT" thread you are more likely to get a "Body bag it" answer than if the topic is one of the "Look at the purty coin I just bought" type threads where you are likely to get ooo's and ah's.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Simple, I didn't look at Russ' thread so I didn't comment there.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Never saw airplanenut's post on the PCI Indian Head. I did see Russ' Indian. I am not a copper expert, but going by my gut, the PCI coin appears the more suspect of the two, IMHO. I thought I had read from the copper folks that green was a suspicious toning color ...
  • Options
    Hey Al,

Lookin' for a bumpy ride on the forum this fine Sunday afternoon ? imageimage

I think all of the coins pictured looked really cool, and personally could care less if they were AT or NT. They're probably out of my price range anyway.
  • Options
    ready, aim.....FIRE!

Suck-amundo, imo. A lot of people are afraid of Russ due to his wickedly piercing words and his willingness to make any forum member a target of his brutal thrashing by word.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shame on you Keets, you should know many people on the forums don't care if a coin is AT or not. They like to see pretty. You see them saying it in this thread as well. The famous saying on the forum is...
    "Who cares if it's AT, if it's pretty, cheap, and you like it is all that matters."

Unless of course the famous ebay sellers auctions are linked (that don't post on the forum) and are known to sell these "gems" then the very same people that like the AT stuff on the forum that popular forum members post..... suddenly like to join in on the flame fest.

Gee, it's no wonder these guys that "Make" these toners still make a killing on selling their garbage.

Now the coin Russ posted, didn't see it.

Besides, Russ is my hero and leave him alone.imageimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Keets, while I believe the two Indian cents in Russ's thread will be body-bagged for "artificial color", the one in Jeremy's thread looks even more unnatural, holder or no holder.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A lot of people are afraid of Russ due to his wickedly piercing words and his willingness to make any forum member a target of his brutal thrashing by word. >>

And don't you forget it. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
  • Options

<< <i>And don't you forget it. >>

.............. image...........image..............image

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets, great thread title. image

The two coins that Russ had I would not own. Airplanenuts I did not see. Of course all I saw was pictures to make a opinion from.

Ken
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Would have to see the coins in real life. Pics are often juiced up to show the color better. It's a holder-biased suck-fest.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    Just remember, Russ wouldn't be Russ, without "us".image

Jim
  • Options
    wow.
  • Options

<< <i>

Suck-amundo, imo. A lot of people are afraid of Russ due to his wickedly piercing words and his willingness to make any forum member a target of his brutal thrashing by word. >>

Yes, dont pay any attention to the man(mouse) behind the curtain!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options

Yes, dont pay any attention to the man(mouse) behind the curtain!

WORDS OF TRUTH!!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭
    ooooooh...
    ps. OT... image
    pss. If you've been here for any length of time, they're both newbies...
    ...One of 'em is a gentleman... imageimageimage
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>major suckfest by the russ suckups..

plain as the eye can see. >>

<< <i>lot of people are afraid of Russ due to his wickedly piercing words and his willingness to make any forum member a target of his brutal thrashing by word. >>

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i'd pass on both coins.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file