Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

If you werent concentrating on one set....

What other set would you work on?

If you're already working on mulitiple sets, feel free to say what your working on.

Personally, I think I'd really enjoy doing a Walker or Merc Short Set (1934 and up).

David

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Working on Jefferson pre 64 and Lincoln 09-58. WOuld love to work on something else but the Lincolns are so hard.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on several.

Primary is my 1792-1964 type set. This has a long way to go...

Secondary I have many sets. Other type sets, proof silver Washingtons, Ikes (proof & MS). Then I have stray coins I collect because I like them. I also have a little collection of errors.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I am putting together a set of certain coins with certain grades within certain series,
    but not necessarily any "complete" sets. image
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    NEW GUY HERE.. Lincolncentman The Merc and Walker sets sound great to me. Growing up they were my favs. Trying to finish my Roosie clads before moving to anything else. I must say it's getting harder and harder to win the nice FB's on ebay.. lol
    Dan
  • Options
    GEEEZZZ where did I get that Icon??
    Dan
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    lol Welcome to the boards !
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome..
    WOW I look like the winner, or maybe the loser, in a Texas chili eating contest.
    Dan
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I am primarily working on the MS/PR 20th century type set and filling holes for the Basic and Modern Type sets.

• Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    I continue to find an upgrade here and there on my registry sets (classic commems,3cent nickels ms and proof,proof mercs and walkers and proof barber coinage) i suppose i might try ms barbers or an old gold series next...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Hi Dan, Welcome to the boards, you have done a great job on that Roosey set of yours Good Luck and Keep up the good work Fredimageimage
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to upgrade my complete set of mercury dimes to be all uncirculated. What a task! I started doing Roosevelt dimes, but the fire just isn't the same. I have an interest in some mint and proof sets and type set collecting.

Dan50, welcome to the boards!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Dan50.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    manscomansco Posts: 229
    In 2000, I had a near complete type set, a 50 coin silver commemorative type set, 80% of a Morgan set, some Saints, and some modern commems. They were 90%+ raw. I sold most of them and decided to focus on PCGS coins only. I was going to focus on the type set again primarily, then a 144 silver commem set, slab the modern commems and be done with.

I got hooked on the Morgans again and I'm now 3 coins shy of the complete basic set. I finished a nice Washington Quarter set and sold it. Finished a Franklin set and broke it up. Finished a Roosevelt dime set and started to break it up. Got all the none-rare Saints and sold them off. While collecting the Washington and Franklins, I started working on the modern proof Washingtons, Ikes, Kennedys, Anthonys, state quarters and Sacs....probably won't keep them.

Now I've kept up with the modern commems, 80+% done with the 144 silver commems, making a dent in the Liberty double eagle sets (focusing on S-mint and Type 3 subsets, mostly), and started a Buffalo nickle set.

Oh, yeah, I'm about 15% done with the type set.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'm currently working on upgrading a few coins in my 20th Century Circ. Type Sets. About 4 upgrades should finish them up, hopefully.

I recently started a new set, Large Cents 1839 - 1857. I've always liked large cents. It seems other area's of collecting have taken precedence. Now it's time to start the hunt for the big pennies. I'm hoping this won't take too long to complete (I'm estimating 18 months, but hoping for 12 or less). I started with this set because it contains 19 coins. I'm concentrating on BN and RB (mostly BN), primarily because of cost and they're a lot easier to come by than RD. Eventually, I plan to expand the set to include varieties. That's if I don't get sidetracked with a different set to assemble. image

If anyone has a high grade piece that would fit into this set, please PM me.

Welcome to the forums Dan50. Happy collecting!

Dan
  • Options
    1st Set - Certified Merc Short Set ('34-'45) - On Hold for the moment
    2nd Set - Capped Bust Half-Dime Date Set - Slow Going, kinda on the back burner since it's hard to find pieces I like...
    3rd Set - 20th Century Major Design, No Gold, Registry Type Set - Kinda Main Focus (See "ECOTS" in my Sig)
    4th Set - Raw Dansco Type Album - Long Term goal... slowly gonna add... lookin for a coin or two for it right now...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    HI
    I ONLY HAVE ONE SET NOW,THAT I AM WORK ON.ITS A PROOF JEFFERSON NICKEL SET .1938 TO 2003.ITS IS 100% DONE.BUT STILL NEED SOME MORE UPGRADES.I AM ONLY 00.20 FROM THE #5 PLACE.
    AND THEN I CAN GET IT PEDIGREE.
    LITTLE JOHN
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    1st set
    Lincoln Cents 1909-2004
    2nd set
    all other US coins 1934-2004
    3rd set
    F.E. Indian Cents
  • Options
    It is so easy for me to get sidetracked. My main goal is a type set. However I do love Walking Liberty halves and have bought a few recently. I'm also intereseted in toned coins and may pick up another piece or two, but nothing I would call a set.

Welcome Dan50 and littlejohn!
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Lib 5c and the new basic design type set. I will probably delete most other sets as they are just offshoots of these two.

Greg
  • Options
    I've been thinking more and more about some kind of type set, but I need a theme.

Maybe monster-toned key-date coins only...I wonder what that would set me back! image

Ken
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'd have to say that I'm concentrating on Mercury dimes, but I haven't had much luck in adding to my set recently. I've been getting my coin buying "fix" by picking up some Lincolns for my 1909-58 set. One of these days I'm going to submit about 65 raw coins to add to that set, which will give me a huge boost in the rankings, but that gets expensive. I also really like type coins, and want to add to my basic design set and to the 1792-1964 copper, nickel, and silver type set.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I collect nothing but Merc's, but I've also been buying commemoratives lately, only ones that really appeal to me though. I do like SLQ's. Yeah, they would most likely be it. I'm not a big fan of any of the nickels.
  • Options
    I'd like to add to my 3 cent nickel and silver coins at some point; I think
    that it is a fun series of coins that don't get much attention.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercs and Buffs.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Capped Bust dimes and half dimes
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Type Set
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Mercs and Peace Dollars. I may branch out to a type set once I get closer on these two. Always more coins than cash.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Currently working on the Kennedy's in Proof and Morgans in DMPL. Although I have several sets registered these two are getting the most attention at the moment.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!