Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A couple of cool Indian Head Cents I picked up at the show today.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

Large images here:

Click for large obverse image.

Click for large reverse image.

Large images here:

Click for large obverse image.

Click for large reverse image.

I think they both grade MS64, with the 1901 as BN and the 1909 as RB. Other opinions welcome.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Love the '09. But, that said, my copper expertise follows:
  • Options
    The '09 is gorgeous! I'd love to have it in my 20th century type set. image
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    Randy,

You could always WAG it. What do you think I did? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh noooooooo....Russ beat me to the coin show. I might as well not even go tomorrowimageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Not to worry, Tim, I only pick the fruit from the bottom of the vine.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    They look real nice Russ but I suspect they have both been dipped to get those colors. mike
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins Russ. I love to see color on copper coins.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    How much?
  • Options

<< <i>How much? >>

Pretend there's a pic of a bird here.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
  • Options
    Beautiful!

I love "brown" and "red-brown" copper - often they are every color except brown!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, the luster is apparent from the image on the 09, but not the 01. The surfaces of both coins look pretty clean. The only contact marks I see are a cleft chin & a contact mark on the underside of the chin on the 01.

Contact marks on the face & neck on the obverse, and on the ONE CENT, in addition to carbon, tend to knock the grade down on this series.

I steer clear of purple on copper & especially silver, but this color is on many high grade copper coins slabbed by the majors. In the past, PCGS has been tougher on copper and this is reflected in sheet pricing. I'd be curious to see who grades these coins & how they grade.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Russ, why pretend? Here is an image you can use.

• Options

<< <i>I'd be curious to see who grades these coins & how they grade. >>

Elcontador,

It'll be PCGS passing judgement. I picked them up to try and fill my freebie submission for re-upping my membership. BTW, you have a good eye. The 1909 does have more luster than the 1901; although even it comes up a bit short in that department.

Eric,

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    good one Eric
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it's no Long Beach, it was a pretty decent show. Had a good time talking with folks. Saw some nice coins. Russ, you definitely got the best IHC's of the show!imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    All the freakin coins from the coin shop I went to today were probably at your showimage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Russ are these the accented feather variety? image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I think Russ is a heck of a good guy and I hate to break up the party. However, if his images are accurate, I believe that these two coins will be body-bagged by PCGS for "artificial color", as they appear to have been dipped, like Darktone/Mike mentioned earlier.

A couple of factors lead me to this conclusion: 1) It is extremely rare/unusual for mint state copper coins to (naturally) display purple like these two do and 2) the pink color at the central reverse area of the first coin (1901) and the tan on part of the obverse and most of the reverse of the second coin (1909) are wrong/too light, for original copper, in general and for those two years, in particular.

Yes, copper does naturally display different hues and degrees of "RD", "RB", mellowing, etc. But, below are images of a 1901 PCGS MS64RD and a 1909 PCGS MS64RD, which I believe to be more representative of original/natural color on Indian cents of those years. I'm not super confident that they will help illustrate my point but I hope they will.

• Options
    Now I'm all depressed and will have to go eat worms.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Its OK, Russ. You're still my hero.
  • Options

<< <i>You could always WAG it. What do you think I did? >>

"WAG it" ?

• Options

<< <i>"WAG it" ? >>

Wild Ass Guess. It's my usual grading method.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should probably amend my comments re purple on copper to say that I have seen this color more often re PF IHCs than on business strikes.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file