Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A cleaned 1916-D Mercury...what to do?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a friend that is coming up on 60 years old and he assembled an entire set of mercury dimes from pocket change when he was a kid and has a 1916-D that is harshly cleaned. He showed it to me and it looks vf-xf.

My question is this: He cleaned the coin some 40 years ago, now is there anything you can do to reverse this? He would like to have the coin graded, so he may sell it. I have no experience with cleaned coins, because I have never bothered to clean one.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Only service that would grade it is ANACS with a net grade.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Before the wags post, I should say ACG, PCI and NTC etc would grade it.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Sell it to me... I'll buy it image
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Is the rest of the set raw? It sounds like it is. Why not just keep it all uniform?
  • Options
    I have a raw set of Lincolns and the 1909-s vdb is a solid ms62, except that somewhere in the past it got cleaned, not bad, but bad enough to body bag and I'll tell ya it is a sweet cent and a heck of alot less expensive. I bought the coin for the value, hmmmm.. an interesting concept. Slabbed 09-s's are overrated and over valued.

Stands to reason the value of this Merc set is an instance where the "whole" may have more value than the single.. who cares if a circulated set is slabbed.

My only curiousity would be to authenticate the 16-d.. send it to ANACS, then crack it back out and put it back in the hole and tape the ANACS label below the 16-d hole.

My fav's are circulated and change found sets.
    gravity--it's the law.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    leave it as is and get it graded and slabbed by anacs.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The only way to possibly reverse a harsh cleaning is to put the coin in your pocket with the rest of your change, handle the change frequently and leave it there until it has worn down a grade ot two. This takes some time, and there is the risk you may lose or spend the coin, or that it may acquire a bad scratch from other items you may have in your pocket.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    ANACS is the best option...

Dennis
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ANACS is the best option...

Dennis >>

Yea that's about right because you will need to get the coin certified as genuine before you can sell it for a decent price. There are just too many counterfeits out there. Even with the problems there is a good chance that your friend will be able to realize at least Fine "bid" ($1,350) from the coin. The supply of these coins that is currently in the market is very thin with most examples that you do find grading AG-3 or FR-2.

I recently sold a 1942/1 dime that graded VF (the old standards), but had some scratches on the reverse for Fine bid to a dealer. He tried to work me down, but in the end he paid. Key date coins are red hot (maybe too hot) right now. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<"He tried to work me down, but in the end he paid. Key date coins are red hot (maybe too hot) right now.">>

Soooo is this red hot key date market driven by speculators? or collectors looking to finish a set? I would think the last person in the chain would ultimately be a collector.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    a 16-d w/ vf-ish detail, you will have no problem getting good $ for it, even if it is cleaned.

K S
  • Options

<< <i>a 16-d w/ vf-ish detail, you will have no problem getting good $ for it, even if it is cleaned.

K S >>

Very true... even AG-3 is $400 or so... though it may have gone up a bit since that last time I did a price research on it...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    NCS will also slab a problem coin with details grade. They leave the net grade to the buyer. And their slab is nicer than ANACS' slab.
  • Options
    if it was a cleaned ms-64 fsb, then you'd be in trouble, but in circ grades, don't fret it. don't buy into the extreme paranoia about cleaned coins that most folks hoot & holler about. there are plenty of collectors who can forgive a cleaning. i have a great preference for original coins, but am not so paranoid that i've never bought a cleaned 1.

K S
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree go with ANACS (I still don't understand why PCGS doesn't slab problem coins).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is that the major third party grading services (PCGS,NGC & ANACS basically "market grade" coins. That means to me that they will take into consideration the market value of a rare coin when grading. Once they determine the coin is genuine and NOT a counterfeit, they will evaluate its condition in relation to market value. In the case of a 1916 D dime, assuming it has been HARSHLY cleaned, that could push the grade down a bit. If it really looks ugly, its market value is obviously decreased. Assuming that the coin looks halfway decent, most people would pay good money to have one in their Mercury dime collection. I believe a company like PCGS would not automatically bodybag such a coin, but would make every effort to slab it assuming, again that this is an obvious circulated coin that had been cleaned. I believe that truly rare coins are treated differently than common coins with the same problems. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NCS will also slab a problem coin with details grade. They leave the net grade to the buyer. And their slab is nicer than ANACS' slab. >>

AMEN!!!!!!!

ANACS' NET grading SUCKS! Let NCS holder it as VF or EF details and leave it at that. Don't let ANACS essentially assign the coin a value. Let the buyer make up his/her mind.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ANACS' NET grading SUCKS! Let NCS holder it as VF or EF details and leave it at that. Don't let ANACS essentially assign the coin a value. Let the buyer make up his/her mind. >>

Interesting. So why not take this a step further? Why not let ALL coins be priced by the buyer? Why bother with grading coins at all? I'd be for that!

Interesting...I didn't know so many people felt this way about ANACS Net Grading....very interesting. image

jom
  • Options
    bingo

thank you, jom, for introducing folks to the concept of ........ common sense.

K S
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. So why not take this a step further? Why not let ALL coins be priced by the buyer? Why bother with grading coins at all? I'd be for that! >>

We'll save that for the perfect world. image
  • Options
    Nah, I still say... sell it to me...
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>ANACS' NET grading SUCKS! Let NCS holder it as VF or EF details and leave it at that. Don't let ANACS essentially assign the coin a value. Let the buyer make up his/her mind. >>

Interesting. So why not take this a step further? Why not let ALL coins be priced by the buyer? Why bother with grading coins at all? I'd be for that!

Interesting...I didn't know so many people felt this way about ANACS Net Grading....very interesting. image

jom >>

what my post simply meant was why let anacs determine that the coin is AU details net VF because you will be lucky to have someone pay you VF money for the coin. If you let NCS put the coin in an AU details holder and note the problem, THEN it is up to the buyer to determine how much that problem erodes any pricing on it. I feel that Anacs is assigning a value to the coin which would be the "net" grade. I personally don't need someone to "net" grade. I can make up my own mind how much any problem would affect what I would be willing to pay which may be more or less than any assigned net grade/value.
  • Options
    goose3, the point is that the anacs net-grade, at least in theory, gives the viewer some indication of the LEVEL of problem. ie a unc-details net-graded down to au-58 cleaned, that would be a very mild cleaning. unc details net-graded down to vf-35 (yes i've seen this) would be 1 he11uva cleaning. again, in theory, the net-grade vs. the details grade gives an indication of how severe the problem is.

eac grading initiated this concept, & it works very well for copper. i admit that anacs is nowhere near the consistency of eac grading, but i think the idea works.

K S
  • Options

If this is the case, who can help a newbie out with a handfull
    of Morgans?
    Manuel
    Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list