Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fake Gold Bars and COINS!

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check out this new site: How the West was Faked
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Excellent reading MrEureka! I especially likr the story on Josiah Lilly and the smelter on the wooden floor, very interesting indeed.

dragon
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Very interesting link.

Great reading.

We ARE watching you.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy:

I am stunned (No kidding!) because when I glance at what is available, it asserts that "The forgers who made and marketed these bars were ... John J. Ford, jr. (1924- ) of Rockville Center, Long Island." I thought Ford was an important figure in numismatics, especially in the 1950s and 1960s. I haven't read the article by Kleeberg yet (it's 96 pages long) but the one shorter article by Buttrey I have read came close to accusing Stacks of being Ford's accomplice.

Now, I know that Buttrey raised this issue a few years back in an article published in an ANS publication. And then Hodder (who Buttrey apparently takes to task in his articles on the web page) rebutted Buttrey's work. And then Kleeberg recently published an article in the Numismatist that was too short to really grasp the thrust of his analysis. I seem to recall that Stacks (and Ford?) filled a lawsuit against Buttrey. Apparently Kleeberg, who now has his law degree, is on Buttrey's side? And apparently the 96 page article is the complete article from which the Numismatist abstracted its story?

I am at work now and so can't read the rest of material, but it does seem incredible...Ford and Stacks seem to be being dragged through the mud, but without reading the material, I have no idea of the strength of the assertions. However, Andy, if you have any details to add, I'd love to hear them. However, if you don't want to post anything, I can understand.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    This is a really really hot and controversial topic. Spend some time reading the website. I don't have a clue who is right, but, if the debunkers are right, it's a hot one alright. Ford's name is right up there in the numismatic pantheon of heroes.
    DSW
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bout fake SILVER?

Excerpt from one of my ....OLD..... CoinNet archived info pieces:

This information is from a mid-1980’s bulletin on Coinnet from TX21. (Don’t even know if they are still around.)

Their Info:
    Altered Englehard Bar Test
    The following instructions are to test Englehard extruded bars that may have been altered......Four bars have now turned up in this area and this test has been good on all bars.....Test should be used as an indication only!!!
    We think this is a good test but have not seen enough bars to say for sure

Take an empty coin tube (the smaller the better) and make sure the lid is tight. Stand the tube on the lid. Balance the bar on top of the tube then strike the bar with a hard object. We have found that hard wood works best and does not dent or damage the bar. The bar should ring. The bad bars thud.

You will need a good ear because some of the Englehard bars do not ring as well as others, but when you hear the bad ones thud you will understand....Some bars ring like a bell. Some sort of ring and the bad ones thud. Also all the bad bars have had the same pattern on the ends.

The pattern is a circular pattern that goes from the top (logo side) to the bottom of the bar.
    A similar GOOD pattern goes from one corner to the opposite corner.
    Please make note: These are indications only and should be used as such. The only 100% way is to cut the bars in two or ultrasonic test them.
    .........................................................................................................

The above is the word for word description that was disseminated on the CoinNet trading network and is the product of a Texas coin dealer who posted it. My only reason for calling attention is for educational purposes only. This was a long time ago and I never got any bad bars so do not know if it is correct or not. The only changes I made were in spelling. As I recall, this information was before Englehard started encasing their bars in plastic. I just don’t remember the date except that it was posted on July 24th of whatever year they printed it.
  • Options
    I cannot believe you guys! Someone tries to sell a whizzed Morgan on eBay and we get 200 replies. This thread gets five. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would reply but I don't know much about bars and such.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I would reply but I don't know much about bars and such.

Mark - First, all the info you need is at the link provided. Second, the site also discusses fake coins, at least one of which was recently sold at a major auction for over 250K.

Edited to say: Besides, you DID respond! image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>I cannot believe you guys! Someone tries to sell a whizzed Morgan on eBay and we get 200 replies. This thread gets five. >>

Well there were some problems with your thread.

First, your title was not sensational enough. If you said “Fake gold bards sold on ebay” or “Fake gold bars sold by high end dealers” you would have drawn a larger audience.

Second, it involves an area of collecting that is esoteric to most board members. Next time try something about Franklins or unopened proof sets from the 1970s.

Third it required the reading of a long article with no pictures.

Fourth, none of those ingots or coins were whizzed or AT.

Fifth, there was no link to ebay.

Sixth, there was no mention of grades or how long it took to get them.

Seventh, there were too many Hungarian names. No one can pronounce them. That’s why my grandmother left Hungary. She couldn’t remember anyone’s name.

And you are wrong when you said there were only 5 replies. This one makes 7.

CG
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Third it required the reading of a long article with no pictures. >>

Calgold has lurched into the truth.image
  • Options
    Well there were some problems with your thread.

Sorry. I'm new here. image
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    And now for my real reply.

I always was amazed at the prices that Gold Rush ingots brought but I also wondered how anyone could vouch for their authenticity. It just seemed that they would be easy to counterfeit since most are just a cast ingot with words and numbers stamped on them and many are unique.*

CG

*Edited to add: If the article is correct, many are unique because some guy made them up in his garage in Massapequa.

• Options
    Edited to add: If the article is correct, many are unique because some guy made them up in his garage in Massapequa.

The thinking is that he made unique items so that they couldn't be compared to anything else. So how do you prove them fake?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accusing JJ Ford of counterfeiting is a very, very, serious thing to do.......I mean, it would be like saying QDB is a crook or something like that.......I'm shocked just to see it in print.........and the timing of it reeks. In the middle of the Ford sales when the guy is rather up in years.....ouch.......I guess I shouldn't be surprised, I think Ford and Buttrey have been going at each other for a long time...

Even if I had videotape of Ford doing what is claimed, I'm not sure I would release it until he was dead, unless he was about to auction off said gold bars and there was a chance of damage to a third party.......

• Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    here's my reply.

njcoincrank
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    This has all the makings of a best seller!!!

Does anyone remeber what bars were melted down for the $20 re-issue?

I have to go back now and read more!!!

• Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    I sold all of my California Gold bar and Moffitt coin holdings many years ago and am no longer interested in them.image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Andy

While I find this very interesting, I also find it hard to follow and Im not anywhere near an expert or a collector of such peices.

I do however find it extremely funny that auction houses can turn around and sell fakes when supposedly they are experts in all fields or so they claim.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    Does anyone remeber what bars were melted down for the $20 re-issue?

Kahuna - Which "re-issue" are you talking about?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I think he means the replica $50 Kellogg & Co pieces made from melted down Assay ingots from the SS Central America.
  • Options
    I think he means the replica $50 Kellogg & Co pieces made from melted down Assay ingots from the SS Central America.

If so, then the bars that were melted were Kellogg bars. Of course, that was long after all this other stuff allegedly happened.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Replyimage
    NUMO
  • Options
    I cannot believe you guys! Someone tries to sell a whizzed Morgan on eBay and we get 200 replies. This thread gets five.

Andy, could you please provide a link to the whizzed Morgan on eBay? That sounds absolutely fascinating! I have been waiting for a thread like that all day.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    Conder:

It is at least passingly ironic that the replica $50 gold pieces were made from ingots that we know for a fact were genuine.

Mark
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>John Ford did the historical research and marketed the pieces to gullible collectors, or as Ford always called them, “boobs.” >>

Haha, interesting reading so far.
    Collector of Fractional Gold; gold tokens from Canada, California, Alaska & other states; gold so-called dollars, and other oddball stuff.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Andy, this is fascinating reading! I am especially impressed with the scientific methods and testing done on the gold bars and coins. This research is certainly going to ruffle a lot of big numismatic feathers.
    As a large cent collector, I am still trying to get over the fact that the man whose book started me out on early date large cents, Dr. Sheldon, apparently absconded with a large number of large cents from the ANS Clapp Collection. Now, with the research by Buttrey, the reputation of another numismatic giant, John J. Ford, has been cast into doubt. I am certain that the last word on this subject has not been written yet.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what happens next time some of these items come up for auction.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    Andy, et. al.:

I read the essays. They were stunning in the depths of the accusations. Am I wrong in thinking that Ford and Franklin were essentially accused in all the essays of being counterfeiters but that only Buttrey seemed to suggest that Stack's played a role in the alleged deception?

It would be very interesting to read a rebuttal by Ford and/or Hodder because these essays present (very strongly!) one side of the issue.

Re your comment about the next time these items come up for sale: If the claims made in these essays are shown to be true, do you think a current owner have a claim against Ford, Franklin's estate (which is probably gone by now), and/or Stack's?

In addition, it will also be very interesting to see the Stack's catalog of Ford's collection of gold bars when it comes time for these to be auctioned. His collection of colonials was simply amazing. I am sure that Buttrey would concur that Ford's collection of gold bars is amazing but Buttrey might have another reason for thinking the collection amazing...

Mark
    Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file