Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slabs with no grades? Hmm. Might be a stupid question but...

What are these slabs?

Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Those are sample slabs given away by PCGS to show folks what their slabs look like.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    PCGS 10 sample slab on my website

<< <i>This slab was once thought to be scarce. It might still be semi scarce if no one saved them, but recently I found out from David Hall who told me “These were an item in a Random House marketed Scott Travers "Coin collecting starter kit. "I believed we did either 50,000 or 100,000 of them.” If this is the true production numbers, this is the largest number of samples made for any time from any of the services! Most samples don’t even have 1,000 made of one type.

The Back of the slab is Green and white and does not have the hologram. The dates I have seen range from 1918 through 1929 and each coin is in Fine through Extremely Fine condition. Group lots of 4-8 of these samples can easily be found. This type could still be a challenge for a “short set” of sample slabs by trying to get one of each date. >>

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    The ICG one in the middle has the name of www.sampleslabs.com on it. Is that anything special? Or did ICG do alot of these. I couldn't find it on www.sampleslabs.com though.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>the name of www.sampleslabs.com on it. Is that anything special? >>

No.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Cammie... Why aren't your sample slabs PCGS????

• Options
    I still have to add that one to my website.

175 of them were made and I give them out for free to people who buy samples from me off ebay.

ICG was the easiest to deal with and for a free sample from me, people better not complainimage Also, PCGS won't put websites on their slab label.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Ok Cam, Just curious! Thanks!! image

Only 175, they may end up rare.

• Options
    No problem. Yep, just 175image

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights