Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to hold a successful coin show???

GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
Okay, I am finally going to take the plunge. As some of you may remember, I started a local coin club a year ago in town. We are are smaller club, in a smaller town (pop ~ 100,000) with only 25 members. But we continue to gain a new member about ever month. But we have decided to hold our first coin show, and I am going to be in charge of it. So I am looking for advice from those who have helped out with shows before.

Our "plan" right now is to hold it in September, at a local hotel in downtown Duluth, MN. It will probably be a 1-day show, on a Saturday. There hasn't been a local coin show in approximately 15 years in town. As that is when the previous coin club folded. We are hoping to attract new members, as we as make a small profit if possible. What advice can you give?

Here are some questions:
What would you expect to pay for a conference room at a hotel for a Saturday show?
How many dealers do you need to be successful?
Do you need to hire a cop?
What are the best hours?
What should you expect to charge for a table?
Advertising is critical... how much to spend on it? And what places to advertise?
Door prizes?
Cost for admission? Should it be free for a smaller show?
I am thinking we may only get 8-10 smaller interstate dealers? Is this enough?
Security? Location? Parking?
What do you look for in a show?
What do you hate when you go to a smaller show?

Any comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Make sure the dealers all bring plenty of 1964 through 1970 mint, proof and SMS sets and the show will be a smashing success.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Be sure to take a lesson from the Dothan Alabama debacle. Make sure all required permits (if required) are handled prior to the show.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three coin shows per month here in Western New York. My answers to some of your questions.

At least 10 dealers IMO
    Best hours 10am to 6pm
    Small show, table fee $20, two tables $35 ( this all depends on how much the club is being charged for the hall and how many tables you pre-sell)
    No admission cost
    I look for darkside coins when I go to a show image
    I hate nasty uncooperative dealers who ignore potential customers, but this is true for every size show

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    You need to talk to Mike Dixon. He runs one of the most successful little shows I've been to.....Ken
  • Options
    our coin club runs ano a year. we charge $45 for 12' space with tables behind for the dealers to work from.
  • Options
    call and see how many are willing to set up on show day . a cheap 400 rental fee will not help the club if 10 sign up at $30 a table . Talk to hotel if they object or charge more cause your gonna run 4 100 extension cords on their floor (and duct taped) so that dealers can plug in 2,3,or 4 lights per table .

advertise . a free or cheap local or county weekly , church bulletins , stack of flyers or taped to windows of high traffic stores (with permission) coin world or numismatic news or both . (collectors live everywhere , and driving up to an hour is feasable . )

No ads = no traffic = no dealers next time

Besides hotels , call schools , churches , VFW halls , American legion halls , or ethnic groups that have a building with floor space . they should be reasonable .

you need the show to get started . admissions, door prizes , security , bigger place , all comes with time and experience .

good luck.
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    ttt for the weekday crew. I posted this message the past weekend, and was wondering if anyone had more comments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file