Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just got my first two pedigreed coins...

I was at a department store with a coin department, and they had two nice MS66 war nickels with the Benson pedigree. I didn't have either one yet, so I figured "What the heck...why not?"

Does anyone know who exactly Benson is/was? I never really paid any attention to that kind of stuff before.

Comments

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was a butler...he buttled. And he had his own TV show. image
  • Options
    Benson collected toned coins and his collection was sold off last year. Someone must have submitited rolls of his jefferson nickels (untoned nickels) lately to PCGS. All of a sudden they are appearing at every show, on ebay and in coin world. I've seen grades from MS-64-66 on most.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>He was a butler...he buttled. And he had his own TV show. image >>

Wise guyimage
  • Options

<< <i>Wise guy image >>

That would be me
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    What department stores still have coin departments? When I was a kid, growing up in Boston in the 1950's, several still had them. Fond, fond memories of looking at the goodies (any one of the major ones of which, had I bought it then and NOT listened to my dear old, sainted Mom, who meant well, would pay for my kids' education today).
    DSW
  • Options

<< <i>What department stores still have coin departments? When I was a kid, growing up in Boston in the 1950's, several still had them. Fond, fond memories of looking at the goodies (any one of the major ones of which, had I bought it then and NOT listened to my dear old, sainted Mom, who meant well, would pay for my kids' education today). >>

It was Marshall Field's, in Chicagoimage
  • Options
    J.M. Fields, W.T. Grant, Lechmere, and Spags here in MA.
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "It was Marshall Field's, in Chicago"

If you were at Marshall Fields I hope you walked the block and a half to look at the purty stuff at Harlan Berk.

Jim
  • Options
    rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Here is a link to the Heritage site that describes Benson.

Heritage link
  • Options

<< <i>"It was Marshall Field's, in Chicago"

If you were at Marshall Fields I hope you walked the block and a half to look at the purty stuff at Harlan Berk.

Jim >>

Actually, Harlan Berk was my first stop. I picked up some $$$ from a coin they had sold for me on consignmentimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file