Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What will you do with your collection eventually?

I've often thought about what I eventually do with my collection. Hopefully before I "check out" of life I will give a lot of it away to an interested collector. Whether it is one of my children or somebody I don't even know yet. Some of them were passed down to me so without question those will go to a family member. Who knows, maybe I will just sell them and LIVE IT UP!
What are your thoughts on what you will do?
Joe

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    When I'm on my death bed I'll crack them all out and give them as tips to the nurses.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Interested collector ... Whether it is one of my children or somebody I don't even know yet. >>

Definitely, in some sense, I would like to keep them in the family of collectors.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    1957joe

sell them and live it up! I'am having a blast in retirement selling my collection on ebay.

wally
  • Options
    If I do not need them in my lifetime...I will have the ones that are of value graded...so if something happens to me, such as an accident...they will be graded and my family will then begin to know their worth and not be swendled...as I have taken pride in the coins that I collect, they are not junk...and I want my heirs to get the true value for them. I also collect vintage and antique watches which I have many beauties...all working and in prestine condition...
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean 'What will my children eventually do with my collection?" image

Joe.
  • Options
    I will most likely use them as part of my retirement funds and enoy life but thats many years away.
  • Options
    Have my entire collection melted down and used for my casket...
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    My casket will be lined with slabs image OK, really though the bulk of it will be passed down to our daughter, hopefully they will stay in the family for many years.

• Options
    Most will go for retirement, others I will give away to my nieces and nephews. Still some will be sold at cost to really 'Good people' who can't afford nice pieces.

One dealer, who passed away recently, was a really great guy. He sold me some coins at his cost because we had a good rapport and he knew what I was trying to collect. He did not try to cheat anyone that I know of.

I really miss my friend... image and not because I got some great deals, but because he was honest and a real afficiando of the hobby! Wish there were more like him.

Honesty is the Best Policy!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, really though the bulk of it will be passed down to our daughter, hopefully they will stay in the family for many years. >>

Ditto.

<< <i>Have my entire collection melted down and used for my casket... >>

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be selling them myself and either using the money to enjoy life or letting my kids use it for the things that bring them joy. If the money could be used to help pay for a house or college or something of interest to them, I wouldn't want them to feel obligated to keep "Dad's Coins."
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    >>>>What will you do with your collection eventually?<<<<

Give them away to my forum friends when I get tired of looking at them.image
  • Options
    Puff, when you are tired of the Walker on the right in your sig, I'll gladly take it off your hands!
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Hopefully fund part of my retirement or put some of that to the purchase of a home...
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    I had originally thought of it for retirement, but now my son, who is 10, is getting interested in coin collecting so my plans may change. It would be nice to think that the investment I've made in time as well as money will last longer than a "high bid" sometime in the future on eBay. (that is if eBay is still around 30 years from now) image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    What is e-of-bay? Is it a scam or do people actuallybuy stuff from there:

I used to deal with Bayments of ease, but no longer!

Look, research, look, and research together, then look if dealing with a dealer
    Honesty is the Best Policy!
  • Options
    Upon my death bed, I will instruct my executor to have them cracked out, save the tags, and then send them to ACG to see if they can finally get a grade right...then of course, after seeing how bad the descrepancies are, have the executor crack them out, THROW AWAY the ACG tags (or he can leave them in his bathroom...they may be of more use there) and resubmit to PCGS/NGC as reslabs as the slabs broke. Seriously, I will leave them to my kids and hope it gets them a little more in life of what they want, not just need.
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Options
    Give it away I guess.
  • Options
    Pass it on to my children.
  • Options
    Mine's going with me one way or another.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Sell it and make Billions... Duh image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already did it last year -- sold my Morgan set and paid off the house! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Just sold off my slabbed Morgan cc collection. Bought a new truck, going on a nice 8 day vacation to the warmer climes, added some $$$ to my 2 year old daughters stock fund, and bought myself the first coin in my "new" collection. An 1851-D PCGS AU58 Half Eagle. Paid cash for all. Couldn't resist the insane money CC Morgans are selling for now. I'm a happy guyimageimageimageimageimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Pass it on with good instructions on what to do with it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>When I'm on my death bed I'll crack them all out and give them as tips to the nurses. Russ, NCNE >>

Hey Russ, Can I be your nurse. I know where to put the thermometer.image
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell off alot of the Morgans and $20 Gold and use the capital to purchase an AU-58 PL Bust Dollar and an AU-58 $10 Gold Turban variety with Heraldic Eagle Reverse.

I am tending towards simplification of my collection concentrating on classic coin rarities....

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Fatman-------------You are too funny !!!!!!!!!!!!image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Set up a trust fund, to pay the way for Forum members to go to all the coin shows.

Now, wont that be nice.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    1957joe1957joe Posts: 608 ✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    I doubt that my heirs will care much for the collections, and will likely sell them to other caring collectors.
    A good thing.
    The coins we own are only ours for the time we are here, but the selling and acquiring of them will place
    them in the hands of other folks who care about them. We are only temporary caretakers as they pass among
    us.
    Perhaps the units of the collection will meet with their previous neighbors in new collections as they pass
    down that road.

The important thing is that they will survive, they will be found, and collected again in a larger cycle, until
    either the species is done for, or the Sun goes Nova, no matter what we do in the limited time we own them.

A collector who has yet to be born will someday look at them under an antique glass to appraise the grade
    and appreciate the history.

Enjoy, and be confident that no matter what happens, they will survive long past ourselves!

Every day is a gift.
  • Options
    Getting ready to sell probably about 2/3 of all my coins - all unslabbed. It takes a LOT of time to grade coins, especially due to inexperience, so slow going to get an inventory list. I will use this money to start a business probably. Lots of mediocre stuff - going, going . . .

The other 1/3 I will keep for our 12+? grandchildren - one due in a few days and two more in a few months. In the meantime, I will continue to collect, and will try to teach the grandchildren about coins as they grow old enough to understand and appreciate.
  • Options
    Timely question for me -- I just recently finished up a project over the last few weeks of performing a full inventory of my coins. I photographed them all and put together a website that explains the story behind each of the coins. As part of this description, I identified which coins I felt were core to my collection -- coins that I would like to have pass down to my heirs (assuming they are interested in coin collecting), and which coins weren't ones that deserved a special place in my core collection.

It was a very fun project, and now I hvae something very concrete that catalogs and showcases my collection virtually. Hopefully it will provide my heirs with an insight into how I collected and will make the coins in my collection more than just some round pieces of metal.
  • Options
    no kids to give them to
    no friends to give them to
    no family to give them to
    the collection ain't worth much anyway
    if i die before mom she won't know what to do with them
    prolly just throw them away
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Except for a couple I'll end up selling them all. The couple I save will pass on to relatives.
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I plan to leave my coins to my children, who I am cultivating early into being coin collectors themselves. Just check my sig line.

I am well on the way with my 2 year old. She love to hold and carry around her monies!!!!
    J'har
  • Options
    I picture it like this.......

About once a month or so, I'll pack my walker in the Dodge and head out on the Tamiani trail doing 18 MPH in the passing lane........ I'll be slumped down in the seat so that only the top of my fedora appears to be over the steering wheel......... I won't be able to hear the horns or screams of fellow motorists since the batteries in my miracle-ear are long since dead.......... I'll stop at the piggly-wiggly for a prune slurpee and then go off to the local coin store where they look at me like I'm crazy because I tell them of the coins I "used" to own....... I'll poke around and maybe sell a 100 0z bar or two............ Then maybe, I'll hand a coin to a youngster I've seen there before........ like a seated dollar, or a Saint............ The shopkeeper will go nuts wondering what else I've got stashed away, the kid will be happy, and by that time, the prune slurpee will be kicking in so I will have to go !!!!!!! Crazy old man, I think not !!!!!!!!!
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming my wife and kids survive me, I believe they will keep my collection either intact (if my wife keeps it) or evenly divided in half (if my kids get it).

I would like to document the collection well enough that it would become a family heirloom to be passed on to a single collector in the family for multiple generations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file