Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is a little off topic but rlates to "What does it take to become "king of the hill?&q

As I have watched, listened, learned, & laughed, I have often wondered what it is that most of the board members do for a living. Are they all coin related professions, do they sell coins for a living, are they independently wealthy, Are they average joe's with a liking for coins and work their butts off like me to be able to (hopefully) aquire some nice peices?

So what is it you all do to afford what I personally know IS an expensive hobby?
For me ...I am a Commmecial General Contractor, engaged in Restaurant, Medical and Large Concrete Tilt-Up Buildings. And I love being a part of this community (even though I don't comment much).
Can some of you share what you do to finance thhis hobby. The one that always comes to mind is GSA Guy as I know he has a beautiful collect and I just wondered what everyone else does "For A Living". And Russ you too have great collect along with Marty and Lucy and etc, etc.........
Thanks for sharing if you care to....Walt (The Builder)

Comments

• Options
    I am an account manager for a software company.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Umm....Self employed numismatist? image

Edit that: I am not a dealer. I'm a writer, researcher, web developer, collector.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I used to control airplanes at Chicago O'Hare FAA Control Tower. Now, I'm old and just about senile, so I play with my coins.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unemployed and thats why the collection is not neat like the others you mentioned.

Ken
  • Options
    I really hope this keeps on going because I really am interested at what others do to earn a salary substantail enough to hopefully enjoy some of the spoils of our labor. So What is it you do GSA guy? I really admire your Morgan collection.
    And are there any other Carpenters or Framers or Builders or Concrete Contractors amongst us?
    Not being noisy just curious as most of my subcontractor on my projects have never heard od yet seen a Sacagawea and when I shown several the NEW nickel they didn't even know a new one had been produuced.
    Thanks for all your honesty and input. I think this is great and am starting for the first time to feel like an ordinary person with a love of coins ( a position I thgought was only held by me) Walt
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    23 yr old college student from the swamp with an unusual talent of web application development and website design.

Computer Science Major at McNeese State University and Lead web application developer for the university.

McNeese State University
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options

<< <i><a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=133960&highlight_key=y&keyword1=living" target=blank>Read to your heart's content, a 200-plus response to a prior thread on the topic! </A>image >>

Thanks RGL...Looks like it is a couple of years old, but seems to be the same topic..Maybe I should have done a search but then again we must have some newbies here (because I too am here now) Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Glad to help. There is a much newer thread on that topic, but darn if I could hit the right keyword to produce it in a search ...
  • Options
    TTT>>>>>>>RGL Thanks, Walt
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Cronically unemloyable, but I can still buy coins. image
  • Options

<< <i>Cronically unemloyable, but I can still buy coins. image >>

Thats a GOOD Thing...............
  • Options
    QA Reliability Eng. at a major US DRAM manufacturing outfit. Started as a grunt employee in 86' been there ever since, but it bought us the place in the mnts. below
    Pete
  • Options

<< <i>QA Reliability Eng. at a major US DRAM manufacturing outfit. Started as a grunt employee in 86' been there ever since, but it bought us the place in the mnts. below
    Pete >>

Might sound stupid but...What is a USDRAM...? Is that a off spring of a US-DCAM? (Just kidding) I haven't a clue what a USDRAM is...US Dept of ........................? Close?image
  • Options
    Pimp.image
  • Options
    dynamic reandom access memory??

or just plain chips?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    I am a computer (unix, Solaris) programmer/administrator for a really big bank.
    ReefGeek
  • Options
    Registered nurse, 29+ years and low-level collector/former accumulator. Thanks goodness, independently wealthy.
    Every day is a gift.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    I am just a Folder Operator for a Large Format Printing Company workin my butt off to try to obtain some of the "Finer Specimens" in life! image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I'm the chief economist for one of the bureaus in the U.S. Department of the Interior. Among other things, I help design auction sales for distributing the rights to drill for oil and gas resources off the U.S. outer continental shelf.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hands on bench chemist. I make chemical reagents used for testing for various contaminants in water such as trihalomethanes or chloroform in water or a reagent to determine low levels of calcium or hardness in the brine used in the chloralkali industry.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    director of software development in our eBusiness environment for a very large insurance company.
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goal is to retire, move to an island and dive dive dive .... coins are an interesting diversion since i was 11
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>goal is to retire, move to an island and dive dive dive .... coins are an interesting diversion since i was 11 >>

I tried that! Vietnam for almost 2 years, late 2000-2002, then Koh Samui Thailand, mid 2002-late 2002. Traveled extensively thru China, HK, Taiwan, Maylasia, missed Ankor ( cambodia which I lament). Vnam's the best though.

Then ran out of $$$ hahahaha.

Am a Coin Dealer

Rgrds
    TP
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I'm an engineer (mechanic) for a local hospital. I've been turning wrenches since I was able to walk. It's always an adventure, I never know what I'll be doing until I hit the door. I love my job, repairing a Medival looking torture device from surgery, rewiring a popcorn maker, replumbing a sink, you name it. I'm your basic "Jack" of all trades! image
    Becky
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Passport/Visa/Birth certificate Expeditor

Quickpassport.com
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a registered Lunatic

for a living, I work in Client-Server engineering for a large disc drive manufacturer.
  • Options
    Power plant electronic systems tech at the University of Missouri.
    Pecunia in arbotis non crescit.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin dealer, and I write articles, mostly for political collector publications.

I've got some nice coins because I've been collecting for 40 years. Over that time pirces have gone up a lot. I also collect a very few coins that I buy for the business and upgrade pieces when I can afford it. And when I lose interest in something, which is not too often, it goes to inventory. Usually the pieces that come out of my collection don't last long in my case....
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Self made millionaire, retired/disabled at age 40 having invented such things as the colored,

wear indicators on toothbrushes presently on the market-distributed by the likes of Oral-B. I "invent"

things, copyright them and sell the copyrights. Everytime you look at an Oral-B toothbrush with the

colored bristles...right here!! Also into Hydroponics-growing of fresh vegetables, out of season,

within an enclosed, climate controlled envrionment whereas no outside contaminants are

brought in thus pesticides and other toxins are never intoduced to the vegetables. Also a free-lance

writer. Nowadays I "play" with coins,image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Radiologist, I look at films like mammograms, Chest Xrays, MRI, CT scans and such in a little dark room all day. During a moment of down-time I am writing this message. I think the imaging nature of what I do plays into my love of taking pics of coins.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Currently, full time student and working for a bank in the corporate services division. Hopefully if you ask me the same question on Monday, I'll have a different answer! Important interview coming up this week image
    Tim
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I recently changed careers, I was a wireless network administrator, now I am a Wastewater treatment plant operator.

• Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I am certainly not king of the hill, although i don't hover at the bottom. I own a personal injury law firm and deal in rare coins.
  • Options
    Unemployed electrician.
  • Options
    re:Might sound stupid but...What is a USDRAM...?

Should have read U.S. DRAM (Dynamic Random access memory) computer chips...... Sorry
    Pete
  • Options
    Boom: I "invent"

my DH and I are always inventing things - maybe you could steer me how to make some of these things a reality. I always get stuck on the prototype, drawing, statistical details. I am a 'wannabe' copyrighted song lyric writer. My most recent paid profession would be as composing artist (and supervisor) for several major newspapers. Most experience would be in graphic arts, advertising and typography. I love to piddle with building websites, rock collecting/hunting/mining and gardening. My most recent hobby would be our 9 -going on 12 grandchilluns and trying to start a plant/tree nursery in Texas drought/heat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file