Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this 1917 Type 2 SLQ?

When I bought this, I thought it to be a 63FH.

Now I'm looking harder, and I'm not sure it'll make MS. The chain mail looks a bit soft; weak strike? The shield, however, looks pretty nice, with all the rivots. The head looks to have enough separation from the face to go FH, at least to me.

The small spot at 11 or so is a reflection from the 2 x 2. I didn't 'crack' it out before I took the photos.

Should I send this in to PCGS or put it in my AU album?
David

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn that's a close call--I like it!

Although a type 1 would have been much better image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, I think it looks AU due to the rub on the breast. It looks like a strong strike but will not make MS due to the rub.

imageimage

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice looking coin, but if you are hoping for MS-63, FH, it's a near miss on both counts.

The ear hole is missing on the head, and there is definitely a wear spot on the knee. Having said that, there are lots of MS-63 graded Standing Lib quarters with wear spots on the knee, but I do whatever I can to avoid them.

Good photo! There is not doubt in my mind about what I just wrote.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU album. Looks cleaned or dipped to me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree that one had a nice strike which unfortunately makes the wear spots even more evident. This is most evident to me on the shield's centered vertical lines since half of them are flattened and the other half still has nice vertical lines. With a weak strike absent wear the shield would have had a more uniform appearance. The detail is especially nice though on the lower points not subject to wear including the face details on Ms. Liberty.
  • Options
    I don't believe it's been cleaned or dipped. I believe it to be from a large collection that came out of a capital plastics holder, and none of the lot showed much toning. In hand it looks to have an original, if a bit handled, surface.

I hate what you're saying, BillJones, but I must admit that I think you're right. I really wanted this coin to be MS. Regarding the head, though, there is a small slash mark on the ear, but I do believe it may be a just-miss full head. There is a separation on the hairline and face though, which I think is more often tougher than the earhole.

And APN, I like the Type 1, too, but I must admit to loving the entire series...
    David
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And APN, I like the Type 1, too, but I must admit to loving the entire series... >>

Admit all you want... image

My T-1 is one of my most eye-appealing coins, and has sentimental value... so I treasure it... and all T-1s image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Airplanenut - thanks for the tease. Now let's see the photo of that T1.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    David... Its an AU58FH...look at the rub on the leading leg. If sent to PCGS, it would go 55FH.

Nice coin though, wish I could have seen the images of the entire set inside the Capitol Holder.

Mike
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Not a FH by any stretch. Doesn't appear mint state but scans really don't accurately portray a coins real surfaces.

So based on the scan, a nice AU coin.

Rgrds
    TP image
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It barely misses FH BUT I have seen worse graded FH. It is AU however. Look at the flatness on the knee and just below it.

jom
  • Options
    she's very pretty
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>It barely misses FH BUT I have seen worse graded FH. It is AU however. Look at the flatness on the knee and just below it.

jom >>

I agree. Still a pretty coin though.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    at this grade level, we need a luster shot. can't really tell from the digi-pic provided.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file