Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who's better at grading mint state Large Cents?

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
ANACS, NGC, or PCGS?

Dave
Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    SEGS

Ray
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Depends on which grading standard you think they should be following.
  • NTC
    JoeCool
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on which grading standard you think they should be following.

Let me think.....how about someone who won't grade a circulated AU58 as a MS62!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Send it to EAC then.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I said SEGS because I'd rather have Bob and Cindy Grellman form an opinion on my early copper, than someone that's just strictly applying a grade on a slab.
    If my coin should happen to be a rare variety, they'd let me know.

Ray
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a number of years, Unc. PCGS Large Cents usually looked more attractive for the grade than those slabbed by anyone else. This is reflected in sheet prices, unless you go back to Classic and Draped Bust material.

However, I couldn't tell you re Unc. Large Cents that are being slabbed currently.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Heres what I do with colonials, many of which are copper and mint state:

1) By raw or
    2) Buy slabbed while totally ignoring the grade on the holder and then
    3) Try to get them into an appropriate PCGS holder to make them as marketable as possible to the broadest possible audience in the future.

What was the question again?

• EAC guys, hands down.
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433

<< <i>Depends on which grading standard you think they should be following.

Let me think.....how about someone who won't grade a circulated AU58 as a MS62!

Dave >>

They all do the same thing with this example. Many au/58's from ALL services are in ms/61 and 2 holders.

With copper, I've had good coins in all three "big 3" holders. Have had bad coins in all three also. Early copper is tough, and the services have their hands full in trying to please all the different "crowds" when it comes to copper.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    The Big 3 do not presently have anyone who has the slightest clue what constitutes ordinary from exceptional Large Cents. IMO, they are wholly inconsistent. If the TPGs really cared about assessing the grade levels of copper on a consistent, defined basis, they would outsource the gradig of these early coppers to the true experts in their respective fields. Dealer-wise, you're talking Tom Reynolds, Chris McCawley, Mr. Grellman, Mcguigan, etal. If your copper truly can stand the test, send it to Bill Noyes. These people would not place and AU55-58 copper into a MS63 or better slab. Save your cert. money for now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file