Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1971 OPC PSA 9 Checklist #111

Well AJ has a 1971 OPC PSA 9 Checklist #111 with quite the opening price. It looks like he is not meesing around this time.Link

Comments

• Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Back in the early 80's, it was widely accepted that
    this was one of the toughest checklists to get.

It really is a nice checklist from a nice set.

However, the POP reports show that the 1969-70
    first series checklist is the toughest one to get.
    I've seen many 69 checklists and they're always off centered.

This is just my opinion and could surely be subject to debate.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if this card gets any bids.
    I'm thinking it may, but I've been wrong before.

marc
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    nice to see if this one sells
    hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    ZSZ >>> you are correct this card could be overrated.

I think it still sells at the opening bid
  • Options
    Considering what the PSA 8 recently went for, the opener on this one does not seem out of line.
    Sure it would have been a lot more fun to watch this one with a $9.99 opener and no reserve but no one is taking any chances anymore, especially in unchartered waters such as these.
    Nice to see that they took the time to provide a scan of the back as well.

Rob...

Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Gee, I could buy a nice used car......or a 1971 checklist inPSA 9! It's a no brainer!.....Really now, if it does sell for it's opening bid, then someone has too much money at the moment and needs a new hobby.

dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options

<< <i>Gee, I could buy a nice used car......or a 1971 checklist inPSA 9! It's a no brainer!.....Really now, if it does sell for it's opening bid, then someone has too much money at the moment and needs a new hobby.

dan >>

Gee, thats like saying I could buy a 1952 Topps Mantle in PSA 10 or a really nice house. If I have to say that I shouldn't even be considering a baseball card. It's all relative.

Funny, we don't see comments like these when a low pop 60's or 70's baseball common sells for 4 figures. The card in question here is one of, if not the highest profile card in the hockey hobby from this era.
    Oh yeah, it's also a 1/1.

I for one really hope it sells, auctions like these can only raise the profile of the hockey hobby as a whole.

Dan

Have you checked out some of the current prices in the Mastro auction?
    Make sure you're sitting down.

Have a great day.

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    Yeah,

I agree with both Rob and Dan.

We all know that hockey cards are the best priced little gems in the hobby.
    Also, there is no comparison in availibility of cards between hockey and baseball.
    It's surely much tougher to find quality and quantity in vintage opc.

There is the "old school" of hockey collectors who believe that hockey card
    prices should stay the way they've been over the years.

And there are others who see the astronimical prices that vintage baseball cards
    fetch and who don't understand why hockey is so cheap.

I think we should respect how "both schools" feel, and let people
    collect and spend the way they want to.

I know AJ has been accused of greed, but I hold nothing against his
    attempt to sell this card at that price. Agreed, if you look at mastronet,
    you will clearly see that there are people out there where price is
    not a problem.

I've dealt with some of these people. They are CEO's of companies that
    have their companies stocks trading on wall street. They are lawyers.
    They are rich.

marc
  • Options
    That's fine with me....I just hope they have some of that money left over when my nephews or heirs decide to sell MY collection!

Funny how the world of money goes in a big circle....those CEO's make money off the little people when they exercise their stock options, and then they use that money to buy some vintage hockey cards. Who says I don't have a retirement savings plan!!!

Dan
  • Options
    While I freely admit that I have not now nor have I in the past collected Hocke, I do have an interest in this card. On the board here, my specialty is Football. I own the the PSA 9 1/1 1966 Funny Ring Checklist. I paid significantly more for mine than this one is being offered for at this time. If I had any plans of collecting hockey, and I do not at this time, I would be all over this thing. Even at that price. I consider this Hockey chscklist to be similar to the FB Funny Rings checklist in terms of status and population, if not legen as well.
    Eventually for me, the decision came down to "Do you want to win?" If the answer is yes, then you have to have these types of cards. If you don't then your set will always be vulnerable to the guy who has it. In our case, Skinsfan is the competition. He has a better set than mine. He has more 9's and fewer problem children (7's, 8 NQ's and the like). But last year, I won based on the points earned from the set's checklists. My upgrade path is easier at this time and while I expect it to be close again, my checklists will always make it hard to overcome. I see the path for this set could be very similar down the road.
    Yes it is a chunk of change but having owned mine for nearly two years now, I can't imagine trying to compete without it. If you have to have the top set. Buy it. Buy it now. You will be glad you did.
    Fuzz
    PS. No I was not paid for this endorsement, but he if wants to offer something.......
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Fuzz,

I've never understood the competition that goes along with setbuilding.

When I was a kid, I would buy packs and collate sets. I would also
    flip cards and trade. Building the nicest set was never a priority.
    Finishing a set was.

What makes the competition ridiculous in my opinion is the lack of
    consistency of PSA graders. I'm not putting down the graders, just
    making a known fact based on human error. They are very consistent
    in my opinion, but errors do happen. My PSA 8 can be much worse
    than your 7 sometimes.

I can understand wanting to build a high grade set. But I can't
    understand the competition of it. That doesn't mean I'm against
    it, I just can't understand it.

In my opinion, a PSA 7, 8,9, and 10 are all nice cards.
    And MANY psa 8's are just as nice as 9's.

Have you ever paid big money on a PSA 9 card only to end up
    realizing that your PSA 8 was just as nice ?

marc
  • Options
    Marc, i agree 100% and then some
  • Options
    Hi, is that a stain towards the bottom right of the back of the card?? It sure looks like one to me, unless AJ spilled some coffee on the holder ....

Just the same I would love to have the coin for that one!!

R Haynes
    trading, trading, trading, check out my webpage
  • Options
    It got a buyer!
  • Options
    Well folks.........I had to have that card......much like in Melville's Moby Dick, I was Captain
    Ahab and that checklist was my elusive White Whale.........Yeah, no doubt I overpaid but
    to me it was a card that I simply had to have for this set............psychologically now I can
    relax and take my time in getting the few cards I need in high grade from this set over the
    next year or so............granted, this card has blown my budget for the next few months
    or so...........but I am happy nonetheless harpooning this sucker.....

Thanksimage
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

I think the Moby Dick was the one doing the fishing.
  • Options
    Congrats on the checklist image

Will you be going after the 1971 opc Bobby Orr 1/1 PSA 9 on ebay now ?

If so, I'm 99.9% sure that there will be a guy putting a 3k snipe on
    it.

marc image
  • Options
    Marc, not at the price he is asking for it.......I would be willing to go around 1500 U.S. but that is all.....

With regards to the cards I need to complete a high grade 71/72 NHL OPC set, they come around every
    now and then and I can afford to be patient..............

But at least I have got the hardest card to get in this set in high quality and that is of course the sp checklist

Thanks
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    that orr card is absolutely beautiful, one of my favorites!!
  • Options
    raym8raym8 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I can give you a little history on that 1971 PSA 9 Orr card. That card was originally a KSA 9 card that I bought on ebay about 5 years ago for about $150.

I broke it out and submitted to PSA, and it came back an 8. I really thought that it had a decent shot at a 9, so I broke it out again and resubmitted it, and it came back a 9 on the second go round.

It remained in my collection until about 3 years ago when I sold it in a private sale to scerb13. At the time it was a good price at $350.

And now I am crying in my cheerios as I can see the card is going to sell for much, much more.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>I broke it out and submitted to PSA, and it came back an 8. I really thought that it had a decent shot at a 9, so I broke it out again and resubmitted it, and it came back a 9 on the second go round. >>

• Options
    Marc,
    I agree with you completely regarding how I collected as a kid. In fact, I remained more interested in obtaining cards than the cards condition until the last several years.
    I think that we agree that collecting cards and staying interested in them is all about the challenge. I my case, the competition on the registery is the challenge to collecting. I have been very fortunate so far that I have had the $ to buy the things that I really wanted. In many of the standard sets, having the cash is often the prerequsite to being finished. You can buy complete sets or even large chunks of cards, it just takes cash. In many of the registery sets that I collect, I have raw set several times over and honestly, it is not that much fun to put together a set for the tenth time. Even one you like a lot. The challenge for me is competitng against some of the friends that I have made on these boards. When you are hunting pop 2 card for an upgrade, there is a challenge. It is not a question of whether you have the $, both you and the guy your competing against have that. It is who can find it first. That has become the challenge that keeps the fire lit. Not finding it, but finding it nice.
    Is it a good investment, usually not. But finding a card you need for an upgrade can make your day as much as getting it for the first time.
    Maybe not a good explanation, but that is the way it is here.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.