Home U.S. Coin Forum

"BLAST WHITE" usually ='s dipped...correct?

Hey guys. Question for you. All these "Blast white" peace, morgan and other silver coins have to have been dipped right? I mean silver tarnishes very quickly and I don't see how something could stay like that without some help. Am I mistaken?

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Nope. All they require is a protected environment. Many white morgans came from original bags because they were surrounded by other coins which protected them. Also, collectors in the past could preserve specimens. Silver is reactive, of course, but you can dramatically slow down the reaction with proper care of the coin.

All this is not to say that many have been dipped. Just that not all older white coins have been dipped.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the thruth is that completely untoned blast white Morgans are rather uncommon, but do exist. Blast white coins offered by dealers are usually ones that have been dipped, whether the dealer knows it or not. There is usually no way to tell whether a coin has been dipped, except in cases where the coin was heavily toned, leaving a washed out or hazy surface. Dipped coins get slabbed by PCGS and NGC every day, and there is no harm in owning them.
  • Liberator, please, do you have an icon people can look at without getting sick?image
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many "blast white" Morgans that are totally original. These coins were stored in bags for many years in bags where they were away from the air and other contaminates. Their bright silver color is totally natural.

With other coins that were issued for general circulation, it becomes dicey. Most of these “blast white” coins are pieces that were dipped, and the results came out well. If the color is stable, who cares? BUT many of these coins are destined to tone, often in the PCGS or NGC holder, AND the color is usually not very attractive.

And yes I agree. Your icon is getting old, Liberator. It’s time for a change
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of 75+ year old blast white coins have been dipped one or more times. Each bath removes a little more of the surface.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an untrue statement. I've been able to see several original bags of Morgans (1881 S, 1888 P) bought and opened. Coins on the sides of the bags were toned, but the ones which were on the innerside, surrounded by coins were "blast" white.
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"BLAST WHITE" usually ='s dipped...correct? >>

correct.

K S
  • Coins from original rolls will often tone at/on the edges, with blast white surfaces.
  • IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Dipping a coin doesn't do nearly the harm that toning a coin does. 99% of those "original" toned coins are sandblast grey underneath the silver sulfide and most have the luster stripped away.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    bwuahahahahahahaha!

good 1!

K S
    Of course you've dipped enough dark coins to know this isn't true, right?

• << <i>All these "Blast white" peace, morgan and other silver coins have to have been dipped right? >>

Vast overstatement, and no, they do not have to be.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TRUTH IN ADVERTISING

Ever consider what the "blast" in "blast white" stood for?

Webster's New World Dictionary, Second College Edition: Blast ..... 5. An abrupt and damaging influence.

Sandblast .... vt to engrave, clean, etc. with a sandblast.

A sharp strike from cold steel is an abrupt and damaging influence to a planchet resulting in numerous raised flow lines as the metal was crushed and pushed out of shape.

These flow lines look kinda pretty is the thing........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file