Home U.S. Coin Forum

How did this one ended up in holder?

Comments

• PCGS has NET GRADED the coin. It probably would have been a MS-64 or 65 if not for the scratch, but it's a dramatic error with decent error collector demand. What PCGS is saying is that the coin is worth what an ordinary, if not ugly, MS 60 Buffalo of that sort of off-center strike is worth.

A couple of years ago I sold a then recently graded 1797 Half Dol. with an old scratch completely across the obverse (not as bad as this one..but it was noticable nevertheless) for $20,000. I recently offered to pay the guy who bought it $34,000 but he refused..said he's never selling it. I could get $36,000 for it in a heartbeat.

PCGS had graded it F-15, but the coin was a perfect match for the VF example of that date plated in A Overton's definitive book on Bust Halves. The coin had been net graded F-15 instead of VF-20/25.

A coin with a scratch, even a nasty scratch, can be worth strong $$ IF it's the right coin!

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I agree. Net graded and a cool error. I think PCGS made the right decision.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I think they net grade only rare and popular coins. Some coins are still too cool not to slab.

Tom
    Tom

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, ok so its net graded, but i thought they body bagged damaged coins???????????????????????///
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    sadysta1
    If your name is Fred Weinberg,you too could get a damaged coin slabbed by PCGS.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    1st of all, grading error coins like that is idiotic. i guess pcgs is just following the blind in that regard. but in the 2d place, where did this gibberish of "pcgs won't grade problem coins" come from? is it such a shock that gee, some coins have minor scratches, light cleanings, etc, but uh, yeah, they could still be worth something? why is this such shocking news to some of you?

K S
  • why is this such shocking news to some of you?

Because some people believe all the BS that PCGS spews about not grading problem coins or that they do not change their grading standards when in reality it is just the opposite. Some people are so gulibale they will believe anything they read.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    "Some people are so gulibale they will believe anything they read."

REALLY???

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If NGC and PCGS body bagged every early coin that had a minor scratch, had been cleaned or had some other relatively minor defeat, there would be very few early U.S. coins in slabs. Therefore you will will see net grading in early coins.

In this case I think that the person who submitted this coin was lucky. You could crack it out, send it in and get a body bag the next time around. Most of the time I would expect to see a coin like this in an ANACS holder with the grade of MS-64, scratched, net grade MS-60.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    ............it was submitted by a PCGS approved dealer.
  • sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    Bill it would say that one would qualify as more than "minor scratch" image
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    that's ridiculous.

example: a hole through a coin is a big problem, right?

what if the coin is a 1802 half-dime? all of a sudden, it becomes a minor problem in the eyes of many collectors, because you know what? there just aren't all that many 1802 half-dimes languishing around in dealer inventory waiting to be bought up.

sure, if the scratch on the ebay item you linked was on a 1998-d lincoln cent, yeah, it would be a big problem, but on a rare coin?

it's like saying that a page ripped out of a gutenberg bible makes it just another worthless paperback.

K S

• << <i>Yeah, ok so its net graded, but i thought they body bagged damaged coins???????????????????????/// >>

Unfortunately, PCGS has a long history of not following their own "rules"; and making up new rules as they go along.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Interesting to say the least.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set

"but in the 2d place, where did this gibberish of "pcgs won't grade problem coins" come from?".......................it came from me......been collecting for 33 years, but still learning. Glad to see my two cents worth are thought of as gibberish.......always fun to get feedback from your peers.

IMHO the coin is damaged and therefore by their own standards should not be graded......period. Yes they make exceptions/bend the rules....yes the coin is worth some ca$h, but I am surprised that it got slabbed by pcgs. I am sure there are tons of coins as important, if not more important/historically significant than the coin in question that got bagged for less.

I am sure that if i sent in my AU 1807 1/2 cent with graffiti on it, I would not get slabbed.

Its not surprising news, pcgs does what they want and they change the rules as they see fit.

If the coin was an 1802 half disme and it was holed.........I hope it would get bagged. Send it to Anacs and let them but a grade to it.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
    check out the no grade code 95 or 98...........what the F?????

Must be PCGS gibberish..........which makes it ok for such an important and historically significant coin.
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If NGC and PCGS body bagged every early coin that had a minor scratch, had been cleaned or had some other relatively minor defeat, there would be very few early U.S. coins in slabs. Therefore you will will see net grading in early coins. >>

If I can just complain for a moment. I once sent this coin to PCGS:

It's a beautiful coin, but there's a relatively minor scratch on the reverse (I don't have a picture handy). I thought maybe PCGS would go for it, but no dice. BB and now it looks great in my Dansco. I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I was annoyed at the time.

• << <i>where did this gibberish of "pcgs won't grade problem coins" come from?

K S >>

Maybe if you ever start submitting coins to them you'll find out!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
    So your saying you submit coins that are damaged and you get them graded?????????
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If your name is Fred Weinberg,you too could get a damaged coin slabbed by PCGS.image >>

I think you're on to something there!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market grading. The "error" has a market value of a problem free MS60, so it's slabbed and called MS60. The scratched late date lincoln has a market value of $0, so it's not slabbed. See, it's simple....imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file