Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newest technique for capturing color on pics (at least for me it's new).

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I got a macro photography book yesterday and it had some interesting techniques for taking pics, one of which applied well to coins and color. It involves light at a low angle from the side. It uses a piece of glass at 45 degrees over the object to reflect the light down onto the object. The picture is taken right through the glass. Allows pictures of toning without angling the camera.

I did it with the front of a jewel case between the coin and the camera. Here are two pics. First without jewel case, second with it. It again requires some editing of contrast and brightness to make it look nice but produces good results without the distortion of angled shots. Also added a professional quality drawing to show the technique better. These are preliminary pictures, but works pretty well.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    That's a great idea. I'll have to play with it.

BTW - my compliments to your illustrator.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Neat technique!
    I happen to have a couple pieces of glass and will also try this.
    I'll add my results after completion.
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    Very Cool info !! image

Thanks very much.

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    doesn't look like the same coin -- ie what a dramatic difference. Wowsers
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    This is another very helpful thread. I would have never thought of doing that. Thanks for the information.image
  • Options
    I am always amazed at the info I pick up here...You guys are good! imageimage
  • Options
    That is new to me too! I'll give it a try...
  • Options
    Sweet!
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    Cool! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Post of the week. Interesting.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    The glass technique works well...
    imageimage

I just need a camera with larger megapixels...
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed. What a difference. I'll have to try that. Where do you put the light source?
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Light is low and on the side, almost at ground level.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Hi mgoodm3. Wow! Another great piece of photography info from you. I'll try out the technique tomorrow. You are very kind to share this info with us mgoodm3. Thank you. image matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    Interesting concept! I don't know how I could set it up for my technique though. I'll probably spend all day at work tomorrow trying to come up with an idea to make it work.....Ken.... image
  • Options
    More duct tape!
  • Options
    Actually, the reason I use the duct tape is to keep the coins from being scratched on the wooden railing. It is very soft, but at the same time, very tough....Ken
  • Options
    Definitely works better.

Before

After

I still have some work to do with the lighting. The difference is there. Not as bold as some of the others on this thread.

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    Very nice...I'll be trying that. I don't know how well my camera (Olympus C-700) will do, but I'm gonna try.
    Thanks for the thread

Randy
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Now this is a cool idea I hadn't thought of. I can't wait to try it, but I'll have to. I won't be able to try it for about 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Very cool and thanks for sharing I'll have to try it tomorrow.

This book what is the name of it?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    link to book on Amazon.com

The book has some good general info about cameras and equipment, mostly related to film cameras, but will apply to digital SLR's. Also, there a coule chapters in the back of the book about taking home pictures of small things. They have some lighting ideas and techniques, some of which are applicable to coins. Most of the book is related to getting shots out in nature. some nice photos inside.
  • Options
    Hurray, an much easier way to capture color -- thanks for the info.

I have to try this, dang I wish it wasn't Sunday night!

Michael
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    1 of the koolest ideas i've seen !

K S
  • Options
    Hot damn this technique kicks butt. Here is my first shot at it. Left hand side shows image taken with camera tilted at 45 degrees and then the image rerounded in photoshop. Right side shows image with the glass at 45 degree technique. Besides cropping, resizing and a drop a drop shadow the only adjustment made in photoshop was a quick auto level.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    For those of you looking to set this up. Here's what I did. I took one of those 8X10 Glass picture holders that is basically an 8X10 piece of glass with a piece of 1/8 thick cardboard to backup to make mine. Cost me $6 for two of them. Any how I trigged out the correct size for the card board side pieces and used a hot glue gun to stick it all together.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any how I trigged out the correct size for the card board side pieces >>

Well, at least now I know why they wanted me to learn all that math in school image

Looks like an easy setup.........gonna have to try it.
    imageimage

• Options
    I will give this a shot also...maybe it will be the trick that finally works for me! image

I agree, this is an awesome place for good information.

Thanks everyone!

I also wonder what different types of glass might do...

Ken
  • Options
    Very interesting! I love this thread!

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I would like to have an adjustable angle on mine because the light cant be perfectly placed and the angle may not be right to get the bright part of the light directly over the coin. Then you dont have to screw with the camera and the coin when setting it up.
  • Options
    thank you thank you thank you!!!!

imageimageimageimageimage
    anita
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GaCoinGuy - RE: Math

Wonder if the 45 degree angle is critical? If I recall correctly the Pythagreon Theorem dictates that the hypotonus (45 degree angled glass) has a specific relationship to the two sides such that a right angle is mandated. (side a squared plus side b squared = c (hypotonous) squared.)
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Great idea, I too will give this a whirl and let you all know how it comes out image
  • Options
    Forget it...this post was stupid image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    can't wait to try this!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I just built it and tried it...I can't get it to work right image Maybe I need a larger zoom lens.

I can't get close enough to the coin... Hey, maybe if I put something under the coin to bring it closer to the glass... image I'll be back.

Ray
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    ttt
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I think it also depends on your camera. This sounds like a neat technique, but I haven't found it necessary, at least with my cameras.

• Options
    Old thread. I really don't use the technique anymore, may have to work on it sometime. I need some better lighting and an easily workable contraption first.
  • Options
    I don't use it much because I can get nice color on MS coins with the SLR without it. Slabbed proofs are still a problem to get nice color because they only show the color at an angle. I need stronger lights, more room and a better contraption before I can get serious with it again.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Using this technique:

non slabbed piece...

slabbed piece...

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Aren't you using an SLR now, Scott? Do you agree with mgoodm3's assessment?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    When this technique was first mentioned, I tried it. I found it to be awkward, and every time you go to shoot an image you need to be sure the glass is absolutely clean with no specks or streaks. There are other ways to accomplish diffusing the lighting without this much trouble. Here is a coin in a slab, with nothing between the lense and the coin.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric, I'd say you've completely mastered the art of taking accurate coin photos.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Thanks Pat. It's been three years, over 10,000 shots and hours of practice but I think I have finally got a handle on getting accurate images.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    " Aren't you using an SLR now, Scott?"

Naw, I've been using a now old Nikon Coolpix 995 digital camera...too many moving parts on the other cameras...
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cacheman

Great web site.
    Larry

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image cacheman that's an "AWESOME" Collection you have!!!!!!!!! Congrat's, Lee
  • Options
    I've had mixed results with the angled glass. It could be my budget camera. Some times I get great results just playing with the position of the lights.

For example:

Very close to the actual coin. This is the best picture I've taken to date. No tricks on this one, just moved the lighting around to get the best picture.

I use two lights with 40 watt Reveal bulbs. One that is a basic desk lamp, and one that I hold and can move around while trying bring out the color. I also have found that the NGC slabbed coins seem to come out better I guess due to the white insert.

This one I took with the angled glass, and a lower light setting.

I'm going to start using a white background when taking pictures of PCGS graded coins.

Dennis

• Options

<< <i>I'm going to start using a white background when taking pictures of PCGS graded coins. >>

Don't. It will throw your white balance off and you will get all sorts of weird tints in your images.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file