Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Reflections on my time here. (winners in last post)

Dear Darksiders,
I took the last few days off from posting (probably unnoticed) to think about what keeps bringing me back to this forum. I am certainly busy enough with work and wife and trying to keep the bugs out of my garden that I could occupy my time with those concerns. But I realized quickly there really is a special group of people here. Although my collecting interests have a decidedly narrow focus on just Irish Coins and PNCs, people here are very tolerant of my questions, proddings and quips. When I came close to resigning from the forum almost a year ago due to a very crushing financial situation I was very moved to have a couple of you PM to say that you hoped I would stick around, should the random Irish coin thread begin, or on the slim chance that I could lend any insight toward a post. Eventually the money situation turned around and I am glad to be able to buy coins again and occasionally post my finds here.
Enough rambling, I suppose. In short I wish to say thanks to everyone here.

In form with the obligatory 1000th post routine, I shall be having a giveaway with my next post. An Irish prize is fitting so first will be a pre-introduction set. Info from www.irishcoinage.com :

"The decimal coins were produced from 1969 onwards - the coins were dated no earlier than their introduction date so the all the bronze coins were dated 1971 even though many were produced in 1969 and 1970. The 5p and 10p were introduced in 1969 and dated that year. The 50p was introduced in 1970 so the 1969 production were all dated 1970.

Introductory sets were available from mid 1969 - these sets in a green card folder are easily identified as pre introduction sets because the wording on the back page begins "Ireland will change to decimal ..." despite this these folders were used until at least 1975. The coins are inserted in holes cut in the card and a plastic slip covers both sides - the sets is easily opened and many now have bronze coins with tarnish from being handled.

In 1971 a set of polished specimen coins was issued - these are sealed in a plastic slip and in a green plastic wallet - these sets were available from the Central Bank of Ireland until late 1999 - at their original issue price of £3.50."

and also there will be a drawing for GOLD!!!!. Don't get excited, there was only 1 Republic of Ireland gold coin, and I don't even own it yet. This will be a very, very small coin, given just for the sake of saying that I once had a gold giveaway.

Post to enter. Drawing when I feel like posting again which will be my 1000th post. (I have gone through slight withdrawal, so it could be soon.)
-john
Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Let me one of the first to say I'm glad you decided to stay!!!!! Keep posting.
    And please put my name in the hat.
    Shep
  • Options
    I'd like to second that!
    Please add my name to the giveaway list of greed mongers. image
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your impending milestone, John. (As of this post, you're hangin' at 999). image

Don't enter me- I just wanted to say it's been nice and I hope you'll be around for a while to come. The "Green Side" must be well represented! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy pending 1000th!!! I would greedily like to enter the giveaway, though I wonder if the traveling Satootoko shouldn't be entered too? I know he likes a good giveaway! Please keep posting ... I always like seeing your quote "Nobody gets hurt collecting coins" --brings a smile every time image (see!).

Cathy

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    It's Sandra Bullock's quote actually ; she said this while she was in a drug rehab (in the movie, not in real life), so it shouldn't be taken seriously. image

I enjoy your posts too John, and your short absence didn't go unnoticed. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    John I love irish coinsimage And I am glad you decided to stick around.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I truly enjoy all of your posts, John! You bring insight and enjoyment to the Darkside. Thanks for being a part of this underworld!

Congrats on the milestone too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on 1000 posts, and hurrah to another collector of Irish coins. I have gained new knowledge about Irish numismatics just from your posts and the links you have shared. I don't need to be in the giveaway, but just wanted to say thanks.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>But I realized quickly there really is a special group of people here. >>

Yes, but they can't forcibly institutionalize folks anymore. image

<< <i>... or on the slim chance that I could lend any insight toward a post. >>

Sorry, John, but you missed April Fool's by a week. image

I'm really glad you stayed John! The more dimensions to the Dark Side, the better. Everyone has a useful contribution to make and the day folks here start to discourage questions will probably be the day I start thinking about leaving. Living on the Dark Side, all of us are frequently reminded to be humble, that there are -- and always will be -- areas in which we are novices. It may be possible to be a "Breen" on the Liteside, but the Dark Side is just too broad for anyone's knowledge and experience to encompass it all.

Faith and begorrah, you're a good lad, John!! imageimageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    John,

Congrats on #1000. I have the last year (2000) decimal mint set coming and would love to have the first year. So, please enter me in the drawing.

Thanks,
    Larry
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    I am glad you decided to stay also. Sincere coin collectors, no matter their avenue of collecting are the best!
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    Congratulations on your upcoming milestone! And since we are told on some authority that the Irish saved civilization I for one am glad that you're here to help save ours... image

Edited to correct Irish spelling... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Like you, I'm glad I found this forum, and I have enjoyed your posts. Thanks for the chance! image
  • Options
    Congratulations

I know I have some way to go to match the incredible number of posts that most members attain, so I will keep plugging away.

Please enter my name in the giveaway

Dr J
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Molann an obair an fear! The work praises the man and I have enjoyed your being here and glad you are going to stay. Besides, we need the balance! If you were ever to leave I'd be the lone Irishmen at the mercy of one crazy Scotsman and a handful of Britsimage So happy am I you're here! Please do not enter me in your lovely giveaway.

Slan,
    Micheál
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I have grown to love the coins of Ireland and have purchased many lately. I would like to enter and if I win please let Shipcoin have the winning entry.
    Your posts have always been interesting, level-headed, and highly contributory-I'm glad you hung around!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The modern Irish coins are very underappreciated. All the Irish coins are interesting
    and should get more attention as time goes on.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    "...at the mercy of one crazy Scotsman..." --MSD

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind comments, and you are stuck with me now because I think I will never leave this group of wonderful people. Where else could you comfortably exchange hundreds of dollars of coins or money with somebody known to you only by their reputation.

The winners of the giveaway are: Pre-decimal set: Brad (tbirde56 )

Gold coin: Vern (elverno) (don't get too excited, it is a very very small coin)

Please PM you addresses and the coins will go out on Monday.

Best Regards - John
    Wanted: High grade Irish (Republic of Ireland, not Northern Ireland or British) coins, slabbed and unslabbed. Also looking for Proof and Uncirculated Sets
    PM with info.

Auction Sniper For all your sniping needs. Tell them I sent you and I'll get three free snipes!

e-bay ID= 29john29
  • Options
    Thanks John! PM sent.
    Brad Swain

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Winners, That was a fantastic giveaway image
  • Options
    Wow John! Thanks a bunch! image

Doesn't matter how small a coin it is, you just can't go wrong with gold... image

Watch for my "Got my Taxes Done" giveaway starting tomorrow (when I actually get them finished)... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the winners of a nice giveaway.

Glad you stuck around here. I've learned some things about Irish coins. While I don't collect them now I have been tempted to on a number of occasions.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Hey, Micheál, don't fret so ... we've also got us a Manxman in Tonyhar -- he'll keep the crazy Scotsman from coming over the sea to get ye! imageimage
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he'll keep the crazy Scotsman from coming over the sea to get ye! >>

Aye, ye'll remember 'twas tha Scots-Irish Wildmen o' tha Appalacians what did send Crazy George's boys a packin' for the Tower. Here's a toast to true Irishmen that remember always the treachery of Kinsale and Scotsmen who still hear the cry of Culloden and the Clearances.

Slainte mhath to ya John, and here's to yer next 1000, lad. image
  • Options
    John, I received the set today! It makes a great addition to my collection. Thanks for the cool giveaway!
    Brad Swain

• Options
    Congratulations on your milestone John, and good luck to you and your coin collecting! image

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    What are PNCs?
  • Options
    John, thanks for the great little gold coin! It has become my grandson's official first gold coin and is the perfect size for my big man... image

I appreciate both the coin and the nice note.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    Brad and Vern, I'm glad you both got the coins ok, and that you like them.

What are PNCs?
    Hey Colin, that is short for "philatelic numismatic cover". In other words, a coin in an envelope that has a stamp on it that has been postmarked. Confusing concept, but here is one I just bought that shows the concept clearly:

new PNC

-john
    PM with info.

e-bay ID= 29john29