Home U.S. Coin Forum

My First Bust Half

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Nice! XF-45?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Cool !! image I don't know anything about them but yours looks awesome!!

Congrats'

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cosmicdebris: That's a very nice original looking Bust Half! Well done -- especially for your first one. image
    However I must warn you that purchasing Bust Halves may be habit-forming and therefore hazardous to your financial health image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    A forum member is responsible for itimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I liiiike it!image
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Well Done !!! I love those coins.

imageimage
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I love bust halves...
  • GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    "However I must warn you that purchasing Bust Halves may be habit-forming and therefore hazardous to your financial health" This is very true Stuart!

cosmicdebris, Very nice but if you are going to start collecting these buy only slabbed material.
    NGC in particual will not give you any breaks on these. Out of the 82 Bust Halves I just sent to them, as per my post last week, 42 were body bagged. If they have old friction from coin cabnets, if they were ever dipped, if they even think they look re-toned, if they have a small scratch, or anything that the grader just does not like NGC will bag it. They do not care how rare it may be. Perhaps Stuart or someone else will give you some info. on submitting Raw Bust material to PCGS.

• puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    Gorgeous half Bill!image

• << <i>"However I must warn you that purchasing Bust Halves may be habit-forming and therefore hazardous to your financial health" This is very true Stuart!

cosmicdebris, Very nice but if you are going to start collecting these buy only slabbed material.
    NGC in particual will not give you any breaks on these. Out of the 82 Bust Halves I just sent to them, as per my post last week, 42 were body bagged. If they have old friction from coin cabnets, if they were ever dipped, if they even think they look re-toned, if they have a small scratch, or anything that the grader just does not like NGC will bag it. They do not care how rare it may be. Perhaps Stuart or someone else will give you some info. on submitting Raw Bust material to PCGS. >>

If you believe what most people on this board say, that PCGS has a stricter grading standard and are less likely to grade problem coins then you will have more body bags from submitting to PCGS then NGC. That is of course if you believe what most on this board say. If you only stick to slabbed coins (something reserved for the registry crowd) you will not have a chance to buy many of the types/varieties out there since most Bust materiel does not meet the standards set forth by the big two (unless of course your last name is Benson) so most real Bust collectors realize slab only does not work. I once owned hundreds of Bust halves and only two were bought slabbed (and immediately cracked out) and I enjoyed them a lot and never had any trouble selling them when I decided to cut the number I owned to a few dozen. The most valuable coins I ever owned were circulated cleaned/scratched 1807 capped Busties and had no problem realizing mid to high four figures for them when I sold them at auction. Bust halves are a great affordable coin with many interesting varieties and die states but very few ever really make it into slabs unless they are near uncirc and even most pieces graded UNC really show signs of wear/cabnit friction and should only make CH.AU
  • Very nice......image
    JoeCool
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of the 82 Bust Halves I just sent to them, as per my post last week, 42 were body bagged. If they have old friction from coin cabnets

Ummm...I have never had any coin get bagged from "cabinet friction"

If a coin is original and no problems, they will slab it, even with cabinet friction image. NGC does tend to be tougher on what they tend to call market acceptable for minor problem coins IMO. Just learn what the services are looking for if you want slabs...

42/82 is a rough day GS but now you know I imagine what they like/dont like...

John
  • GOLDSAINTGOLDSAINT Posts: 2,148
    coinlieutenant, NGC bagged one and marked it friction, what is worse than that they bagged a Japanese coin because they said they could not read the lanquage. This was not an old coin but one from pre ww II.

• puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    I got this coin several years ago that Bill just posted from a small dealer about 85 miles from where I live which the dealer had graded AU 58...... At the time I bought it I was collecting type coins and when I decided to focus on Walkers I just placed it in the back of my safe and had more or less forgotten about it until an earlier post where a comment and picture of a bust half was shown and I made a comment on the half that was posted and then posted a picture of my own half.....When Bill saw the bust half that I had posted in response to the thread Bill sent me a PM and let me know he might be interested in buying it if my half was for sale, so I sold it to him for exactly what I paid for it several years ago because of his help with my sig line.image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet coin! You're off to a good start!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is that the small 0 or large 0
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys and especially puffimage

Now to answer a few of you. First the easiest, yes it is a small "O".

As for the slabbing, PCGS VS NGC, I have no intentions of slabbing this coin nor am I thinking of buying anymore bust halves right now. In Fact I may buy A Dansco Album for Early US Type. ( I love what Baily posts all the time )

For the past few weeks I got an itch to slowly start collecting some US early type. I decided I wanted to start with a Bust half. I started going through eBay, Heritage, David Lawrence and any other website I could find that had any. Most of the coins did not have the look I wanted or if they did the price was way out of my budget. When I saw puff's picture of his bust half I told him I love that 1830 Bust half you just posted and was wondering if you don't mind me asking how much would one like that go for? He offered me the coin for a very reasonable price and the rest is history.image

P.S. It also so much easier to Photo Graph a coin when it is not is in a slabimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    nice half Bill...where did you say you live, I can be there in 20 image

Kudos to puff for being soooooooooo coooooooooool

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Purtyful coin Bill! image
    -George
    42/92

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji