Home U.S. Coin Forum

1953-S Jefferson 6FS, What do you think?

Here is a link to the auction:

1953-S 6FS

I e-mailed the seller and he said he has not submitted the coin for the grading. The price it outrageous, but do you jefferson experts think the steps are real?

Mark
Mark

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

My non jefferson collection opinion is too many fused steps.
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    I've looked at this auction and have dealt with this dealer a number of times. He's a good and honest fellow, but I think this "aution" is absurd. He clams to never submit to the TPGs, but he needs to step up to the plate on this one, then submit the coin to a good aution house. The only way to determine the value of this coin is thorugh auction. I simply do not think that there is any way to place a demand value on the piece, especially without concurrence from either NGC or PCGS. Since NGC distiguishes between 5 and 6 step nickels, they would be the right service for submission.

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    It's probably a reverse from another coin. 53s is next to impossible to find with full steps.

Don
    I'm sure that Larry has not posted the reverse of another coin. He is not a dishonest fellow. Some of his nickels do not cut the mustard for the FS designation from the TPGs, but he will tell you that outright if you ask him. Again, for this coin, he needs to submit it.

Hoot
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    The opening bid price seems a tad high.

Russ, NCNE
    I just emailed him attempting to convince him to submit the coin for grading and designation, then have it auctioned. I doubt he will, but I also let him know that this has gotten some bad press (this isn't the first thread on the topic).

Hoot
  • From what I can see it doesn't look like 6 full steps to me. Maybe he should send it to PCGS because they give out the FS designation even if a coin has only 5 full steps image
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see the strike of the obverse.
    Mark
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    $66,666.66 and not a penny more!
    DSW
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    You can see that there is no detail for the windows

The front is more then likely a pancake too

The steps showing on a weak strike puzzle me, but it's not the first time I have seen them that way.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    im sure theres plenty of bridges n nicks to prevent this from that des.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file