Home U.S. Coin Forum

To Crack or Not To Crack? NCG to PCGS

I have an NGC coin that was the topic of another forum but it's getting kinda long so I would like to know if I should:

a.) Crack this baby out and send it into PCGS. (and if so how do I do it without damaging the coin)

b.) Do a crossover.

Here is a picture of the coin.

From the previous forum you guys said she should grade in the MS66-MS67 range with a possible PL designation.
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    crack.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • Crack.

Cameron Kiefer

• Use a hacksaw
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Crack!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    Use a hacksaw?

You are joking, right?
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

• Cut the top and across the bottom then 1 side. Stay away from the coin edge.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Keep it where it is...it's fine...
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    poorguy: I recommend that you leave it in the older "keyless" NGC holder where it will continue to gracefully edge tone with a beautiful brown patina -- as Morgans typically do in that type of holder image

...and if you turn on your private message receiving option, you'll probably get several offers to purchase the coin as is image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    No, no, no...I say again...NO!! Do not crack that out of the slab!!! I agree with Stuart in saying let it be. For one, it is a beautiful coin right where it is. Second, if you crack it out and submit it to be graded you may not like the grade that comes back.
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    If it is your intention to upgrade it to sell it then crack it, but if you intend to hold onto it I suggest you place a notation on the reverse of the slab to upgrade it before selling and then leave it alone.

Personally I don't think it will make a 7, and judging by the scan/pic if those are hairlines that are causing the distortion in the fields, I wouldn't expect a 6 either.

Jim
    No there are no hairlines in the fields.
    I just turned on my private messaging. I never knew it was off.

Everybody seems to have strong opinions both ways.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you decide to crack, I'd recommend the VICE method: place slab in bench vice, coin facing up. squeeze just until it cracks along seams, take out, turn 90 degrees, squeeze again. Slab opens like a book:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

That way sounds a little better than the hacksaw method. -Thanks
  • Vise works very well on the older NGC slabs , which this is.

On new NGC slabs, hacksaw is better option.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On new NGC slabs, hacksaw is better option.

you think? involves a lot of sawing, plastic dust gets everywhere, and I've found the vice works fine on new slabs too (my peace dollar was in a newer slab)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    You guys make it so complicated. Just get one of these:

And, soon you'll have a box of these:

Russ, NCNE
  • I went to the Russ, NCNE School of Slab Hammering...image

• << <i>General Method

Tools required: vise, hammer, chisel; safety glasses or goggles Method: Secure the slab in the vise along either long side. The vise should overlap only enough plastic to ensure that the holder is secured (1/4 inch or so). Tighten as necessary to avoid slab movement while you're using the hammer and chisel. Position the chisel in the seam between the two pieces of plastic near the upright corner further from the coin. Carefully tap the chisel with the hammer until the plastic pieces separate. Ideally, the chisel will wedge between the two pieces and can be used to pry them completely apart. Carefully remove the coin from the separated/fragmented plastic.

PCGS

Tools required: lineman's pliers or wire cutters; safety glasses or goggles Method: Position the pliers along either long side of the slab at the middle of the coin such that the cutting edges are outside the edge of the coin. Squeeze forcefully. The plastic will crack across the entire width of the holder. Carefully separate the plastic pieces and remove the coin. >>

J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    imageJMHO but #1- The coin appears to be accurately graded from what I can make of it from
    one dimensional imagery.

#2- You COULD damage it. Anything could happen!

#3- Weigh how much it is valued at in it's present grade, in it's present holder
    versus what it's worth would be.. one grade lower in a PCGS holder. THAT, besides
    possible damage, is what really determines whether or not you should crack it.

#4- JMHO- I would suggest submitting it in it's holder. If the value of coin one grade lower
    with PCGS is anywhere close to where it is now-then on your submission form write
    "Cross at any grade" This shows trust and confidence in our graders. If it would be worth less
    money one grade lower in a PCGS slab then I suggest you write "Cross only to corresponding
    grade." This way you are only out the cost of submission and not a damaged coin!

#5-If you do crack it out and it does not come back as you are hoping, you're right back to square one submitting a raw coin back to NGC HOPING to get the grade you presently have..image
  • Russ...I see ANACS, PCGS, NGC, ICG and even NTC in that box...but no ACG......uh oh....is THIS gonna get ME dragged into it now???

MFS
    'My name is...... Shakezula, the mic rulah, the old schoola, you wanna trip, I'll bring it to ya.....'
  • Crack it, but use a vise....... image
    JoeCool
  • I am with Boom. Try crossing it in the holder at the same or higher. I recently sent in a PCI MS62 in the holder and it came back in a MS63...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I see ANACS, PCGS, NGC, ICG and even NTC in that box...but no ACG...... >>

It's not that my hammer is prejudiced, I just haven't bought any ACG since I started saving the cracked slabs. image BTW, besides what you listed, I also have PCI, SEGS, Truegrade, and NSCGS. My hammer is truly an equal opportunity device. image

Russ, NCNE
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    Crossover. I've only done one crossover and it turned out just fine.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Crack and use a vise, it works great.......image
    coconut
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I cut mine out with a dremel

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give the most consideration to the question "what if it doesn't cross?" If you have a high degree of confidence or hope as the case may be that it will cross then send it in still in the slab. If you feel you will get an upgrade the odds of getting the upgrade are likely better if the coin is cracked out IMO. If the coin doesn't cross you will get it back in the holder otherwise you accept it raw or spend extra time and $$$ trying to get it back into the original company's holder at the same grade, not a given by any means.
    theknowitalltroll;

• There are so many of that date already in PCGS slabs and they're not expensive. The next step up is not much money either so I would just keep this one the way it is. If you think NGC missed the PL or DMPL send it in for a review. imho.

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Cross it over only if you intend to sell it. Contrary to the mantra of "buy the coin" the vast majority of people will haggle downwards and ignore the merits of the coin until it's theirs. If you're going to keep it, don't mess with it.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking Morgan. Surely looks better than 65 at first glance. If you crack it, consider using an electric bandsaw (or hand hacksaw) to saw three sides just inside the seal. No sharp pieces of plastic flying around that way. Take your time. Good luck.
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

That only works on Kennedys image

I use the hacksaw method, only lost blood once to a slab...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file