Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1811 Loge de St. Jean, Masonic medal

This piece is in the process of being researched. The respected reference on Napoleonic medals, Bramsen, lists this as entry number 1148. Unlike 99.9% of the thousands of pieces listed this one has a question mark next to the name. I have a friend in England who is researching it in his copy of Marvin's Medals of the Masonic Fraternity, a book that only had 160 copies made in 1882. This piece also comes from the collection of Prince Victor Napoleon which was sold in 1975.

I love our hobby! image

Vern
You want how much?!!
NapoleonicMedals.org
(Last update 3/6/2007)

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The eagle looks like it is peeing.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Vern, it's always a pleasure seeing selections from the world's foremost medal collection!!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Extremely appealing medal vern!

Fascinating pedigree- This piece also comes from the collection of Prince Victor Napoleon and to be in the "still being researched" mode makes it even more interesting.

I really like the look, some wear but very attractive; why does the slight clip at 12:00 on the obverse not show on the reverse? Or is that obverse rim damage only?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    The clip is more obvious on the obverse than the reverse, not sure why. Also, while it's definitely wear on the obverse the reverse has more of the look of a weak strike combined with wear.

This is probably a Paris loge (or lodge in English) and may have been one where men and women were both members. There were very few of them, as most people probably know freemasonry is a fraternity or brotherhood and mixed lodges are no longer part of the organization.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    I love seeing these medals, elverno.

Thank you for taking the time, and sharing the information.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    It's always nice to get an unlisted type!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Now there's one eagle Cosmic doesn't have!! image
  • Options
    Geez I must have Eagle envyimage