Home U.S. Coin Forum

can someone review in 100 words or less this book for me? Breen Half Cent Encyclopedia 1793-1857

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
Is it mostly correct

is it worth 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 or how many $$

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I refuse to buy ANY Breen books because of his history! I do not believe you can seperate the person from the numismatist. Walter Breen was the lowest form of scumbag!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    The book is worth $30 or so if you are collecting the HCs by variety....nice plates. Manley's book is also a must for half cents.

And yes. It turns out that Breen was less than unsavory.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    pm sent with a reply
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the deal with Breen? I was thinking about buying his coin encyclopedia.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

he was a convicted pedophile who got murdered?? while in prison

concentrate on the good things like his books

so the deal is buy his books

michael
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    If you are interested in half cents, the Breen Encyclopedia of US Half Cents is a MUST buy. The background historical information is fantastic, the variety diagnostic information is very good, and the photography is exceptional. The die state information is not as complete as in Manleys book but it is still good. The condition census information is becoming dated but still good. The binding and paper qualiy of the book itself is first class.

75 words

Aethelred, since so much later work has built upon or included Breen's work you had better get rid of any books on US coins published since 1945 (ncluding auction catalogs) and forget about most any infomation that you have learned about them in the past thirty years or so.
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    Simply said:The book is a classic and must for half cent collectors.
    Trime
  • RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Overall, the Breen book HC is very good. Not excellent, but very good. As Conder pointed out, the photography is excellent, tho' the missing examples in the grading section are a definite minus and the result of laziness. Be careful with hte historical info - much is "Breenisms". Breen loved a good story and would choose it every day over the dull, boring historical facts. The die state info was questionable at the time and with the Manley book, now out of date.

In short, if you want a nicely bound book with good photos for attribution, but it. If you want to specialize, the Manley book with Cohen is probably a better route, tho' researchers will end up with all.

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    < 100 words? i can do it in 3

"get the book"

K S
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Book, good.
    Author, not so much.

peacockcoins

• lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I have this book and it's good.

Ray
  • mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    "Buy the book, not the man" <-- Copyright mrdq 2004

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • The Breen Half Cent Book is fantastic. The photos are spectacular, the binding & paper used are first rate. I use it for attribution all the time.

• I'll add my comments too:

All of his books provide valuable information and are worthwhile. He did take some liberties in his books regarding the speculation of some missing information, however, it is still worthwile.

As a side not, Breen was a pig, however, he is wrapped in numismatics and he is constantly referenced in auction catalog, books, articles etc. It's a simple fact of life when you are involved in this hobby when dealing with US Coins. I do not let his actions effect the enjoyment I have collecting with my kids.

Rich
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the book, and think that it is very good. There is lots of good info there, and its well worth owning if you are interested in half cent die varieties.

The two weakest parts of the book are the condition census information, which has been controversal from the start (most advanced collectors think that it is imcomplete) and the binding. I don't why this book and the Encyclopedia insist upon becoming "lose leaf binders."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Ron Manley's book on the die states of half cents is MUCH better, IMHO.
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This is what I couls find about the man.

Walter Breen, born 1930, known as W. J. Brilling and J. Z. Eglinton, was another overlooked Gay genius who died largely unnoticed. When he visited ONE's office in 1955, bringing along TWO, his mimeographed satire on ONE Magazine (with articles by Dal McIntrcourse and Lyn Pederast -- take-offs on my chief pen-names), he showed off his pudgy resemblance to the young Byron or Wilde. An avid numismatist and a science fiction fan, he was married for years to noted Lesbian sci-fi writer Marian Zimmer Bradley, who had launched the first checklist of Lesbian literature. Both were later ordained to the Eastern Orthodox priesthood by the late Gay Bishop Mikhail Itkin. By then, living in Berkeley, Breen affected the counterculture hair and dress style of Old Father Time.

He wrote the historic survey of pedophile literature, Greek Love (1964), and edited two informative issues of The international Journal of Greek Love, a taboo topic in many Gay circles today. Breen published over 40 works on coins, including the authoritative Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins. A former researcher at the National Archives, Breen was always a controversial, if charismatic, figure in the Gay movement, and an eloquent speaker.

An excellent, empathetic and innovative teacher of gifted children, and an advocate of the pedophilic tradition of education which was highly honored in Victorian England and Germany, Breen was accused of child molesting in the 1960's, blackmailed out of sci-fi circles, and separated from Bradley. She continued as a prolific sci fi writer, and he, a world-renowned authority on rare coins -- flaunting his long white beard and flowered shirts, but not his interest in boy-love. He was arrested on a child molestation charge in October, 1991 at the Superior Stamp & Coin Galleries in Beverly Hills. The apparently willing boy was the son of friends of Breen's. He died two years later in prison, abandoned by most of his friends.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone Aethelred...

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I refuse to buy ANY Breen books because of his history! I do not believe you can seperate the person from the numismatist. Walter Breen was the lowest form of scumbag! >>

you should refuse to live in the usa then, since thomas jefferson, 1 of the country's founding fathers, was a womanizer & adulterer.

K S
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Sheldon was no prince either. Granted, he was no child molester, but he was a large cent kleptomaniac. Are we able to separate the researcher from the person in Sheldon's case?

The guy who wrote the Master and Commander series of books abandoned a sick wife and kids (or a sick kid and wife) for another woman, how do we feel about that?

I think that the academic work of a person should stand separate from who the person is.

Except Mein Kampf, written by Hitler that is.
    DSW
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

And what about Dr. William Sheldon,who invented the 70 point scale of grading in use today.He was a reknowned THIEF.He stole (switched ) large cents from the American Numismatic Society.He then sold them to Ted Nafzger.
    He also was the preeminent writer of bigotry.His book which compared different body types (endomorphic,ectomorphic and mezzomorphic) human beings.He believed some human beings were better than others.

Stewart

Yes,there were and still are many controversial numistmatists besides Walter Breen and Dr. William Sheldon
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let he who is without sin cast the first stone Aethelred... >>

None of us are perfect, but as a father of two I can't seperate Breen's work from his "personal" life.

<< <i>you should refuse to live in the usa then, since thomas jefferson, 1 of the country's founding fathers, was a womanizer & adulterer. >>

Yes, but Mr. Jefferson was not a child rapist nor did he write books attempting to justify his actions like Breen did. I am a die hard Republican, but if Bill Clinton wrote a useful coin book I would buy it. On the other hand I would not want a coin book written by Hitler and I do not want anything by Breen.

I do not hold anything against anyone who owns or uses a Breen book nor do I think any less of that person. However, I personally can't seperate the person from the body of numismatic work. Just my opinion and I am not in any way knocking you if you have one!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a review, but...

There's a great picture of Breen in his library in the Half Cent Encyclopedia. Jack Collins, the photographer, had four beautifully framed prints on canvas produced, one of which hangs on my library wall. I keep it there to remind me that we're all human. (OK, also a little because Breen was a great numismatist, and besides, it's a really cool picture. Hey, life is complicated.) Anyway, after five years, it still makes me a little uncomfortable having the thing on my wall. I guess that means it still has a purpose for me, so I should keep it right where it is.

Then again, I'm coin dealer, so PM me if you want to buy it. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file