Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fresh overpriced US Mint stuff

I realize we have some US Mint personnel in our boards so I'll try to be gentile...

I received 2-2003 Proof Sets, 2-2003 Proof Quarter Sets and 2-2003 Proof Silver Sets today and damaged/spotted proof coins in all but the Silver Proof sets and one Proof Quarter Set!imageimage

When will I learn my damn lesson?
Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    US MINT PERSONNEL? Here on the boards? Where are they step up I have a complaint.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fragmentum: I haven't purchased any U.S. Mint products directly from the mint in decades -- but I'm not much of a modern coin colelctor.

However, recently one of my local coin dealers had a couple of dozen 1980-90's vintage Canadian Proof Sets and boy was I impreseed with the quality of the coins, the quality of the packaging, and the beautiful coin designs! I was so impressed that I purchased several of them -- just because they were so beautiful...

At the time I commented that I wish that the U.S. Mint would/could issue a top quality product like the RCM.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    This is why I quit buying from the mint!
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    I have many of the Canadian proof sets from 1979 to 2003, and for the most part, they are superior to the U.S. proof sets. image
  • Canadian proof sets are awesome -- great coins in quality leather-covered albums that have nice inserts and pocket parts for information about the coins, authenticity certificates, etc. The U.S. Mint silver proof sets are pathetic by comparison (and this includes the U.S. Premier and Prestige sets from the 80s and 90s and even gold bullion and commemoratives). The RCM proof sets are so nice you don't want to break them up, whereas I can't wait to take a screwdriver and mallet to the U.S. sets.

I collect U.S. coins almost exclusively, and I like them the best. But the U.S. Mint gets owned by the RCM when it comes to the quality of the annual and special coin sets.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll try to be gentile >>

That's funny...you don't LOOK gentile! image
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    After one such transaction,I started buying mine from dealers.That way I could choose the one I wanted.I paid a little more,but got what I wanted.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

Kinda sounds like recycled returns.

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i had the same bad customer service and also problem sets i ordered from the mint and this was close to 30 years ago so i have not bought from them since

though i wish i had bought some of those buffalo dollar sets among others too LOL

michael
  • I think an exchange/return would be in order. I am sure they accept them. Request non-spotted coins. image
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    OK, I'll pretend to be Mint personnel here under a pseudonym.

It's not true, but it will do for flaming purposes until the real ones get here!
    DSW
  • FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    LAWMAN,
    Your a GEM.... or maybe just BU....image
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

You probably received picked over sets that have already been returned. Dealers will buy many,many sets and cherry pick through them and return 80% back to the mint for a refund.

The Mint puts them back on the shelf and sends them out to the next unsuspecting buyer who thinks he is getting original never opened sets direct from the mint.

It's a bigger scam than anything ever sold on eBay
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "The Mint puts them back on the shelf and sends them out to the next unsuspecting buyer who thinks he is getting original never opened sets direct from the mint."

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if that is true? I used to own shares of the company that does the warehousing and shipping for the Mint.

According to their February 11th release, "PFSweb Helps Make United States Mint Tops in Customer Satisfaction". Is there a problem? LOL

Jim
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    thats what you get for waiting so long to get your 03s. just kidding. thats why I buy my mint sets from my dealer. I may have to pay a little more but I can pick the set I want.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
    After inspecting all 6 sets, they are all defective and going back for replacement today. I'll give them one chance on the replacements, then I'll have to order BULK to get clean undamaged proof sets!
    Here is what I found;
    This order included;

2 PO3 2003 10-COIN PROOF SET
    2 QO3 2003 5-COIN QUARTERS PROOF SET
    2 VO3 2003 US MINT SILVER PROOF SET

Every set exhibited damage, dirt or debris on coins.

Details as follows;

QO3 2003 5-COIN QUARTERS PROOF SET
    Set one; Damage in field at 7:30 position obverse of Arkansas Proof Quarter
    Set two; Strikethrough damage or nick in center field of Missouri Proof Quarter. Dark spot on upper jaw on Washington obverse of Illinois Proof Quarter.

PO3 2003 10-COIN PROOF SET
    Set one; Black spot on jaw of Washington on Illinois Proof Quarter
    Set two; Strikethrough damage just above horizon line on reverse of Maine Proof Quarter.

VO3 2003 US MINT SILVER PROOF SET
    Set one; Spot in field behind head and on neck of Washington. Scuff marks near rim from 7 o’clock through 9 o’clock position on obverse of Alabama Proof Quarter.
    Set two; Human hair inside lens on top of Missouri Proof Quarter

I have a letter going into the Mint as well outlining the problems.
    Too bad. Worst Proof coins I've ever received.
    I do have some Canadian proofs and they are lovely!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I realize we have some US Mint personnel in our boards so I'll try to be gentile...

I received 2-2003 Proof Sets, 2-2003 Proof Quarter Sets and 2-2003 Proof Silver Sets today and damaged/spotted proof coins in all but the Silver Proof sets and one Proof Quarter Set!imageimage

When will I learn my damn lesson? >>

And yet, have you read the latest? The mint is getting ready to raise the prices for 2004 Proof sets because you are getting another nickel, AND they need to charge more so that they can maintain the quality of their products. Last year I got a silver Proof set with a great big finger print on the dime. I had to spend money to send it back. Isn't nice to know that they are working to maintain their standards? image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    I did call the US Mint today and explained my problem with the merchandise, and they offered to refund my return shipping and insurance. They also noted my order number and will pass the defects noted to whomever is in charge of the quality control.
    I consider this good quality customer service.
    I mentioned to the customer service rep that as a collector I wished to own only a few sets, but that my other option was to purchase in bulk, inspect for quality and return those that did not pass. I mentioned this is costly and time consuming on both of our parts and to preclude additional expense to both the consumer and the mint, that better quality inspection should be implemented.
    We will see what the replacements look like when received. I noted the defects on post-it notes on each lens and requested by letter that replacements be hand picked and reinspected prior to shipping.
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Agreed - if you're gonna order anything from the mint, do it when the item is first released otherwise you're going to get nothing but previously returned garbage.

I remember ordering a "Formation of the Union" set which was kind of like a book about the history of U.S. coinage (with some state quarters). It had already been for sale for a long time. When I got the book, the cover and pages were all thumb-creased (and badly, like an old-paperback book) and the staples holding the whole book together were torn out and had damaged the pages. I couldn't believe they had the nerve to send me that crap after some ASS manhandled it and returned it. So I had to pay the shipping to return it.

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there scanning their purchases for perfect coins and sending the rest back, probably picking through and mixing sets.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
    The mint has gotten better with customer service issues. Mixing and matching amongst sets is another option to those buying sets.
    Last year I made an order from the mint at pre issue pricing with a credit card that expired date wise before the order was to ship, and I forgot to update the expiration date with them. A few months passed and I called about my order. They said they canceled the order when the CC charge would not go through because of the expiration date. I complained that they should have called to inquire about the expiration date as a customer service procedure (every company I've worked for does this as well), and now with a reorder I would not get pre-issue pricing available to those on their mailing list. I wrote a letter to the Dir. of the Mint stating their policy was in error. They honored my pre-issue prices for the items, sent me a follow up letter to my home, sent me two emails of apology to me at work and CALLED me several weeks later to inquire if everything was completed OK....
    Extraordinary, if you ask me.
    Always call them if you have a problem. Sure, it's the Gov'ment, but you may be pleasantly surprised, as I was!image
  • jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    My experience with the mint has been good so far but it's only been a couple of years. I had to wait forever but the product was good. I'm curious to see how the subscpirtions come through this year.
    RCM has beautiful products and they are a bit pricier too!
    Jack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file