Home U.S. Coin Forum

I just bought a Accugrade Slabbed Coin!!! Interesting slab....

OK, It looked neat. I think I'm on this "buy a unique slab kick" thing.
I have no Idea what Early Commemoratives go for and really couldn't care if the grade is close....Well to a degree. I'd probably like to sell it one day. So I hope I didn't spend to much.... At least there was another Ebayer trying to snipe this puppy.
See, I start reading Conder's book and now stuff that I didn't know about peaks my intrest and empties my wallet...
Tom

Comments

• Looks pretty cool to me !! image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Even ACCUGRADE is calling it, "dull and cleaned".

peacockcoins

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Ya, it might be dull and cleaned but is is "Full"

Tom
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trooper: One of those old Accugrade slabs -- enjoy it!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    I did the same last June, with this one Silvertowne was happy to sell to me. "63-commercial" is ACG-speak for a cleaned AU that might be advertised as MS-63 in the mid-1980s

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Hey a twin...

How come your coin is rotated and the picture is notimage

Actually, I think it's a inetresting slab. I'll probably be looking for different one soon.

Tom
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey a twin...

How come your coin is rotated and the picture is notimage

Actually, I think it's a inetresting slab. I'll probably be looking for different one soon.

Tom >>

I'd like to think that ACG rotated the coin in the slab to celebrate Columbus' crossing of the rotating planet, but this is probably giving them too much credit for imagination. Most likely, the photo had to fit in a flat, rectangular insert, and the photographer took more time than the slab assembler.

More recently, ACG has used plastic "nibs" to keep the coins from rotating in their non-photo slabs. This is a practice ACG feels they must point out on their eBay "about me" page to newbies who might think the nibs are rim nicks.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Very nice.......image
    JoeCool
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool slab Trooper. That's the 2nd type of ACG slab from late 1984, early 85. Don't see many of those old photo slabs. PCGS wasn't even in business then, that's how old it is.
    I've got the same one with a vam 1 and no I didn't pay $250, that sticker was on it when I got it. image

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Neat ACG slabs guys!

Cameron Kiefer
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    If those are 2nd generation slabs, what does the first look like?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file