Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thinking about offering a small, very informal grading assistance and coin chit-chat get together at

coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
I've given this idea a bit of thought from time to time and if I do it, will probably end up going insaneimage , but...

I've been thinking about trying to arrange a little, informal get together at a future coin show (or two, if it's not a disasterimage ), whereby a small number of us would participate in a mini-coin-grading and discussion event.

If this is to take place, it will need to be either before or after the show one day, the number of participants can't be too large, we would need a place to meet and people would need to bring their own light sources and their own coins.

Anyone who might be interested in participating is asked to comment and/or PM me. Suggestions are certainly welcomed, as long as you understand that this might be a nightmare, both logistically and practically.

This might or might not end up coming together (please don't hang me if it doesn't) but I thought I would/should at least mention the possibility.

Please note, there will be no Pinnacle coins offered for sale at this potential event. image

Comments

• merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Mark
    That sounds like an excellent plan.Please invite David Hall so he can learn as well.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun. I'll sit quietly. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Do it at the PNNA and I'm in!

Russ, NCNE
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Do people have to bring you an apple?

If I was at the show, I would certainly enjoy participating.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • San Diego Coinarama....26/27 June image
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Last year at the N.H. Coin Expo, there was a group (I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who image) who offered a similar sit down type of grade and discussion with anyone at the show with interest.

I know of one board member who attended, and commented that it was very informative. I sent off an early piece of copper (vg/fine large cent) for discussion purposes, and the coin ended up getting a WIDE range of opinions.

Situations like this can be amazingly helpful in picking up little grading tidbits on many different series, and a boatload of fun in the process.

Make arrangements to come to N.H. this fall, and we'll give you permission to give a grading "chit-chat". imageimage
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Wow thanks. I'll bring my entire collection and you and I can sit down and grade all my coins image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lets do it at the large ana show in august!

everyone bring one coin each

everyone takes a looksee for the first 25 minutes or so

mark feld takes one two three of the coins maybe more?? at his choosing??

mark feld can be the group leader with the coins in his hand and have an informal discussion on the coin

and discuss it 5 to 10? minutes per coin

michael
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image ooops, sorry bout that. Sure I'd be glad to crash the party. I inherited a bunch of "Old" coins I wanted you to look at anyway. I'm sure they would grade high and be worth a lot since they're old. Can I bring my friends too? Don't worry I don't have many friends.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Central States?????? image
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be game...
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do it at the PNNA and I'm in!

Russ, NCNE >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• If its in CA ...I would like to attend.image
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Next time you attend a show in MO (KC or STL) I'm in!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANA would be a logical place, but it might be too busy for you.

If you decide to do it at the Silver Dollar Show (St. Louis), I could arrange the venue.

Robert
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Great idea dude. I'd love to take part.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    mark if you do it

you make the rules...... but just make sure you do it at the ANA in philly or at least at a couple of shows

LOL

if robert ryk can take care of the venue then all the better and might be st louis will be the first informal grading "class"

michael
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopeflly, it will be between the coasts. I'd be there.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please note, there will be no Pinnacle coins offered for sale at this potential event >>

oh, so it's a scam to get folks to bring in coins for you to BUY..... hmmmmm....

K S
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    Sounds like a GREAT idea Mark - how about next month at the TNA?!?!?!? imageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Great idea, Mark. I vote for ANA in Pittsburgh.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    for those of you who didn't catch my drift, i was JOKING that coinguy1 is trying to scam you into selling him your coins cheap.

i think it's a cool idea.

K S
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: I'll see you in Las Vegas next week and perhaps we can hold a warm-up of this kind of get together while there!
    It will be the Pinnacle of my trip image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file