Home U.S. Coin Forum

Publications for coin values...guidance needed

Hi folks,

I would like some guidance on some publications that would help me with coin prices. I have to admit I am in the dark when it comes to buying or selling coins and the going prices for them. So what would be some good publications? Grey sheet, redbook, etc?
Thanks,
Micheál

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most popular pricing guide is the Gray Sheet, but be forewarned that most of the desirable coins sell for more than the prices listed there in transactions between dealers. Therefore you can expect to pay more than "ask" for items like key date coins and Bust Dollars.

From the retail perspective "Coin Prices," which is a magazine that is sent out with "Coin World" is pretty decent. It's more accurate that the old "Trends" sheets, which had a lot of flaws.

The Red Book is only good for noting major varieties, mintages and general informaton when it comes to U.S. coins. The colonial section still has some influence because the prices are published elsewhere on a regular basis.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    The best sources are recent auctions. Go to Heritage and/or Teletrade and look at past auction prices.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    It all depends upon the coins you're interested in pricing and their condition. However, Red Book, Gray Sheet and auction results (including ebay) are a good start.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks very much this helps alot!!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file