Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this Ebay 1798 Bust $ - closes 4/5

au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
Thoughts, please.

Comments

• rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58 -- Where's the coin that you are asking about?? All I can see is a blank post with no coin or coin link image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Do you mean this one?

I'm no expert on these, so I couldn't tell you if it was the real McCoy, but I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money on a coin that isn't authenticated by one of the top three TPG's. Hell, I don't even like to spend $200 on a raw coin.

We ARE watching you.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    If its that one. Its raw on eBay. The seller has a fair amount of negs more than 1 for every 100.
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to JohnZ for the correct link.

<< <i>I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money on a coin that isn't authenticated by one of the top three TPG's. >>

Good advice quoted above from JohnZ...

Do the horizontal & vertical lines in the shield on the reverse appear to be diagonal instead of straight up & down or is it an optical illusion from the photo ??

There's something about the coin's surface texture that just doesn't seem right -- like it's been abrasively cleaned... ?? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Stuart, you are correct about the surfaces. Specifically, the coin has been tooled, probably to remove scratches or graffiti. I would net the coin to F-12, if I am feeling generous. The coin is a common variety: B-6, R.2

Avoid this coin and be highly suspect of any coin this guy sells. Imho, his description is misleading. The only excuse would be if he/she is totally clueless about coins and the description was an honest mistake.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    Check the sellers feedback. The last person that left a neg claims the seller is under investigation by eBay for fraud image
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016

hmmmm intersting. I don't collect these nor do I know anything about them. Looks like the Obverse has been wiped from 11:00 o'clock to 4:00 then wiped again from 2:00 to 7:00. as far as the shield goes the thick bars are vertical and the bars in between those are like tilted 2 degrees to the left. hmmm weird. Have no clue. would say cleaned?

PURPLE
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something odd about the center of the reverse of this coin. I can't put my finger on it, but it does not look right.

Aside from that it has been cleaned, which is shown by the hairlines in the field. Without seeing this in person I can't say if the gray color is original or not. My reaction would be to approach this with caution. Expenseive raw coins on Ebay are always a risk. Why sell a coin like this raw if it does not have any problems?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Take it from someone who just made a slight error in judgement when it came to a 1798 silver dollar on Ebay - buy one in a reputable TPG holder.
    ealandg: What happened ?? image

Stuart

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ORIGINAL & UNCLEANED >>

Why do they always say that when it's obviously not true?

Russ, NCNE
    So you bid alot.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    not tooled, but whizzed to death. au detail, anacs would call it a 40, i'd call it vf-35.

this is a case where a good coin-doctor's services would be useful.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file