Home U.S. Coin Forum

Reminder that this is a hobby......ROI

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
No question, just a quick rambling. After 10 years of upgrading, selling and trading I have taken a careful assessment of what my return is on this hobby. For the coins that I have sold, I have made 4%. Pretty pitiful. Some conclusions:

1) I wouldn't have done it any other way. I love my coins. Real Estate would have been a much better choice if it was about making money.

2) During the first 2 years of collecting, I made some terrible mistakes which brought the return down.

3) The bulk of what own, and haven't sold, I'm expecting a much better return on.

4) Its important to keep good records.

5) Theres no telling what coins will sell for. In some cases, I was expecting to make lot on a coin (and didn't), in other cases I was expecting to lose (and made a lot). As good as I think that I am in the series that I collect (a more arcane series), it comes down to supply and demand at that moment. Hard to predict.

6) This is a personal choice but I would never, ever base my retirement in coins.

Feel free to comment or blast away.

keoj

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I would never, ever base my retirement in coins.

Good idea image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Say it again brother!
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I should make a scatter plot of my ROI of the stuff I've sold. Some items I took a loss on, others I had double-digit increases in value. Go figure! Paper money is WHITE HOT!!

I haven't done an overall return, but I've made some nice money after holding a note for only a few years!
    Tim
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The early gold portion of my personal coin collection has done rather nicely in the last 10 years.

Way better than real estate in many ways.

TPimage
  • numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Keoj,

You forgot about all the fun you had.

Make alittle,enjoy alot.
    NUMO
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a very valuable exercise for me to go to my bank vault and dig out some of my older purchases (20-30 years ago) vs. the quality of coins that I am currently purchasing. After looking through about 100 Morgans that I purchased raw in the 1970's-80's I found about 25 that are potentially valuable gems, 16 of which which I am considering having slabbed at next week's PCGS Invitational.

When you compare the old purchases with the new ones side-by-side, you can really see how your preferences change, and how your more discerning taste evolves so that your purchases tend to focus on certain coin series, or specific coin attributes such as toning, PL/DMPL, etc.

It's interesting how I really was not aware of the specific "look" that I preferred for coins in my collection, until I assembled the coins and noticed that my favorite coins had similar characteristics. This has helped me to focus more on those specific attributes.

I found out that I prefer PL/DMPL CC Morgans and $20 Libs, Blue rim-toned large silver coins (Dollars & Halves), highly lustrous $20 Saints with almost semi-PL luster.

So, one may focus on a specific series of coins, and you can also narrow things down alot more to select just the right coin for you with your favorite specific attributes and characteristics.

The more selective I become, the fewer coins Il buy, and the more pleased I am with those coins that I do decide to purchase. I am also starting to cull out & sell some of those coins which no longer fit in with my collection and my evolving preferences.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Whenever I upgrade items in my collection, I end up just giving away the old pieces in order to encourage other collectors.

An investor I am not! LOL.

We ARE watching you.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it is actually time to sell for CASH, coins consistently disappoint. It is strictly a hobby and expenditures should reflect that fact.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whenever I upgrade items in my collection, I end up just giving away the old pieces in order to encourage other collectors. >>

JohnZ: Based on your above quote, please feel free to give me some encouragement every now & then. image Can I be your friend? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    It has been written by many well known collectors that if you are knowledgeable and continue to educate yourself about your hobby, that a fine collection can be a good investment down the line. True rarities and high quality original coins can net good profits down the road.
    Education is the key to that premise. Always know what you are purchasing and how to grade the coin.
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> This is a personal choice but I would never, ever base my retirement in coins. >>

Yes I agree. Some investments must be sold when the time to sell them is right. If I did not enjoy my collection so much, perhaps I should be selling it in a bull market like this one.

To me my collection is a renewable consumption good. I can enjoy it only if I can see it, and I can't do that if I sell it.

Yet collecting coins is a better investment than buying wide screen TVs and new cars. Despite the pitfalls they hold their value better if you are an informed buyer.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    so you're saying that my collection of Dodge Aspens isn't good for my retirement portfolio.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>The more selective I become, the fewer coins Il buy, and the more pleased I am with those coins that I do decide to purchase. I am also starting to cull out & sell some of those coins which no longer fit in with my collection and my evolving preferences. >>

Stuart - This is some great advice! I have only been collecting for about 5 years now, and I am now at this stage. Up until lately my goal had always been to get as many coins as I could for my money. Lately I have purchased a few higher end coins (for me anyway) - and I cannot wipe the smile off of my face when I check them out.

Keoj - great thread!
    SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    There are only two times when you consider the price of something ---

when you buy it and then when you sell it.

I don't track any of my purchase prices and I don't sell my coins. So the "return" is a very foreign idea to me.

I thought about selling off a portion of my collection to refocus my other priorities, but then I came to the conclusion -- I like all of my coins -- so why should I sell some. I'll just wait to buy some of the others.

Michael

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>so you're saying that my collection of Dodge Aspens isn't good for my retirement portfolio.image >>

You have a collection of Dodge Aspens?

TPimage
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>so you're saying that my collection of Dodge Aspens isn't good for my retirement portfolio.image >>

You have a collection of Dodge Aspens?

TPimage >>

Ah yes! The very rare 1913 dodge Aspen! (Slabbed of course!) Only five ever made I hear. One was also featured on Hawaii-five-o as well! Great pedigree!!

heheheeheh

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file