Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Image of the ms67 Oregon Trail

Can someone post an image of the ms67 OREGON TRAIL that ms68 David S won at auction.
A collector of high grade TONED BUFFALO NICKELS ,working on a PCGS REGISTRY SET.

Comments

• Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    That coin is so amazing it doesn't even look real. Wow!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how it was stored, or if they even know, I am thinking of putting one away for 80 years down the road-----------------------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT that looks AT! what will they think of next? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Baley,

The 1926 Oregon pictured above is absolutely original. I purchased it raw in November 1984 from John Highfill for $1,000 (CDN bid was about $250 at the time). Shortly thereafter I sold it to Eugene Spier for $1,100 and it resided in his 50-piece silver commemorative set. A few years later I arranged for Gene's fabulous toned commem set, along with his superb Peace dollar collection to be sold at public auction in the January 1987 Mid America FUN Show Sale. The 1926 Oregon realized $5,100 in that sale, which was a mind-blowing price at the time. Subsequently the buyer submitted the coin to PCGS and it was returned to him in a MS67 holder, a monumental accomplishment at the time. I was the underbidder (at $57,500) at the Superior sale and can assure you that I am not about to lay down that kind of money for a coin wherein toning is even remotely questionable. This just happens to be a very special coin that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. Without hesitation I can categorically state that this is (in my opinion) the most stunningly beautiful toned coin that I have ever owned.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coingame2000: It never ceases to amaze me how so many collectors sell their prized coins only to regret it and then try to buy it back at 50 times what they originally sold it for!!!!!!!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I had read the coin's history before and also Legend's write-up today (I think this is the same coin) No doubt it's incredible and gorgeous and with a traceable provenance and unquestionably Naturally Toned. So, how was it stored? Ahh, many years undisturbed in the shipping tissue paper.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Since picking up my 1926-S Oregon, I decided to check out archive threads on Oregon commems. Well this post is more than a year old, but I'd say this coin is the epitome of the term, "MONSTER"!!! imageimage

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    I'm telling you, Dizzy, you can make money with your Oregon.image
  • Options
    One of my good friends and I met with David S. in a hotel room in Pittsburgh at the 2004 ANA. We had the good luck to view all of David's monster commems. As a color commem collector for over 15 years, IMHO, David's coins are unmatched in beauty and the Oregon is perhaps the finest color coin I have ever seen. It' s color, again IMHO, is natural..
    commeman
  • Options
    Wow! $1100 to 57,500 Talk about return on an investment!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Simply an "Amazing" Coin! Congrat's to the Proud owner.image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

WOW.

That thing is simply the smoothest looking comme I've seen.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    great coin!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file