Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on my 1831 Half-Dime appreciated

Just got this off EBay.... am a little disapointed, and a little mad at myself, b/c I bought this from an auction that didn't have a return policy. I took a gamble, hoping it was the look I wanted... the Obverse isn't even close, while the reverse has a good look to it, though it shows more steely grey in the scan than it actually is. It's in an ANACS VF-30 holder. First set is the EBay Auction pics... Second Set is my scans...

-George
42/92

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could still ask about a return, if no policy was stated.

That said, I don't think it's terrible, but am I assuming you like the real deep grey on these? That's what I like.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Jeremy: It stated in the auction, No Returns... image Oh, well... and you're right about color... see my Icon pic... though I think the coin, as long as there's no problems I don't see, might grade a VF35... but I might be wrong... just looks like there's not enough wear on the wings to be a VF30... but maybe it's wear on the bust that brings it down... image
    -George
    42/92
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I like it!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    Hey Lucy, you wanna see it in person? image
    -George
    42/92
  • DonovanDonovan Posts: 386
    I don't see what the problem is. It looks like a nice original coin to me. Thye grade seems correct also. The lower curls are a little weakly struck, but not bad and if it wasn't for that, wear-wise it's probably an XF-40.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Ok George. You attribute the variety for us now that you have the Logan-McCloskey book.

Ray
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking half dime. There are a lot of crappy looking ones out there. I'd say that you did OK.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    It's an LM-1... not entirely sure on which marriage/remarriage it was, but I'm leaning towards LM-1.1 b/c there doesn't appear to be any of the die deteriation that is described in the book. The Upper Loops of S1 and S2 are not filled, and the area inside the left Upright and Diagonal of the M is not filled. image Oh, and it's an R-1
    -George
    42/92
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the half dime also, I not sure what you paid, but the coin looks good to me. As mentioned, a little striking weakness on the lower portion of the design, but Graded correctly IMO.
  • The Obv color is just a little off from what I was hoping for... kinda like expecting a wonderful rainbow toned Morgan... and ending up with a dark colored toning... compare the above pictures to my Icon... my Icon is the color I'm looking for...

-George
    42/92
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good to me. If I saw the obverse alone, I probably would not have graded it VF30, but strike's probably an issue with the flatness of the hair details. The eagle on the reverse, on the other hand, looks great and has at least EF detail, from what I can see.

Overall, I like the coin. If you decide you don't like it, I would cheerfully swap you some of the stuff we previously discussed for it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>I like the coin, George. From your pics it looks like a very nice original coin. Here is one that is probably what you are looking for.image >>

I've been watching his auctions, though that one just got listed... btw, he's the one I bought this one from image
    -George
    42/92
  • I like it, too. It has a nice color, IMHO. I've recently devloped an intererest in these guys myself and I have seen tons that have ugly toning. I think it is a nice one. Stop picking on it!
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I like the coin. If it wasn't slabbed I'd have been interested in that coin.
  • Anyone have any idea if Capital Plastics will do a custom holder that will fit the half-dimes? I searched their site, but they have nothing for half-dimes...
    -George
    42/92
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Yes, they will. In fact I saw a date set of them in a custom Capital Plastics holder at the Marion IN show last weekend.
  • George, I like the coin that you won. It looks nice. Regarding the Capital Plastics holder, if you are bent on doing it for display purposes, then go ahead, but I do not like Capital Plastics holders for coin storage. They are okay...........IF.......IF it is properly fitted and assembled. I have seen too many that were done done correctly and have led to damage to the coins within. Worst one that I saw was a custom Capital Plastics holder for a guys set of proof Lib Nickels. Half of the coins rattled inside (not good, not good at all) and the other half of the coins were forced into holes that were too small. When the 3 pieces were screwed together. The hard plastic was pressed firmly against the proof V-Nickels (also not good at all). Made my stomach turn.

Summary: 1) NICE coin (keep it) and 2) re-think the Capital Plastics idea (or make sure it's done correctly)
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Hmmm... I'd go with the Dansco Album... but it's Flowing Hair through Seated Lib... that's A LOT of empty holes... image Anyone have any suggestions?
    -George
    42/92
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    nice coin for the grade, imo.

K S
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks OK for the grade. The fact that it is already slabbed is a plus. Why would you want to return this? Buyers who return coins like this often end up on the blocked bidders list since they are viewed as overly picky, problem bidders.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the coin is perfectly OK for the grade, George.

Comparing to the piece that I sold to you is not really fair. That piece was well struck for the type, and the color was unusually nice. Most early silver coins don't look like that, and many Bust half dimes are weakly struck because of die failures and light strikes. Remember that most of these coins until the end of the series in 1837 or '38 were struck on hand operated presses not steam presses.

You can try to get all of your coins with the same "look," but I'll warn you, it can be a very tedious process. I think it's best to buy nice coins for the grade and leave the "matched sets" to those who are perhaps a bit too obcessed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    in that i don't quite agree. i happen to try to match coins in my sets. for example, i have 3 concurrent sets of washingtons i work on, a gem-unc set, a xf set, & a full-rim vg/f set. in each, i try to match coins for appearance.

of course it's tougher on earlier sets, but even w/ my seated halves, i strive for matched coins, which in my case is f/vf w/ normal silver-grey tone.

K S
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you try to match colors on copper coins, you are only fooling yourself. Those who collect Indian and Lincon cents know that each period and in some cases each year have their own color characteristics. If you see a matched set of Indian or Lincoln cents with respect to color you are looking at an AT set.

With silver coinage it's a bit easier to match the colors. Still AU and Mint State Mercury dimes and Walkers that were minted in the 'teens will look different from coins in the '30s and '40s.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    copper, that's true. of course, i don't really collect "sets" of copper coins, too difficult! except i do have a set of lincolns.

otoh, i still do try & match up my copper type sets. for example, a chocolate brown half-cent looks ridiculous next to a blazing red randall coin in a type set.

K S
  • I heard that all of the coins DorkKarl's collection match in color. I also noticed that he is always bidding on spray paint on eBay. Coincidence?
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭
    I bought this from an auction that didn't have a return policy.

I think the above is a little mistated or will lead to miscommunication. The auction DOES have a return policy: What you see is what you will get. All sales final-no returns.

It is a nice looking coin.

Joe.
  • aem4162aem4162 Posts: 421
    i think it's beautiful image
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file