Home U.S. Coin Forum

Net grade my Bust half

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have a look at this Bust half I have in an ANACS holder. Judging by the toning, or lack thereof, I would've thought it was lightly cleaned. ANACS didn't think that it should be net graded, though. It came out of a Superior Galleries auction.

1827 ANACS AU-55

What would you net grade it?

Comments

• DonovanDonovan Posts: 386
    That's a tough one. It has AU details but, unless the picture is deceiving, it appears to have a lack of luster. Due to that, I'd grade it XF-45.
  • NET 40. Must have been submitted by an important dealer.

I am proud of you for noting that it has been cleaned. You are one of the very few people on eBay with enough morals to disclose the cleaning (even though it's obvious from your nice images). Bravo!

We recently sold an ANACS coin on eBay that was also cleaned, but not net graded, just like your Bust Half. It's an AU-50 Barber Dime that looks like it was whizzed. Total POS. Here's a link to that auction: ANACS slab we sold on eBay
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cleaned or not cleaned, I am not going to let it go for less than its worth. I put in a decent bid, if someone doesnt buy it for at least that,Ill buy it and re-sell it.

jim d
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys,

Last fall I won about 15 Bust halves from Superior, and they were sight-unseen group lots. All were holdered by ANACS. I would say that 14 of the 15 were overgraded, and some were so offensive I had to practically apologize for them when I sold them on ebay. The only thing that saved me was that almost all of the coins were R4 or R5 Overton varieties, which was not advertised in the auction!! The Overton varieties were listed in the auction description, but no rarity ratings were given. The one that's at issue here was an R3 and was a separate lot, I believe, and it's near the condition census for the variety, but certainly not in it. I'd give it an EF-45 overall, given that it is sharply struck and the cleaning isn't severe. It's actually one of the nicer pieces I got from Superior, but I have so many 1827's right now, I have to thin out their numbers. I don't really collect by Overton variety.

jim d, thanks for bidding- I'll have to "discuss" all my ebay auctions on this forum in the future... like the 1811 half that's going too cheap on there right now (hint hint)...

JadeRareCoin- it's good to see someone else doesn't lie, cheat, and steal in their ebay auctions. I love your description of the 1899-p Barber dime-hilarious. Perhaps if you researched its pedigree, you would find "Chuckie" in the list of previous owners. I dug an 1899-p dime with my metal detector a couple years ago that was in better shape- maybe I should send it to ANACS with a picture of yours in the ANACS slab attached.
    I have had to do the same thing before. One particular coin that comes to mind was an 1872 Two center. I bought the coin as a Vg-10 at best. Nice coin, chocalate brown no problems but only a VG. Sent it to PCGS, came back a vf-20. I was blown away, I bought the coin intending to re-sale, so I placed it on e-bay but listed it as PCGs Vf-20 but market graded, and should reside in a Vg-10 holder. It still ended up selling for f-15 money, and the buyer was pleased, so I was happy, and felt that I accuratley described it properly.

jim

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>jim d, thanks for bidding- I'll have to "discuss" all my ebay auctions on this forum in the future... like the 1811 half that's going too cheap on there right now (hint hint)... >>

Yes please do.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    Hopefully,

It looks like were starting to get some intrest and get the coin where it needs to be before the auction ends.

jim

Thanks for your interest in my halves. I will surely continue my shameless advertising in the future.

Did anyone else notice that ebay slows down around tax time? Do people quit bidding on coins when they realize that Uncle Sam will be taking all their money in two weeks?

• I just placed a bid on the 1811. That actually looks like a decent coin. Hope I win it, but hopefully for you, I will get sniped at the last minute! image
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    What do you think about the "EF detail" thing on the 1811? It looks like VF-25 detail to me, but I'd probably net it to VF-20 like ANACS did because I just like the coin. Inceidentally, there were three 1811 O.112 half dollars in one lot that I won. That's right- three pieces of an R4 die marriage in the same lot. Like I need three examples. I kept one that ANACS slabbed EF-40 (O.112a, R5, couple extra die cracks) that is actually a VF-30. Sold an ANACS VF-20 (should've been F-15) and the one that's on there now.
    Oops, here's the link

Link
    Thanks for everyone's opinions (and bids) on this coin. It ended up realizing a fair price. I really don't think that being honest about the light cleaning cost me anything in the end.
    No,
    I believe it turned out good in the end. Price was a little lower than had it been in PCGS or NGC, but still decent considering the coin and your comments in the listing.

jim
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    xf-45. that's an awful coin at that grade, a decent coin at xf-45

K S
    I agree about the XF-45, and in retrospect, I should've said that in the listing. I can see someone calling it AU-50 legitimately because the strike is sharp and the coin has really nice eye appeal in person. However, I am a hard grader and usually assign the lowest possible grade to everything. Most NGC and PCGS AU-50 Bust Halves usually look EF-40 to EF-45 to me, except the ones in very old holders. It seems like anything goes as an AU these days. If the detail is weak, just blame it on the strike.

You should have seen some of the other Bust halves I had in ANACS slabs- this one was above average for the grade by those standards! I like ANACS in general, but whoever is grading Bust Halves there might want to tighten up their standards a bit.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Dennis "JadeRareCoin" that it's a net grade of XF-40. The coin's got XF/AU detail, but due to harsh abrasive cleaning it would probably net grade down to XF-40.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should have been net graded for cleaning. I'd say net XF45.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has been cleaned fairly hashly, and someone has added some fakey color between the stars in an effort to make it look better. I'd net grade it to EF-40 (AU sharpness, cleaned). This coin would get a BB if it was sent to PCGS or NGC.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file