Home U.S. Coin Forum

I broke the sample slab record price again!!!!

Just this last weekend the $200 barrier was broken

Now, I want to share with my coin and slab friends the record has been broken again. Within an hour of being listed it was bought now and is one of the hardest samples ever:

The $250 slab

Cameron Kiefer

Comments

• groovy
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Geez, now photos of coins are bringing $250. I have a hard drive full of them; maybe I'll start listing a few.

Russ, NCNE
  • Let everyone else make fun of this, Cameron. Not really my thing, but you certainly know what you're dong. Congratulations.
    David
  • DollarsDollars Posts: 617
    Nice job Cammy.

I know very little about the sample slab market but you seem to have a good handle on it.

Wish you well brother

Dave
    Dave
    In Laurel
    MD

Just a fist full of Dollars
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    This is the slab with the PICTURE of a coin in it?

Geez...

Well, more power to ya!

<< <i>but you seem to have a good handle on it. >>

That's an understatement. The boy is the driving force behind the market. The master of all he surveys. The visionary at the top of the mountain, guiding the direction from his lofty perch.. The Grand Negus of sampleslabdom.

Russ, NCNE
  • DonovanDonovan Posts: 386
    Buy the paper, not the plastic.
  • Not to mention, he is the Sheriff and makes the rules! image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    The most expensive almost coin almost slab ever.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Wouldnt it be funny if the buyer asked for a refund because he didnt read the description and thought that he was buying a coin?
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Cameron, Good job on selling a photo of a coin for $250!

My next question is what sort of fruitcake would spend that kind of money for a friggin picture? This is the most insane thing I think I have ever seen. Sample slabs are cool, but only about $5 cool, not $250 cool!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow, that is a huge price for a sample slab. It doesn't even come with a coin. That is a crazy price for a piece of plastic!

I have 2 sample slabs but I got them for free from NGC. One is the 2003 FUN lunch state quarter set. I'm sure it would sell for a bit. I'm keeping it though because it has nice examples of the state quarters. I didn't buy a mint set so this will do.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron: I know that you listed this sample slab as a B&M "Hallmark" slab -- however it sure resembles a PCI Green Label slab. Did the Hallmark slabs evolve into the PCI slabs ??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • what reason would anybody buy a sample slab. anymore than $5 is high!!
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron - What would you pay for another 19 of those?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    ARRGGHHH!!! And I missed it!!!! Cameron, if I find you listed that and didn't warn me about it first, I am going to be VERY irritated.

Andy, do you have any of them? I'd be interested in one.

Stewart, That IS a HALLMARK slab. When HALLMARK closed down in 1991 all of their supplies and equipment was purchased by a dealer and then sold to PCI. PCI then switched to the HALLMARK style slabs adding the red and blue bordered holders as well.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    This is weird. Even so I take off my hat to Cam for being able to sell this for so much.

But still, I cannot believe that people are into this.
  • Congratulations, Cameron.

I had no idea the sample slab market was so hot. I had never really believed that the market for coin paraphernalia as collectibles was anything more than a hyped-up side-line. I now see I was wrong.

It's time for me to look at my old Whitman albums.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Hell of a sale Cameron. Well done.

I wish I could find bidders like that.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>It's time for me to look at my old Whitman albums. >>

If David Lange ever writes his book on the old coin boards/holders then you just might see them start rising in value as well. Nothing increases the interest in a collectible as much as a book on the subject.
  • You're certainly right about that, Conder. I fully believe the interest in the Stella is for no other reason than its inclusion in the Red Book. There are lots of rarer patterns from the same period selling much cheaper.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.

• << <i>The Grand Negus of sampleslabdom. >>

Does that mean he has a Staff with a Sample Slab on top? And whenever we approach we have to kiss the Sample Slab? image
    -George
    42/92
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Conder101: Thanks for the explanation of why the "Hallmark" slab looks so similar to the PCI slabs. I knew that Cameron had it right, and saw the slab label, but was just wondering why the great similarity -- which you answered.

By the way, for reference. I'm Stuart not to be confused with Stewart -- I'm sure that it can be confusing for those non-Stuart's and non-Stewart's on the forum... image

Thanks again for the info.!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Sounds like these slab collectors REALLY buy into the "greater fool" theory! ;-)
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's coming, mark my words:

someday there will be "slabs" with photos of the great rarities inside, and people will be able to own "slabs" with real-looking pictures of 1804 dollars, 1913 Lib nickels, 1822 half eagles, 1894-s dimes, Brasher doubloons, the "first 1794 dollar struck" and all the rest of the great coins.

and collectors of actual coins will think such things are silly.

edit: congrats on the sale, though, and on a great looking website.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is true; no one including Cameron can say for sure that sample collecting is a fad or is going to be around forever.

Now, in my opinion, I think it will be around longer than we think.

I was the bidder that won the MS-63 NGC sample 1887 silver dollar for $180 plus. Of course, I am going to Ohio and clop rottnrog on the head for daring to bid against me when I vist my alma mater. image

Error collectors like rottnrog should stay where they belong and stick with error slabs.

Let us sample collectors pick up all the samples before we get any more samplers to contend with!!!

Now, sample collecting is indeed a wierd form of collecting. It is certainly not about collecting coins. It is however a form of relaxation and therapy for the non-criminally insane. We all know who we are. We can all be proud of our propensity to share our insanity with others. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭
    Now, sample collecting is indeed a wierd form of collecting. It is certainly not about collecting coins. It is however a form of relaxation and therapy for the non-criminally insane. We all know who we are. We can all be proud of our propensity to share our insanity with others.

Amen, my fellow sampleslab collecting fool. Well said.

Mark
    WingsRule: You left out our symbol of insanity. image

Don't let that happen again. We have our reputation to uphold. image
    Andy: If you have 18 of those Hallmark slabs with the paper inserts, I have enough collectors that will pay you for all 18 at $250 EACH!image

Ready to send them?
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Error collectors like rottnrog should stay where they belong and stick with error slabs.

image >>

• Great sell Cameron.image

Now that it's over don't you wish you would've had a BIN of $275 ?
  • AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Well, hat's off to you, Cam!!! image I think you may have created a new market. I guess we ought to be expecting a Registry Set for these someday. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have collected some strange things, but there is no friggan' way I'm paying $250 for a slab of plastic with a picture of a coin in it!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Description states that the slab indicates it's a picture inside - I don't see it. Do you??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
    Tim,

It's clearer in the larger image:

Russ, NCNE
  • If the buyer returns it because he thought he got a rip and finds out it is a paper coin, I will let you know, but I don't think this will be the case.

Cameron Kiefer
    Certainly qualifies for R-8 status unless Mr. Eureka comes up with his other 19 that I offered $250 each for.
    In the event Mr. Eureka follows through on his wild claim then this item falls to R-6 status.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file