Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Iron design Trials

I just sent this quick scan off to Kienast because we are trying to discern whether these pieces came from Guido's holdings and subsequent Gorny auction in 1994.

Anyway, this is just a down and dirty scan of these trial design pieces...part of the process of "proofing" a design before actually creating the final medal. All of these are uniface and you can see the slag overpor around the perimeter of each piece. In the larger of the three you can see scribe marks around the bust of Tirpitz showing where the finalized rim perimeter was finally established. There are design elements that were changed too, for instance, the final medal does not have him wearing the the large decoration medal.

Pretty neat stuff...and certainly unique. I will eventually image these with the final medals they were trials of so you can make the comparison. I also have five or so more that were done in either nickel or low grade silver that I'll eventually show you. S

Comments

• Options
    Very Cool.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Scott - This is just too cool for words!!! What an experience you are having.
    Shep
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Definitely too cool for words. image
  • Options
    Nice coin! image
  • Options
    Trials are kind of fun. I've never seen them in iron (? or is it white metal) before though, very interesting. I'll be very interested to see them side by side the finished pieces. Man I'd love to have a box full of goodies like you've got! image

During Napoleon's time they used to trial strike by pouring out a thin sheet of molten tin and when it cooled they would hit it with the dies (which were often not hardened yet). After the dies were nearly complete they used to strike unifaces off of white metal planchets. The tin would get melted back down and those trials are very rare. I don't have any of those yet, just the white metal impressions.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    These trial pieces, struck in repouseé style, are indeed quite rare.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    How are you using the term "repousse"? I have always understood the term to mean "ornamentation of metal in relief by pressing or hammering on the reverse side". In these trials, none are created this way OR struck...in essence, they are cast unifaces.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Who would think old bald guys with beards could look so darn cool?

Amazing.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>How are you using the term "repousse"? I have always understood the term to mean "ornamentation of metal in relief by pressing or hammering on the reverse side". In these trials, none are created this way OR struck...in essence, they are cast unifaces. >>

Sloppy wording, in my case. I meant to say "cast in a repouseé style." No, they are not repouseés, but they do look like that style. Repouseés tend to have a sort of "hard plastic" feel to them and are often intended for ornamentation.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    These are just awesome!!!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Lovely and I like their piercing eyes. Like ghost from the past looking at you. Plus the long wavy facial hair
  • Options
    TTT, nice pieces. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders