Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have a pocket piece? If so, what is it?

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
I carry a SAE and an IKE...

Many people want to see them, I'm just trying to make more collectors image

Ray

Comments

• Options
    When I can afford it I will get a St. Gaudens.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I've got a circ ( very circulated and damaged) early half eagle.

How circ and how damaged? It's only worth about 1500.

But cool as heck to play heads and tails with or just fumble with.....

Rgrds
    TP image
  • Options
    I carry a 1986 Statue of Liberty Proof Half dollar as my pocket piece..by now it doesn't look proof at all but still is in AU 58+ condition..
  • Options
    rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    I did have a 1971-S Blue Ike until I showed it to my 3 year old daughter. It is now hers! image
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    1902-O Morgan

I found it in my Grandfather's dresser drawer after his passing. It is the coin that got me started in collecting. Geez, the things I could have bought over the years if I had never found it.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    An Accented Hair Kennedy. (Surprise, surprise. )

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭
    I got a whole Registry set of Pocket Pieces ( and that's also the name of my set). Check it out (pictures to be added shortly):

Pocket Piece Registry Set

I can't reveal which coins are in my pocket ........they may someday make it into a PCGS slab when they get worn enough!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    I carry two these days. One is a Morgan 1891-O (for a number of years now) and the other (newer- within last 6 mo's) is a 1934-S Peace Dollar, but, before you get all nuts -- it is the ugliest, most dinged up, worn wierdly, 34-S you'd ever want to see. I just took a liking to it when it asked to come home with me. (It also asked whether there are any more at home like it, which there are, but in much better shape and I didn't want to hurt its feelings).

Either one in MS-65, which, I guess they must have started out as, at least on the fall from the minting machine into the bucket, would be big bucks. But, now, they just ride with my keys, my little tiny flashlight, and a bunch of clad, no personality coins in my right pocket. It does get a pretty big rise out of the TSA guys at the airports I frequent tho. Most of them are either too young to have ever seen one or else they think that these worn-out specimens must be rare and valuable. At least they haven't confiscated it like they did my pocket Leatherman at LAX! (It also helps me find the numismatists in line, so there is somebody to talk to on the plane).
    DSW
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Pocket piece= Firearm in the 1800's. I have my Great Grandmother's pocket piece to this day but it's a .22 cal., 5 shot "bluejacket" revolver made on May 27, 79. That's 1879.....my prize possession. That's my pocket piece.

M.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    1879 $10 Lib
  • Options
    1903-S
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    '98-S

• Options
    1921-D Morgan Die Crack (TE)
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruger .357 Magnum image Oh, did you mean a coin? Nope I don't usually carry them around in my pocket...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I have a 1874 Trade Dollar with a hole.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ruger .357 Magnum image Oh, did you mean a coin? Nope I don't usually carry them around in my pocket... >>

Hahahahahahaha good one Stuart!

LOL!

Rgrds
    TP
  • Options
    2002 SAE.....image
    JoeCool
  • Options
    ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    Here's mine...
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    image 4 month of wear.
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    I have a silver medal and watch given to my grandfather by the Czar of Russia to fight in the Russian-Japanese War. He accepted the medal but on reflection decided to catch the next boat for America.
    Trime
  • Options
    I carry two:
    1923-D Peace
    1921 Morgan
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "I have my Great Grandmother's pocket piece to this day but it's a .22 cal., 5 shot "bluejacket" revolver made on May 27, 79. That's 1879.....my prize possession. That's my pocket piece."

Hey "M" what do you think of This

It's a side-side double barrel black powder handgun manufactured around 1836 and possibly taken west during the 1849 California gold rush.

Jim
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry 3 pieces........... a D mint Bicentenial Ike, a '23 Peace $, and an 1889 Morgan $
    imageimage

• Options
    I carry an 1879-S Morgan that my grandfather and father both carried at some point in their lives. My dad gave it to me when I was 16, and I carried it for about a year until it got tucked away in a drawer. My recent interest in coins induced me to search the house when I was visiting my parents last fall... and after 2 long hours I found the darn thing!

I've carried it every day since.
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    1933 Dbl Eagle & almost a 1/2 roll of 1894s barb dimesimage I'd post a scan but uhm, er there so worn from uh the Boston Marothon that I compete in, that the date's have worn away, ya that's it, worn away COMPLETLY, but they were 94s's and the big shiny one was a 1933, really you can even ask Joe the metal detector Gaurd at the Civic Center, ya the Civic Center....IN BEVERLY HILLS, ya know Beverly Hills, swimin pools, movie stars

Eastside

Promote the Hobby

P.S. My real pocket pieces have such a high turnover rate, but have included Coin & Currency of most denominations
    Promote The Hobby and Make it a Positive Experience for all, Remember That this Hobby Can Be Fun & Profitable & Profit is Always FUN
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Wisconsin commem. My wife got a 2000-P Sag $ in change that looked like it had been carried for awile so I carry it too.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a 21 Merc as my ball marker when I'm out on the course.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    I once played a round with a guy who used a beat up Indian Head $2.50 gold piece for a ball marker. My friend asked him is he ever worried someone would swipe it.

His response: "Nope, but I'm worried about someone running off with my $4,000 clubs."
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options

1921 morgan
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom DeLorey has the most kewl pocket piece of all time, an 1850-O dollar with some graffitti on it worn down to about Fr2 by now. He has been carrying it for 20 or 30 years.
  • Options
    I have a Kangaroo scrotum that contains all my modern change. Does this count as a Pocket Piece?
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Do you carry $1 Sacs in that "sack"?
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Options
    Believe it or not... This scrotum will hold about 20 of the Sad Sacs!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Resuscitated -- I've been carrying a 2001 SAE for nearly three years now.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Right now I have a 1950 Washie I received in change.

I am looking for a reasonably priced 1955(my birthyear) Frankie to replace it.

Rookie Joe
  • Options
    1878 7TF. Been through the washer and dryer a time or two.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I carry a Sac and a Jack. Oddly enough, the Sac looks decent. It toned the typical turd brown some time ago, but the Jack wears the raised parts so that they stay brassy. All-in-all, not a bad looking coin.
  • Options
    i carry a .1250 dia x 1" dowel pin, a .4995/,4990 dia steel ball, and a grounding clip in my change purse
    anita...ana #r-217183...coin collecting noob
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    1880S Morgan, Au-cleaned.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I don't have a pocket piece, but I've had a pre-holed 183x large cent on my key chain for well over a decade now. It's gone from VF to AG and the hole's gone from 1/8" to 1/4". I figure I've got about four more years before the edge of the hole meets the edge of the coin.
    My coins can beat up your coins.
  • Options
    Hmm, thought I had posted in here. Either i'm blind or...or...hmmm...can't remember. Oh well.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    One of the first coins in my collection was the VF 1927-S Peace Dollar my parents kept in the glove compartment of their 1950 Hudson in case they ever ran out of gas. That coin was in Dad's sock drawer through the 1960s and early '70s and has been in my Peace Dollar album ever since.

I try to rotate pocket pieces frequently. I always ask for Ike, SBA, or Sac dollars when I go to the bank, but these never stay in my pocket for more than a pay period, since homeless people are so pleasantly freaked out to receive one in circulation. (I have also been known to spend an SBA or two as a tip for an incompetent waiter/waitress.)

The longer term tenants of my pocket are dateless Buffalo nickels and AG Barber Dimes. I can no longer leave these on my desk, since my 20-month-old grandson has learned how to toss them inside my laser printer's duplexer. They are safe in my pocket until I meet a deserving cashier for a purchase of $x.05 or $x.10. Spending these pocket pieces usually results in better service the next time I see that person.

The only pocket piece which has been a constant for me for the last 5 years is my 10X Anco triplet loupe.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a Kangaroo scrotum that contains all my modern change. >>

Sorry to hear that. Did you check to see if surgery could help?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    2002 SAEimage
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    1875 quarter. It started out life in my pocket 35 years ago as VF. It's now AG/G.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    1921 Morgan
    1923 Peace

Both heavy Circ
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    I carry a 21 Morgan, a 23 Peace, and a 76 Ike in my pocket. I also have a 3-holed 1854 Seated half that was a gift from LordM on my key ring.
    imageimage

• Options
    I have a 1924 holed Peace dollar on my keychain. I have a 1921 Morgan that is my good luck charm at the poker table.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    A beatifully toned 2000 Sac. Have had it for about two months, now a AU55 coin...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file