Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this common?

Somebody gave me a couple of fairly modern Lincoln centsin PCGS as freebies with a coin I bought recently. One was a 1985-D MS66 RD, the other a 2000-D MS67RD. They look like total cr*p. Is this common?

Comments

• I would think the MS67RD would look pretty good ?
    Got any pics ?

• << <i>They look like total cr*p. Is this common? >>

No it is not common but maybe that is why they were freebies.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Not right this second (at work on lunch break), but it looks like there are maybe slide marks on the obverse and what looks suspiciously like a partial fingerprint on the reverse. If this is MS67, I'm hunting through my pocket change!!! I'll try to post pictures.

I normally collect early circulated stuff. It could just be that I have unrealistic expectations of what a MS67 should look like...

Here is a 68RD. The 68's look much better than a 67 but even in 66 there should be mo major marks an NO fingerprints. Don't complain. You got them free.

Cameron Kiefer
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    to answer your original question, yes i'd say that's common

K S
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both these dates appear virtually flawless with tremendous luster. They are both
    also seen sometimes in PL though the '85-D is not common in the higher grades or
    in PL.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I'm not complaining at all. I'm just trying to understand because to me these don't look like what my conception of uncirculated is. I'm trying to understand if my expectations are unrealistic, or if these coins are "turning".

The one that Cameron is showing is FAR (more than a point or two) nicer than these guys.

Just trying to get more edumacated...
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Hmm... maybe you should send them to PCGS... try and get some money from a downgrade image
    -George
    42/92
  • I'll probably just add them to the hoard and glare at them from time to time...image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file