Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cool 1836 Bust Half With Date Counterstamps

Here's a really neat coin that I recently acquired. It's an 1836 lettered edge bust half with 3 obverse counterstamps: 1840, 1841 & 1846.

Admittedly, I know very little about counterstamps, although I enjoy them a great deal. Here's my theory regarding the 3 counterstamps on this coin: A father received this 1836 Bust Half upon the birth of his first child. He had 3 more children; one each in 1840, 1841 and 1846. He perhaps worked in a factory where he had access to numerical punches, which he used to stamp the year of birth for his 3 subsequent children. Now if I were really good, I could tell you the name of each child by examining the punch details with a microscope. image

What's your theory?

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Comments

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    my theory is, he probably wore out a couple of typewriters to make that happen!

K S
  • my theory is, he probably wore out a couple of typewriters to make that happen!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Good theory Dennis image
    -George
    42/92
  • ......or, maybe each member of a secret organization had a Bust Half and they would stamp the date on their coin each time they attended the annual secret meeting? Maybe this belong to one of the founding fathers of the Bust Half Nut Club?

Maybe it belonged to a Mass murderer keeping count of how many people he had killed? image Or maybe it's just someone keeping track of how many Bust Halves they had in a jar, using that one as a count keeper, until replacing it with another... image
    -George
    42/92
  • Or possibly whoever owned it worked at some factory where they had to stamp metal with varying dates and whoever used this one as a test..
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only three years he had S-- with his wifeimage
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    His kids initials are on these Flying Eagles....His Kids
    Cant be,the last initial are differentimage
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Dennis

did you notice that the "8" in the date 1846 is upside down??

al h.image

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Cant be,the last initial are different

The coins(FE's) were owned by a woman who had a couple of husbands?
    At that time they had mistressesimage
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Dang, you're good. Can you decipher the meanings on Airplanenut's PO1 coin?

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • did you notice that the "8" in the date 1846 is upside down??

Keets, you are the first forum member to correctly indicate that the "8" is indeed upside down. I guess that everyone else is sleeping tonight. This upside down 8 error is yet further evidence in support of my theory regarding the purpose of the counterstamps.

Can you decipher the meanings on Airplanenut's PO1 coin?

Just a guess, but I would say that Jeremy got a "C-" on one his final exams just before submitting his bust dime to ANACS.

• VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Neat.

• << <i>Just a guess, but I would say that Jeremy got a "C-" on one his final exams just before submitting his bust dime to ANACS >>

Actually we talked about making a coin like this with a special ANACS slab label full of bad descriptions. he made this coin to sell to me but when it came back from ANACS with the specil label he wouldn't sell itimageimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Cameron or Jeremy - What does the label say?

holed, grafitti, AT, cleaned, scratched, butt ugly? image
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
    holed-scratched-cleaned-graffiti-tooled... I think
    -George
    42/92
  • holed-scratched-cleaned-graffiti-tooled... I think

Sounds like one of MadMarty's submission results...........

do those dates happen to coincide w/ the earliest known sightings of crop circles?

K S
  • All of your ideas were hysterically funny I love the "how many times he had sex with his wife" one!! image Does anybody actually know for sure what counterstamps are and where the come from or are all these coins the mystery of the century? Just wondering if there are any real facts about these type of coins?
    great info always wanted and appreciated
    thanks all
    snapmohr
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hey Dennis

did you notice that the "8" in the date 1846 is upside down??

al h.image >>

I noticed that as well. One time on a trip we came to a stop sign with a little "3-way" sign underneath it. I mentioned to my wife that the "3" was upside down on the sign. She said, "Only you would notice something that strange." So I have learned to stifle myself on such issues.

The upside is, I can tell her that I'm not the only one who would notice - keets would too! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

actually, i don't think the 8 is upside down. i think all the other digits are.

K S
  • dorkkarl, I think that you are upside down! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file