Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wanna Hear My Latest Idea for Slabs??

Ok, picture this........

A built in magnifier on the slab!!! It could be like a small plastic sliding magnifier built into the front of the slab that would normally sit over the tag (which would also make it easier to read) and then could be slid downwards over the coin to magnify the coin itself! It could be like either a 3X or 5X magnifier and it could easily be incorporated in the slab on small plastic channels.

So what do you think???

HRH?????

dragon

Comments

• It would...

1. Increase expense / cost to manufacture the slab
    2. Increase slab width
    3. Require 2 magnifiers: obverse and reverse
    4. Distort the image since a magifier the size of the slab could not evenly magnify the whole coin.
    5. Really serve no purpose since it is not difficult to use your own magnifier
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Thanks theop.......

1) Extra expense would be very minimal

2) Wouldn't increase slab width at all

3) Wouldn't necessarily require one for the reverse

4) Wouldn't distort at all if done right

6) Most people don't like carrying a bulky magnifier to shows

any other words of wisdom theop?? I'll bet Thomas Edison sure was glad you wern't around.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Hey, What happened to point #5.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Really, really great IDEA!!!!!!!!!
    This will really make my invention of a tiny light fastened to slabs sell better.
    It is April 1st, isn't it?

Ray
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife told me I could only buy one of those multi-coin holders, so here's what I found:
    Ebay #3905769933. image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • It's not a terrible idea. However, it's not as good as my already patented invention: A cup holder built into each slab. That way you can enjoy your slab, while having a convenient place to put your refreshment. My idea was inspired by the already invented slab with a built in ash tray.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I like it Dragon, but why not create just the plastic magnifying piece that will slide onto a PCGS or NGC or ANACS slab or whatever. Sell the magnifiers individually?

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
    If it's a separate piece, it could easily have a magnifier on both sides for obv and rev.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at a lot of slabs that go through "numismatic circulation" in dealers' boxes, especially show circuit dealers' boxes, you will see that a lot slabs get banged up and scratched up very badly. NCG oddly enough seem to be the worst for getting REALLY scratched up so that you can hardly see the coin, but PCGS is not far behind. There have been a couple of instances where I passed on the coin because the holder was badly scratched. My thought was that marketing the coin in THAT holder would be impossible and that I would have to spend more money on shipping and re-slabbing fees to make the coin vaiable.

Another contraption on the slab will only make matters worse in this regard. And please don't argue with me that you will invent magnifiers that won't break or scratch. When the basic slab can be made useless and unsightly by only have been slid in, out and all around the boxes the magnafier has even less of a chance.

Second most dealers and advanced collectors have a glass that they know and trust. They don't like using other glasses. Heck, one dealers runs around the bourse tables with his own light that has to be plugged in. Quite often the favorite glass is a Bash and Lamb model that can run up to $40 and more.

No, I don't want a magnifier attached to the slab.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    How about a clip on the back so they can hang on your belt?

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a vision of a port into which Jewel Luster can be sprayed to keep nasty toning and fingersprints off of my shiny coins. image
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Well, we have all heard about colored contact lenses that people can use to change their eye color. How about different shades of plastic so that you can have that toned Morgan that you have always wanted, but could not afford to buy (thanks to jbstevens). You could even order target toning or solid toning.

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I guess nobody noticed today's date?

Russ, NCNE

• I guess nobody noticed today's date?

You are just jealous because nobody has mentioned The Slab Caddy yet! image

• SarasotaFrankSarasotaFrank Posts: 1,625 ✭✭
    can you put a screaming fishwife in a slab caddy?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
    I wish someone would invent a soft portable pouch just big enough for 2 slabs that I could carry on my belt loop - that would be great.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    here's a better idea, a built-in loudspeaker. david hall could call it the "speak-n-slab". pcgs would make $billions !

K S
  • I've been thinking that the label inside the slab ought to be a slide-in affair. That
    way, we can all remove the labels temporarily in order to type on our own pedigree
    without having to bother PCGS with unnecessary details...

Along that same line of thinking, they should make the coin removable, so that when
    we want to send it in for regrade, there will be little chance of cutting ourselves on
    nasty shards of plastic...
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    How about a slab where the coin section can rotate. Like you can push against the top of the coin and it will rotate back so you can read the edge and even keep rotating so that the other side of the coin is in the front. Like one of those circular airtights within a slab with some mechanism to keep the circular holder from being taken out of the slab body.
  • nwcs,

That's a GREAT idea! As I understand it, the coin would be suspended inside a clear ball
    that you could spin to see both the obverse and reverse of the coin! Fantastic!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    you know what else? i think there should be "scratch-n-sniff" slabs, too

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file