Home U.S. Coin Forum

A token with a coin show AND a 19th century political connection

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are a couple of tokens that were made almost 80 years apart. The gold colored token, which is gilted, was issued during Abraham Lincoln's 1864 presidential campaign. This piece was undoubtedly made for collectors during the period because it shows evidence of a special effort to get a very sharp strike.

The CWT is listed as 129/349k. It's listed as an R-9 (2 to 4 known). The token is rare, but not THAT rare.

The white colored token was issued in 1939 during the Central States numismatic conference. The obverse was made from the same die that was used to make the political piece in 1864. The reverse reads, "Central States Numismatic Conference / The die on the obverse side was used in 1864 for making political tokens / April 22-23, 1939."

There are a few other Civil War token dies that still exist. This one might be only one that was used for a modern piece that was issued in connection with a numismatic convention. The original Lincoln token is worth several hundred dollars. The convention item is worth around $35.

imageimage
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, Bill. Thanks for the post and the story.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file