Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would the real "Key Date" 1950 Jefferson please stand up??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I always enjoy eBay listings that can't seem to ignore the hype. If you collect Jefferson Nickels you should be familiar with the oft-shouted Key Date phrase with regard to the 1950-D. Heck, even if you're a casual collector of anything Numismatic you'd have to be blind/deaf/dumb to have not assumed that the 1950-D was important and difficult. I beg you now, please forget all that and turn your attention to the real 1950 Jefferson that you should focus on, the lowly P mint example for that year.

What is strange about these two coins is that while the 1950-D is trumpeted as a low mintage issue, it's eastern cousin is also a low mintage issue, around 9.3 million which makes it about #6 or so on the mintage chart. The paradox is that while everyone focused on the "D" the "P" saw heavier circulation and is far scarcer in gem condition. that fact wasn't helped along with being a weaker struck coin as most San Francisco and Philly coins were throughout the 40's. The result is a 1950-D selling at around $75 in MS66FS while the ignored 1950 in MS66FS will always sell for many multiples of that. Geez, a forum member recently sold an MS65FS example at the BST forum for $175. This linked coin should end around $1300.

That isn't just a holdered coin observation, either. At just about every coin show I attend, I'll see an example of a BU 1950-D Jefferson, usually several. To find a Gem state 1950-P is quite difficult which tells me that the attrition rate was quite high for the Philidelphia coin while the Denver coin was being hoarded!!!!!!

Talk about a Tale of Two Cities!! Dickens would have written a different story from a Numismatic perspective. It was him who wrote that, wasn't it, or have i placed my boondocker in my mouth again??

Al H.image

Comments

• Keets...You are certainly one of the ones on this board that I enjoy when it comes reading your posts. Thanks. Good ideas.
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Keets,

The only thing I'd like to add is that for the average collector filling an album, the '50-d is probably more elusive than the '50-p. Hence the demand (or perceived demand) on the d minted coin.

That's why you'll probably see '50-d coins in dealers cases at shows.

In our little slab world here, things are different than in the "real world" or on the local bourse.

BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Darin

the actual rarity here would be a VF 1950-D!!! i think someone posted a picture of one once, maybe it was that knucklehead Braddick when he was putting together his AG-O set!!

hey Pat, where are ya??

al h.image
  • Keets....I am glad to see you've finally seen the light.

NICKEL TRIUMPH.....NO STEPS
    NICKEL TRIUMPH...
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Try finding either date in change - I get more war nickels than either 1950.
    Wondo

• LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Most educational and illuminating, sir.
    DSW
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Try finding either date in change - I get more war nickels than either 1950. >>

The 50-P is under rated in circulated condition too. While this coin is available enough
    in MS-60 is a much better coin in other grades. These were set aside in greater numbers
    than would have been the case because some of the popularity of the D-mint nickel rub-
    bed off on it, but choice and gem examples are not common. Especially tough are XF and
    AU. These shoul be at least $2 coins in high circ grades but can be picked out of $5 rolls
    of circs.
    Tempus fugit.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great insight into a series that I think is going to get busy soon.

It seems to be getting alot of press since the 04 an 05 L&C designs became a reality.

This will more action in the Jeffies.

BTW. are the 1994P matte and 1997P matte considered keys to the series or are they excluded due to the special manufacture?
    hey Tom

i don't know that i'd call the SMS Jeffersons keys but i'd think they have excellent collector appeal due to their finish. i'm getting all five (?) Coin and Currency Sets in still sealed packaging and i think the 1994 and 1997 sets will be difficult to find intact as time wears on. i think it's the 1997 Jefferson that has some toning problems, oddly enough with the reverse only, and finding a totally brilliant example can be tough given the 25,000 set mintage. that coin along with the Matte Kennedy Half-Dollar seem to have settled in quite quickly at a high price. all in all, i'd assume any collector of the sereis would want the two Matte Jeffersons in their set. i have mine and always look for ones that sell cheap!!image

i'll probably incur the wrath of other patriots of the series, but..................the interesting thing about Jefferson Nickels for me is that they are relatively inexpensive and available through middle mint state grades if you're willing to look around. very attractively toned MS63-65 coins can be had for less than $3 at just about any show i attend, but................if you truly want a nice Full Step coin, the curve drops quickly. i think the series is more prone to strike weakness than any other modern coin with MS66 essentially the high water mark. on the upside, there are literally millions-----my estimate-----of rolls of coins to search that haven't been given a good look yet.

BTW, it's hard to give a realistic "key date(s)" list from my lofty perch because it's all dependent on how you want to assemble a set. DennisH has trouble finding MS66 coins in PCGS holders for his set and i'm dreaming the impossible dream by going him one better, MS66FS. i honestly believe there are dates which don't exist in that grade, true MS66FS coins. but i think i'll keep looking anyway!!image

al h.image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hey Darin the actual rarity here would be a VF 1950-D!!! i think someone posted a picture of one once, maybe it was that knucklehead Braddick when he was putting together his AG-O set!! hey Pat, where are ya?? al h.image >>

peacockcoins

image way to go Pat!!!

al h.image
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    Great thread Keets!!! I love the Jefferson Nickels. I agree with you on the fact that you can find beautifully toned coins in the range you mentioned (MS63-65) rather cheap. Plus some dealers don't check for varieties and you can cherrypick until your hearts content. I know one of my local dealers doesn't put that much of a premium on Full Step nickels and you can get a pretty good deal on them.
    Once again great thread.

Robert
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of all the register change, I can usually count on picking up a 40's or 50's Jeff out of the register on a fairly regular basis, and I do. I got 2 war nickels this week already. I remember Keets, when I was a kid putting together a nickel board I could not get a 50D for the longest time. I would regularly go to my local coin shop and the owner was never able to get one for me. Took a long time to hunt one down and when I finally did, it was choice plus when I wanted an AU to match my first set. Great thread Keets.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point Keets regarding 1950 nickels. The 1950(p) Jeff in PCGS-MS67FS just traded hands around $7,000 in the Portland Heritage sale. There, it was certainly not ignored!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Keets, well said....the 50-d key date thing vis-a-vis 50-p has amused me for a long time. Couple questions, how is the Warrensville coin show size-wise that is coming up? Also recently picked up my second 94 coin & currency set, and when I compared them noticed a major die crack on the right steps of one of the specimen nickels, has anyone else ever seen this? -mark-
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    The '50 and '50D are difficult to find in circulation, but it is still possible. I've managed to find both searching through rolls. image
    hey Mark

i have never attended the Warrensville Show because of work and stuff, but this year i'll be helping the local guy behind the table and walking the floor when i can. he's sharing a table with another dealer so the listing will be either Shaker Coin or Affordable Coin. stop over, we usually manage to have fun and some laughs. i believe the show appraoches 100 tables.

al h.image
  • Here's some interesting tidbits from current PCGS population numbers:

Mercury dimes, a 77-coin series, has 87,914 coins grading FB, with 5,545 of these grading 67FB.

Jefferson nickels, a 147-coin series, has 22,880 coins grading FS, with 1,439 of these grading 67FS.

That's right, buy 14 MS67FS Jefferson nickels and you own (control) 1% of the existing population!

This is not to say that full-step Jefferson nickels are rarer than full-step Mercury dimes, but with several years of healthy prices for top specimens, there has certainly been plenty of incentive to submit nice Jefferson nickels and reap financial rewards! For the most part, across the board, superb gem Jefferson nickels are proving to be very elusive indeed. Of course there are many more unsearched rolls, bags and mint-sets out there, but for most dates these either come low-grade, weakly struck, or both.

The top ten most common Jefferson nickels in MS67FS:
    1943-D...181
    2001-P...169
    1944-D...128
    1941-D...109
    1940-D...68
    1945-D...51
    2003-P...51
    2002-P...47
    2001-D...40
    1943-S...33
    Take away these coins, and that leaves just 562 67FS coins spread among 137 issues.

Man, I wish I would have put everything I had into BU Jefferson rolls 10 years ago!
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    "the interesting thing about Jefferson Nickels for me is that they are relatively inexpensive and available through middle mint state grades if you're willing to look around. very attractively toned MS63-65 coins can be had for less than $3 at just about any show i attend, but................if you truly want a nice Full Step coin, the curve drops quickly. i think the series is more prone to strike weakness than any other modern coin with MS66 essentially the high water mark. on the upside, there are literally millions-----my estimate-----of rolls of coins to search that haven't been given a good look yet.

So true. At the Portland show I looked for high grade as well as full step nickels. I was quite pleased with the high grade and nicely toned coins I found, including a very pretty MS66 1964-D. Cleanest fields and devices of that issue I've ever seen, all with a nice delicate blue toning, but no steps and a tad weak strike. Who cares? I spent 50 cents on it. Very low pop coin in that grade currently. Some marvelous bargains still to be had in the series.

David Bowers has mentioned in a number of his editorials that the '50-D was widely hoarded since there were a number of roll collectors for the time and the word of its low mintage spread quickly.

BTW, my 1950 MS65fs Jefferson was a tough coin to come across. Far more difficult than the '50-D (which I've now found two 6 step examples of - I'm sure there are many more).

Thanks for the discussion Al. Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Is the closing price of $662.00 a reasonable price for this coin.

Auction
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• For what it's worth I've only found one 1950 going through rolls. I've now gone through just shy of 14,000 nickels.

I still haven't found a 1939 D or S in circulation.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have 2 full rolls of 50-D's in FS!!! not to mention the other just missed coins. I have made all of 2 50-P's in FS (Both 65's). I agree Al the 50-P is far tougher in GEM FS.
  • hey al great topic, i agree 100 percent about the 1950 p, you can't find the high grades around here. i tried finding one to match my 1950 d as far as high grade goes but even our mutual friend up here in the coin business couldn't help me out with it. it's a crying shame that once someone says key coin the other coins in the series suffer for it.
    i like collecting a wide range of coins but my preference is full step jefferson nickels
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my looking for obw rolls for the past 35 years, I have seen at least 500 1950-D obw 5c rolls. I kept just one. In the same 35 year period, I have only seen 1 1950-P obw 5c roll. I made sure I did not let that one escape me. I kept that one too.

I expect the 1950-P BU rolls to soon surpass the 1950-D rolls in price, whether FS or not.

Another very important fact to mull over; there were NO US MINT SETS IN 1950!!!!!!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This same thing occurs with many other of the 1932 to date coinage. After the mint
    changed their policy to no longer mint short date runs, collectors have still tried to find
    tough coins among the current year's releases. Anytime a mintage gets a little low
    collectors will set aside a large number of coins for the year while in high mintage years
    they'll often neglect to set aside any coins. This is even more pervasive after 1965 for
    many issues. There is a strong tendency for the toughest clads to have the highest
    mintages.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file