Home U.S. Coin Forum

New record price for a sample slab.

The record was shattered twice in one day. The first time by 20% and then a little later that price was topped by yet another 10%+ increase.

The new record holder
And this is not one of the rarest sample slabs.

Comments

• rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I think the first one would have went higher had the label on the back not been bad!! image

• Both those slabs are really neat. I had seen the MS-60 grade before with a Morgan sample but on the first auction the MS-63 Morgan slab sold for less than this one and wasn't even known to exist. I really got outbid and wish I had bid more to get these for my collection.

Cameron Kiefer

• << <i>If you hold this slab at just the right angle under the right wavelength light source in an undiscovered dimension ( first you must throw the slab into the fireplace), you will see an inscription reading: "I found heaven at Kieffers Koins". >>

SNIKT!
    You are doing well, subject 15837. You are a good person.
  • The $180 sample:

If anyone has any like this pm me!image

Cameron Kiefer
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Over $200 for a $20 coin. Geez, you sample slab collectors are even weirder than I am.

Russ, NCNE
  • Yep Russ, those two slabs hadn't been sold in years and they are much scarcer than any of your DCAM AH's. It's not the coin, but a combination of the slab, label and coin inside.

Cameron Kiefer
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I recognized a couple people on the bid list there.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ..........boy, this is pitiful!!! a blatant case of buying the coin and not the holder if i've ever seen one.image

al h.image
  • Lets not turn this into a sample slab bashing thread. I wanted to post this days ago but decided not to because so many people aren't open minded when it comes to rarity of a product like a certain sample slab, and only look at the coin inside - like they are trained to do.

Cameron Kiefer
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets not turn this into a sample slab bashing thread. I wanted to post this days ago but decided not to because so many people aren't open minded when it comes to rarity of a product like a certain sample slab, and only look at the coin inside - like they are trained to do.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cammie.. Let them slam!! I got slammed a lot back in 1970 for collecting error coins!! image

Guess who got the last laugh on that one!!!! image

<< <i>lets not turn this into a sample slab bashing thread. >>

Sample slabs suck.

Russ, NCNE
  • Thanks Russ.image Sell me all the ones you got.

Good analogy rottonrog. Same with people who collected banknotes, coins with mintmarks etc.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>I wanted to post this days ago but decided not to because so many people aren't open minded when it comes to rarity of a product like a certain sample slab, >>

I considered that but decided it was important to demonstrate that some people are taking the hobby of sample slab collecting seriously and that it wasn't just you and me. Sample slabs ARE developing a following.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting rare plastic?

Pathetic ......

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

• << <i>Over $200 for a $20 coin. Geez, you sample slab collectors are even weirder than I am.

Russ, NCNE >>

Wow! Russ, you must be psychic! I got that coin at the Joliet, IL show 3/14. I saw it in the dealers case, (by pure luck, as I am not a Morgan man) and said,"How much for the sample?". $20 he replied, then said, "Well, wait a minute..." (OOHH Sheet, I thought...he's going to stick me)

He then consulted a greysheet and said" Yeah, ok, they list for $23, just wanted to make sure I wasn't overcharging you. Some poeple collect these samples."

"yes, they do." I agreed

"You will probably sell it for $40." he said.
    I laughed and moved on.

I thought it might be a record price when the auction ended...thanks for confirming that!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    I've watched the development of this slab collecting thing from its infancy. Hat's off to you Cameron and the others who have caught this bug.

I agree with Russ, you are even wierder than the rest of us numismatically oriented ones.

Of course, people in glass houses shouldn't [throw stones] [undress with the shades up] [skimp on Windex]?
    DSW
  • One more thing:
    As I left the show with my treasure, Guess who was standing outside in the cold smoking cig's, instead of looking for great deals inside?

MADMARTY!image I swear to God!
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Thats great.image Marty was outside probably telling everyone it has been picked clean and there is nothing good left.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Looks like the new game in town is to crack out sample slabs image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Sample slab.......image
    JoeCool
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would cross to a PCGS slab and be worth more?

<< <i>I wonder if it would cross to a PCGS slab and be worth more? >>

It wouldn't cross. It's obviously overgraded.

Russ, NCNE
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,228 ✭✭
    Cameron,

I never understood why the grading services do sample slabs to begin with, but I understand even less why anyone would pay premiums for them, what is the allure ?

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • They want to promote a new label or slab and the easiest way to get the word out is to give out samples at shows to colelctors and dealers. Sometimes they make less than a 100, sometimes hundreds of them for a show. It's a small amount compared to mintages of coins and older samples from years ago can be really hard to find since many of them were not saved. Read my website for more info why.

Cameron Kiefer
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315

<< <i>I recognized a couple people on the bid list there. >>

Guilty as charged !!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

<< <i>why anyone would pay premiums for them, what is the allure ? >>

Why does anyone pay a premium for any collectible? Tiffany lamps, which I think are butt ugly, certainly didn't have an initial selling price of hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's the beauty of any hobby. Different strokes for different folks.

Russ, NCNE
  • Hey, David Hall (Blessed Be His Name) once thought that the idea of paying premiums for Cameo proof coinage from the 1950's was a way-out idea!

There are Pioneers in every field. Some go the way of Jamestown, Virginia and fade away; some go the way of Staten Island.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hey Russ, send me your PR68DCAM Accent Hair Kennedy and I'll send you a ultra rare sample slab! Your getting the better end of the deal, Cammy said so!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is true; no one including Cameron can say for sure that sample collecting is a fad or is going to be around forever.

Now, in my opinion, I think it will be around longer than we think.

I was the bidder that won the MS-63 NGC sample 1887 silver dollar for $180 plus. Of course, I am going to Ohio and clop rottnrog on the head for daring to bid against me when I vist my alma mater. image

Error collectors like rottnrog should stay where they belong and stick with error slabs.

Let us sample collectors pick up all the samples before we get any more samplers to contend with!!!

Now, sample collecting is indeed a wierd form of collecting. It is certainly not abouit collecting coins. It is however a form of relaxation and therapy for the non-criminally insane. We all know who we are. We can all be proud of our propensity to share our insanity with others. image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file