Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did any of the graders participate in PCGS' World Series of Grading?

Just curious.

adrian

Comments

• Options
    I would think not. Nothing to gain, lots to lose!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The current PCGS graders were not allowed to participate, which is a shame, I would have like to see how they compared to the "official" grades and the former PCGS graders (who seem to be scoring around 75%.)
  • Options

<< <i>I would have like to see how they compared to the "official" grades and the former PCGS graders (who seem to be scoring around 75%.) >>

The graders graded the coins prior to putting them in the slab! The 75% right was against the PCGS graders since they said what grades the coins should be.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I seriously doubt that the graders can remember what grades they assigned.

Furthermore, there is no reason to believe that the graders see (on a consistent basis) what the final grade is that is assigned to any specific coins.

So, i think the PCGS graders are probably not permitted to participate because as previously mentioned, PCGS would have a great deal to lose and very little to gain.

By the way, if i owned PCGS, i also wouldn't let them participate for that very reason - the company would indeed have a great deal to lose and very little to gain. Imagine if the graders scored low grades!
  • Options
    1. It was a contest. Everyone would cry foul if they were allowed to participate.
    2. They would do good and win.
    3. Why imagine? It didn't happen and this sounds like another thread to just bash PCGS.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>3. Why imagine? It didn't happen and this sounds like another thread to just bash PCGS. >>

who is bashing PCGS?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I would think that the 75% score is about as close as you're going to get with a relatively random sample given the subjectivity of grading.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why do you think 75% is such a bad number?? it really just sounds bad the larger the sampling gets although the ratio of right vs. wrong is always the same. consider that at 4 coins graded they only missed one and with three coins, heck, you'd think they were perfect if they hadn't missed yet. given the entire spectrum of U.S. Coinage and the selectivity of the coins in the grading contest sampling, it's also highly probable that real world grading room examples would render a much closer figure to 100%. just think of all those Morgan and St. Gauden Bullion coins the graders see on a regular basis!!! some probably think the state quarter designs are neat.

...............which makes me think of something funny. a guy who's been on my work crew for about nine months recently asked me about a state quarter he received from one of the vending machines. evidentally he had no idea what they were and almost as little knowledge of their existence. hard to beleive until you consider that he's been in prison for five years!! not of a need for coins behind bars.

al h.image
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    The umpires don't play in the World Serie;, the refs don't play in the Super Bowl.

But, it would be an interesting test of consistency to have a triple crack-out contest where the graders grade a group of coins, then crack them out and have them graded by a different group of graders, then crack them out again and have them graded by the same graders. In order to lessen the factor of memory, it could be 100 coins, all of the same type.

Hmmm. . .
    DSW
  • Options
    To ask an umpire or ref to play would be asking them to do that which they do not do.
    Asking a grader to grade only makes it competitive.
  • Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I think that one way to "get PCGS to compete" in the competition would be to get a bunch of coins selected at random which have already been graded by PCGS and crack them out and resubmit them. If they grade 75% of the coins the same way they originally graded them, well, the graders at PCGS (as a whole) are as competent at predicting grades assigned at PCGS as the best graders that recently competed are at the same.

[As inferred or actually directly stated, I believe that the contest is really one that determines which contestants are best at predicting the grades assigned at PCGS as opposed to determining who are the best graders. While that may be splitting a hair ("Sharp enough to split a hare! Split a hare!" - for those of you who are afficionados of Bugs Bunny......), the truth is just as i have described it, and quite frankly, PCGS is believed by many to be the end of the rainbow when it comes to grading coins, so the test is indeed one of some validity.....SOME validity.

Validation of my characterization of the test is that the top three graders were former members of the PCGS grading staff. They are privy to the information that the graders have been given.....like...."Bob, you moron, s mint Barber halves almost always come weakly struck......stop discounting them so much for a little weakness in the shield on the reverse."]

(Remember, a particular grader cannot be "tested" in this way as they grade by consensus.)

Make sense? Can i see a show of hands? Anyone? Anyone....Ferris? Ferris Beuhler?

adrian
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I would think not. Nothing to gain, lots to lose!

My thinking was right along those lines.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

<< <i>I would think not. Nothing to gain, lots to lose!

My thinking was right along those lines. >>

Actually the would have a lot to lose if they didn't score well.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file