Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When was the last time you saw a 69-S DDO for sale?

I can't even remember the last time I saw a nice 69-S Strong DDO for sale. Has anyone seen one recently? What is the going rate these days?

Comments

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Last one I "saw" for sale was by Jack Beymer at the 1999 ANA in Chicago. I haven't really been looking though, they are far out of my reach.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I saw one go up for auction in the last month or so.

Let me look...................
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one sold at Heritage Auctions March 27, 2004 for $43,700 in Portland, Oregon. PCGS graded it MS62BN.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    This kind of confueses me. Roger's Coins (remember Roger, aka RedCents) has a 69-s DDO ms65rd in his all time greatest registry set. Correct me if I'm wrong but I swear I saw him buy it from Wondercoin on ebay for $25,000, last fall maybe? As soon as he got it in his set he sold his set. Anyway, has it really gone up in price that much that a BN 62 is $43,700? That seems ridiculous. Also of note, now there isn't an ms65 in the pop report anymore, so I guess they had pcgs regrade the 65 (to 64 I assume?), and the current finest Memorial varieties set has the pop 1/0 ms64rd.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should really confirm some of this before I spout from memory, but here goes: I think one of these in 65RD sold in the Dr Juan XII de Suros collection several years ago, and folks who had seen it first-hand described a large fingerprint in the obverse field. It may have been that coin which got regraded to 64RD. I also could be confusing this coin with the 1970-S DDO which sold in the same auction.

About four or five years ago an example turned up in circulation out west (I want to say Montana?), and Coin World had a fascinating feature article about it. It was graded EF45 by ANACS and changed hands about eight times in a two month period, gaining value at every step. The last value I recall was in the $8,000 range. I also have an ad from Sam Lukes I clipped from Coin World in July of 2000, where he offers a PCGS 64RD example for $35,000. In his ad he states "PCGS has graded three of these in red, two 65s and this 64, which is the second reddest of the trio." Another ad I saved from April 2001 no longer lists the coin.

Heh, after all that, I don't even know if I answered your question. image

Edited to add: I almost forgot - one showed up on eBay about three years ago, circulated, in an ANACS holder, with around a $6,000 opening bid. It may have been the Coin World coin, and I don't recall it selling.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's a coin i always dreamed of cherry-picking. needless to say, no dice.

K S
  • Options
    so what is the estimated mintage on this one?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    If I remember right, there have only been 10-20 found in any condition!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that Angel Dees has one for sale.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    My memory might be a bit rusty, but here is what I think I know:

Pop reports are all messed up on this one. There is a 65 red; nice for the grade. There is also a 64 red; nice for the grade, and a 64 red with fingerprint(s) (Soros specimen maybe?). Next is a 62RB and two 62BN coins; the Heritage example is one of those and recently graded. Wondercoin had a 58...Roger did not purchase this coin. It may be the same coin that Mark mentions in Angel Dee's inventory. It was a really nice slider that one might think could go 61-62 on a good day.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one about three years ago that I got on consignment for a want list customer. It was in a PCGS holder, was not Mint State, and would not have been my choice as a type coin for the Lincoln / Memorial reverse design if you follow my drift.

Still it was real, and as such must be viewed as very scarce or "rare."
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Are there any links to Angel Dees?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file