Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

is this collectors universe or ebay universe ?

i see a whole lot of people use this site to try to get people to look at their ebay auctions and i do not agree with that , if you are going to advertise them on this site then sell them on this site !!!imageimage

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to stay around here you had better get used to it. While I aggree with you a lot of folks here are full or part time dealers and this is free advertising.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    What are you buying/selling/trading in this thread?

SPAM!!!!!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What coinbuf said. Nothing wrong with links to eBay, as long it says so in the title of the auction. If you don't want to buy off eBay, fine. Ignore the threads that say "eBay" in the title. If you click on a thread that doesn't say "eBay" in the title and has an eBay link, THEN you can complain.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CU will never enforce such a regulation.
    J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • I didn't sign anything that said that.
  • 7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    Here's my opinion - if I am in the market for a coin I come here and also go to eBay. No sense cluttering up these boards with ads that do not offer to sell to board members - only to advertise that the coins for sale are over at eBay.
    Anyone with a little skill at all can set up their eBay searches to locate specific coins for sale on eBay and coming to these boards to advertise eBay listings, in my view, is not appropriate.
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    I had a thought about the for sale forums. I think that it would be cool if there were separate forums. One for Ebay items only and one for forum items only.
    I appreciate being able to put E-bay auctions on here. I had my first auctions just this last week.
    I tried to use courtesy when I had my auctions. What I mean by courtesy is:

(1) Put all auctions in one thread.
    (2) TTT only once a day. (unless of course your thread gets buried 3 or 4 pages back)

These are just thoughts that I have had.

Robert
  • BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    This is how I find who to buy from on Ebayimage
    If it is a member I will bid, I have passed up a lot of stuff just because they are not members.

• << <i>i do not agree with that >>

You aren't the moderator or the person who set the rules. It has been discussed many times and basically if you don't like it, don't open this forum.

Cameron Kiefer
  • I for one love Ebay! I haven't had a bad experience there! Anytime anyone can hook me up with a coin I need, that's a good experience.....
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Buddy,

This topic pops up every few monthsimage

I know I started one over 2 years ago, & things weren't as bad as they are now.

Back then there were even people willing to trade coinsimage

There are still a few traders, some sellers(here), but it is an eBay portal.
    At first it was in their thread, then some of us got a little upset, so it was agreed that the threads that sold on eBay have that on their title.

It still doesn't help the little guy who just wants to buy here, where we are a 'family', where we don't get charged $15 S/H/I, then find the postage was $3.50 & no insurance! Or trade here, one on one.

I don't understand why there is such a resistance to another board, 'Auctions' for example. Somehow eBay, IMHO, does not fit into "BUY", "SELL" or "TRADE"........I guess a BIN sort of fits in the "SELL" catagory.

NOW WATCH ME GET BURNEDimage

One last note, why not set up a poll to see what others think?
  • Well, I do feel more comfortable buying from a board member, even if it is on Ebay. I feel that "Ebay" should definitely appear somewhere in the title if we are going to continue on the way we are now.

I think it would be nice if there were a different auction board. I think we all know the reason that people object to this idea is because they know it wouldn't be checked the way that this one will. I think that ought to tell us something.
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to this thread I have created my first poll:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=276042

Please Vote!
  • How many of you guys BlTCHEN ever bought a coin from a forum member? I agree with Cameron here if you don't like it stay out. I like ALL opportunities to buy and like to know when an e-bay auction is being held by a forum member. I don't even care if you put e-bay in the title. Is an extra click gonna kill ya?

• RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    There have been polls on a number of occaisions.

The responses come down to roughly an even split between "leave it the way it is," and a "separate eBay board."

There are usually about 1/4 of the responses that answer "couldn't care less."

This doesn't even take into account the uncounted masses that skip the pole as a total waste of their time!

How many thousands of members are there? .....With only a few hundred actively posting on a regular basis.....And actually about 75 that responded to the poles...... It's not a good representation of the opinions of the whole spectrum of board members!
  • razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Trout70;
    Get a grip! Keep comin' back!image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    7summits;
    Get a grip! Keep comin' back!image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • I have one e-bay thread here. For the most part these items were listed for sale here first. Each time I would ttt once a day. I sold a few and still had more to sell. Maybe some forum members thought my prices were high but I see them bidding now. And yes I do think forum members expect to be treated better by other forum members. I have bought and sold $1000 coins here with not one problem or complaint. Also e-bay in the title is a courtesy mostly to the dial up people who have to wait . An item for auction is for sale. The auction only determines to who. Joe
    my auctionsimage
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, very few items sell off the boards. Occasionally, I place coins on here before Ebay, but they tend to sell on Ebay and not here. It's sad, but I've sold coins to members for more on Ebay than I offered them here for.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    like cammie said image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I'm in total agreement with what Michael Dixon.

I generally try to offer up certain items here on the boards BEFORE Ebay, as long as time permits.

Right now I have a thread with some items for sale NOT on Ebay, and a thread for items ON Ebay.

We're all here because we enjoy coins in one aspect or another. Click on the links, or threads that you may have interest in, and don't look at the items you don't have interest in, and try to enjoy yourself here.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • What do you care, you dont have any money anyway, I found out the hard way after wasting a lot of time with you!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • When I am upgrading my Registry I come here 1st. If there is a link to ebay or another site I thank all who is doing this. "I myself have never been told what to read if I opened the book".
    Mikeimage
  • Dukie101Dukie101 Posts: 1,313
    I've bought here and ebay threads. I have traded with a few board members. I list here and ebay. I'll cancel an auction if a board member makes a reasonable offer. I like it the way it is. That being said Ebay should be put in the header,multiple threads bumped more than once a day is offensive ebay or no ebay.

It seems like ever 2 months or so this debate keeps coming up.Don't let the little things bother you.Trade,buy,sell coins ebay or no ebay.Use this forum for fun.
    Larry
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wsm,
    What do you care, you dont have any money anyway, I found out the hard way after wasting a lot of time with you!
    Man! you don't beat around the bush-do you? Unfortunately, there's about 20 members who feel the same way!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • I've bought from many members here and on eBay and have never been burned. I appreciate knowing what members are selling on eBay.

I would love to see more members list coins here first, passing along the savings in listing fees and final value fees. I also like the few that offer free shipping to forum members on their eBay auctions...usually means I can bid a few more $$$. image

Ron
  • Ron I give the free shipping to forum members because at least the collectors here appreciate the coins and are less likely to suffer buyers remorse. Even when you sell to a stranger you want them to be happy in the long run with their purchase. I have received good trades and deals here as well image
    joeyuk91r8 e-bay auctions
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess I'll through my two cents worth in.

I for one, regularly offer coins her before e-bay. It's a nice curtisy and when something does sell, I dont have any e-bay fees. Honestly, though, if I WANT something to sell this isnt really the best place for me to sell it. At that time, I do post what I have on e-bay. Depending on how much time I have, I might post individual links to all the coins. If I'm flat out board, I'll even update where the auctions are at once a day.

Most of us would agree with rdunnit on this matter. If you put e-bay in the title, those that dont want to see it can just skip over it. Only do ttt once a day, unless you get buried on page 3 or further back. If you'll check on the BST board right now, you'll see where I've practiced this preaching over the last several days. I think there was one day I posted twice, on that one, I was on page three... and the ttt was about six hours after the previous post.

David
  • My two cents:

I look at Ebay everyday for what I collect. If you put it on Ebay...I'm gonna see it several times. If you put it on the BST, that means it makes it much harder for me to find those coins that I haven't already seen a few times on Ebay.

That being said..if the majority don't mind the redundancy of listing on the BST...then I'll just keep on sifting.

BUT.....by all means....please make sure you put Ebay in the title if it's listed on Ebay so I don't have to look at your coin a third or fourth time.

Take care.
    Go well.