Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Fugio For Your Viewing Pleasure

Here's a recent acquisition that I thought you might enjoy. We purchased this coin to fill a customer's want list, so it's already sold and this is not a sales pitch. I was inspired to post this coin after reading This Thread that CCU posted regarding an NGC Fugio that was graded AU-55.

Our coin is 11-X, which is quickly identifiable by the heavy obverse clash marks (see rings near date). It's a low R.4 variety that is known to exist in high grades, thanks to the Bank of New York Hoard of Fugio coppers. The recent Ford sale included 3 examples in Ch. Uncirculated condition. Note that the Ford catalogers where careful not to apply Sheldon numbers to the colonials.

Enjoy:

imageimage

PS - at the customer's request, this coin is being submitted to PCGS today for grading. Our prediction: MS-63 BN. It was purchased as a Ch. Unc.

www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's the die clash? image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Nice coin! Why did they not include the Sheldon #'s?

Cameron Kiefer
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    That's more like it!! image

Nice one....
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! By the way, is it ex. Norweb?? image
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Fugios are cool. Don't accost the poor soul about Norweb.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I love the history and beauty of these coins.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Die Clash? That was a Die Crush! Is that a die crack I see at 6:00 on the reverse?

I'm gonna have one of these one day.........not that nice, but I will have one someday.
    imageimage

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    You gotta love a coin that says "Mind Your Business".

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Here are responses to some of the posts:

Why did they not include the Sheldon #'s?
    Grading of most coins, but especially Colonial copper, is subjective. It's too difficult to pin point a grade on any one coin due to the many variables that were introduced by the primitive minting process in colonial America. It's okay to assign a numerical grade, imo, but understand that it's subjective and some may not agree. It's best to simply narrow the grade down to AU or Ch. Unc, etc. For the early issues, the eye appeal is really what determines the price.

By the way, is it ex. Norweb? imageimage

Is that a die crack I see at 6:00 on the reverse?
    Yes, it is indeed a die crack, which probably occurred when the dies were heavily clashed (just a guess on my part). You should consider buying a Fugio sooner than later. In the past five years, I have seen the prices rise dramatically. The supply is obviously finite. You can get a really nice VG-F for $200 or so, depending on eye appeal.

You gotta love a coin that says "Mind Your Business".
    That saying today in America has a different meaning than it did in 1787 Colonial America. In 1787 "MIND YOUR BUSINESS" meant "PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR AFFAIRS", or something along those lines. The overall theme of the coin is "TIME". Note the sun dial on the obverse. Also, "FUGIO" translated from Latin means "I FLY", a reference to time. Benjamin Franklin (designer of the coin), who was a time junkie, was really saying "Hey fellow Americans, work hard, work smart and don't be lazy because time flies". Kinda like the Pink Floyd song, Time. The reverse design is self explainatory; 13 chains representing 13 colonies, linked together because as "united states", "we are one".

Gotta love it.....

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090

<< <i>You gotta love a coin that says "Mind Your Business". >>

I like that more than "In God We Trust".
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

That's a nice looking Fugio.

What is the true color? Is a a dark chocolate or light brown?
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
    << You gotta love a coin that says "Mind Your Business". >>

I like that more than "In God We Trust".

Now there's an idea!
  • What is the true color? Is a a dark chocolate or light brown?

Relayer, it's light brown.

Shamika, "Mind Your Business" is too long to fit on a Lincoln Penny. How about if we use "Bite Me"

How about if we use "Bite Me"

I believe that would do nicely.
  • That Fugio belongs in my collection!!!image
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • jasbucksjasbucks Posts: 127 ✭✭
    Interesting post & thx for the lesson!image
    Jack
  • LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    What a trip. Look at the eyes of that character on the obverse! Amazing, simply amazing. How many zillion dollars in round numbers are we talking about here -- in case I have a very good year.
    DSW
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beautiful coin, excellent for type, got to be a coin high on anyone's want list

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    That's a great coin and a great lesson. I will also have one of these some day. I hope GaCoinGuy doesn't take mine.
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Look at the eyes of that character on the obverse! Amazing, simply amazing. How many zillion dollars in round numbers are we talking about

Lawman, truly uncirculated Fugios will run between $2K and $4K, as a rule, but there are exceptions for higher and lower. The 3 11-X examples in the recent Ford sale sold for $2,400, $5,500 and $7,500. All three were graded "Ch. Unc, RB", although the $7,500 example was dramatically double struck.

I included the close-up to show what a well struck example looks like. You are right, the eyes are well struck. Until you have examined a high-end Fugio, you would not know that the sun actually has a fully featured face, complete with eyes, a nose, protruding forehead and a little smile...... image

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! That's some serious clashin'!

Hmm. Now I've got a song from my high school era stuck in my head.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can't see the image originally posted - instead I'm getting the tiny blue green and red graphics that indicate 'there is a picture here, and everyone else seems to be able to see it (and they really are enjoying it by the way), but you can't'.
    ROCK THE KAZBAR!!!
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    by way of clarification for newbies, i believe you mean "sheldon grade", not "sheldon #". "sheldon #" of course would refer to early large cent varieties.

sensational coin, too bad it's being condemned to plastic.

K S
  • CCU,

I'm really enjoying the Pics!!!

CC
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Will it have the Ford pedigree? image
  • sensational coin, too bad it's being condemned to plastic.

Yes, I agree.....too bad that it's getting slabbed, but that's business I guess. image If I could afford something like this for my collection, it would be raw forever......like a nudist camp for Fugios.

Will it have the Ford pedigree?

This coin was not part of the Ford sale, but.........yeah, sure, why not? image

• Nice BONY hoard Fugio. It gets the abuell seal of approval.
  • Abuell, thanks for the compliment, but why are you calling my coin bony?? image

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Abuell, thanks for the compliment, but why are you calling my coin bony?? image >>

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Since it took me so long to take this picture, upload it, download it and stick it in here I'm just going to go ahead and post in about 6 different threads and get my money's worth.

• CCU, very nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file