Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan Master Set

Hi guys-

I have been lurking on this board for quite some time and FINALLY got my login info today (I'm not going to complain about PSA service in my first post). I guess this mainly goes out to Keith and SJ- I just started my Nolan Ryan Master Set in January, and I am hoping to be a regular on here from now on. You two guys have some awesome sets and I was wondering if anyone else from the NRMS is on here. It really seems like a daunting set to tackle- not only pricewise but also with the sheer volume of the cards (not to mention the new ones that are guaranteed to pop up). I just wanted to throw in my two cents about some of the stuff being discussed. As far as the 1994 cards, I totally agree that they should not be included in the registry. It just opens the door for more of the junk that has come out recently. The whole reason I collect this set is not only for the player himself, but I prefer the cheap mass-produced cardboard issues to the limited edition 1/1 uniform jersey bat gold foil holograms that look like something Don West should be selling on Shop at Home. That's what makes the cards intrinsically fun to collect - it's almost like they weren't even meant to reach the customer in perfect shape, making it that much more meaningful when you can actually find good looking examples of them.

Kind of going along with that, the Pacific junk is also just asking for trouble. It really is just a matter of time until someone comes along and gets the entire set graded just to beef up their numbers. I just don't understand the thrill of pulling a Nolan ryan card from a pack with his name printed on the outside of it.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself. You guys are more than welcome to check out my Ryan set. It is and will always be a work in progress - I've got scans of most of my stuff up in the past week or so, and I'm trying to provide a little background. Keith, I actually dealt with you for a 1988 Topps Tiffany RB card. I actually emailed you about it, found one the next day that I bought, and ended up buying a second one from you. Oh well- I'm going to use the excuse that I'm new and didn't know any better.

Comments

• Options
    Hi mudflap02,

Welcome aboard and good luck on the Nolan Ryan Master set. Hopefully PSA grading is cost prohibitive enough to desuade anyone from grading the Pacific sets, but you never know.

If you ever have any questions or want lists just let me or Keith know, I'm sure between us we have quite a few doubles, triples or more of some cards and we may be able to save you some money versus Ebay. I also have quite a few raw Ryan cards that are worth grading, but I didn't bother grading them because I bought an already graded version on Ebay.

Take it easy and happy collecting,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc

------------------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Cards (68-94)
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards! I don't collect Ryan but I empathise with the trials and tribulations of player set collecting.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    mudflap;

Welcome aboard! Nice to have another Ryan fan in the forum. Beside Scott and I, Justin Lindenmuth is also on the boards occasionally, and Larry Emard (King Kellogg) can be found on here quite often. He's climbing the Ryan Master Set pretty quickly. My experiences with him, Scott, and Justin have all been great. They are assets to the hobby and I am sure you will get to know them too!

Nice to hear your input on the Ryan stuff. I started out against 1994 issues being included, but I am on the fence now as a few astute collectors pointed out other post-active cards generally seen as valid player cards -- 1969 Mantle, 1973 Clemente, 1987 Tom Seaver (in Bosox garb to boot!). These cards are in those player sets too. So, I guess the 1994 Ryan stuff qualifies as much as these. It just stinks that there are probably 30 different 1994 issues to contend with.

But, I am in complete agreement (and disgust) with the Pacific issues (any year, any set). I have a thought to email BJ and ask that these be broken out of the Ryan Master Set and put into their own set (Ryan Pacific Master Set). Perhaps this will appease anyone who collects the Pacific junk, but it won't deter the rest of Ryan collectors from enjoying the true Master Set. I would like your thoughts on this idea. What do you think Scott?

Sorry to hear you doubled up on that 88 Tiffany... I have lots of other graded Ryan stuff in duplicate. If you want to trade it back to me for something you actually need, let me know and I'll be happy to swap to fill a hole or two for you. Like Scott, I have TONS of raw Ryan cards and many graded duplicates. I'll try to help you out if you are interested. I also have 60 Ryans (many dupes) at PSA now. If I have them before the apocalypse, I will post the extras here for all Ryan guys to pick from.

Welcome! And I hope we can keep some good Ryan chat going on these boards! Beats a lot of the junk that's been on here lately!

• Options
    qmayerqmayer Posts: 286
    mudflap-

Welcome to the boards! Its always nice to see lurkers take the plunge and throw their $0.02 into the mix. I'm a collector of Nolan Ryan as well, but pulled out of the Master Set because I got a headache thinking of all those cards I'd have to find and grade (almost to the point of questioning why I was collecting!) I found the Topps and Basic sets much easier to handle and have had a lot of fun. I don't submit very often and usually just bottom feed on eBay, but I would be glad to help in any way I can. Keith and Larry are class acts themselves and I know they would be happy to help a fellow Ryan collector too! Good luck!

Justin Lindenmuth
    qmayer@austin.rr.com
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Howdy Boys!!!

I'll pipe in here and also welcome mudflap02...

This is a pretty fun group of Ryan collectors. You'll enjoy the company. I'm just trying to "fill" a few holes with my tiny set. It's a lot of fun though...

I have a pile of dup's here for trading or whatever, also have a group going into PSA...(trying to keep up with Ryan maniacs ..Kieth, Scott, and Justin.....and that's not easy...LOL....) Email is in my sig line if interested...

Again...Welcome...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mudflap!image

I'm also working on the Nolan Ryan Master Set. He was my favorite player when I was growing up in San Diego. I mainly go after already graded cards, since I don't really have the time to sort through alot of raw cards to find registry-worthy ones to send in.

Anywho...best of luck to you in your collecting pursuits and I look forward to seeing you on the boards. There are alot of good people hereimage

Steve Dawson
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Thanks guys-

Right now I'm at the point where the initial thrill has kind of worn off and I'm able to approach the set from a fairly rational standpoint. I actually have probably 60- 70% of the cards in the set that are ungraded, but few of those will be submitted because of their rough shape. I think my strategy for now is to focus on the 1980 and up cards, because I am still in school and it will be a lot easier to tackle some of the earlier cards once I don't have to pay tuition (I graduate from A&M in August then it's on to the USMC). It's just not worth it to me now to get the earlier cards in low grades to register them when I know they will be upgraded later on. For now, I will just mainly be trying to buy 10's from the bay, and relying on submissions for everything else. I have about 70 that are waiting to go off right now that will probably wind up there around May. On kind of a side note, I was wanting to know how you guys felt about sniping auctions. When I first started buying Ryan cards, I would get in bidding wars with 1 or 2 buyers in particular (I don't believe it was anybody on this board), and I started using sniping software that has saved me a ton of money. I have mixed feelings about using it, but theoretically it's not breaking any rules if my max bid is higher than anyone else's. It just seems like some of these guys (7155ds, UFGator1993, goodcompany2000, and chargerfan-14, to name a few) have a bankroll that is significantly higher than mine, and this seems to level the playing field. I'm also kind of surprised that these guys haven't registered sets- they have won a pretty fair amount of great cards.
  • Options
    Mudflap,

Well, I happen to be Chargerfan-14 and my bankroll is limited to Air Force enlisted payimage

I've been able to afford a few higher value cards lately, due to an inheritance I received last summer, but unfortunately, that is rapidly diminishing image

The Nolan Ryan set is the one set that I'm going after in super-high grade, since he was and still is my favorite baseball player of all-time image

As for your question about sniping, I usually put my real bid in within the final 10 seconds of an auction, specifically to avoid a bidding war with someone elseimage

Steve Dawson

P.S. Good choice about joining the military...just not too sure about the Marine Corpsimage

edited because I just noticed I forgot how to spellimage
  • Options
    I also wanted to ask about 2 particular cards. Both carry a weight of 5, so understandably they will be more sought after, the 1993 Finest Refractor and the 1985 Topps Mini. A refractor just finished up on ebay in PSA 8 at a little over $800. I knew they weren't cheap, but my stars that blew me away. Do you think this is the exception or the rule? There is no SMR for that set, but I've also heard that 9's fetch somewhere in the thousands. The other card was the 1985 Topps mini test issue. Will it be in about the same neighborhood. Just a couple of the 5 jillion things that intimidate me about this set. Like I said, I hope to become a more serious player in this market someday, but for now I am trying to keep it under $50 a card except for that rare occasion when I get a wild hair. I have about 5 cards now that cost in the triple digits, but they were only purchased because either I felt like I was getting a good deal on them, or I was being stupid and decided that I had to have it. Either way, I've ended up with a few really nice cards.
  • Options
    Good to know who I am dealing with now Steve - put me on your IM and hopefully we can work some of these out in advance and try to save some money. As far as the Marines, I am taking a commission and ***hopefully*** will be attending flight school after completion of OCC and TBS as a Naval Flight Officer.
  • Options
    I just realized that you won 2 cards from me last week (the 1990 UD PSA 10's)image if PSA had gotten me my login info when I requested it I could have some listing fees! I will shoot you an email with some other cards I have from that submission and let me know if there is anything else you want/need.
  • Options
    mudflap;

Those 2 Ryans you pointed out are very tough cards... hence the really high prices. There are only about 250 93 Refractors in existence. I think 40+ are in PSA slabs. The PSA 8 went for so much because it seems this card is hard to find centered. I have none. The last time a PSA 9 came up it went for over $2200!!!! Ask Scott, he was in the thick of that one. The 85 Topps Mini was a very limited test issue in conjunction with OPC. It came with a blank back version as well. Estimates say about 500 were printed. It is very rare in graded form. I bid on a PSA 10 last fall in a Mile High auction, but lost out as it went for about $1800!!!

Feel free to PM me here and I'll see what I can do for you to fill your set. I have extras coming out of my ears! I'd like to see what I can do to help you build your set.

BTW, "goodcompany2000" is on these boards too. He is TexasHeatWave. Seems to be a nice guy. He is definitely your main competition for PSA 10s. Makes me glad I got a head start on my set a couple years ago. I don't think I could compete with the current crop of guys chasing hi-grade Ryans.

Good luck and I hope to get to know you a better through these posts.
  • Options
    mudflap;

I think with sniping it's to each his own. Personally, I do not use it. I will usually plunk down my bid early on and just live with what happens. If I get outbid, then someone wanted the card more than me. With Ryan stuff, there is usually not a long wait until the next copy of a card appears on eBay. Once in a while, I will wait until late in the auction to place a bid, but usually it's because I am waiting on the outcome of a prior auction. I only have so much money to spend so I dole my bids out accordingly.

Sometimes, being the victim of a snipe can be frustrating for me, but its just a function of how most high-end auctions work.

Steve;
    Nice to make the connection! I often see the "chargerfan14" name come up on auctiuons. I am always curious because Ryan was my favorite baseball player and Dan Fouts was my favorite football player as a kid -- and I have always lived near Boston! Go figure!
  • Options
    Hey Mudflap,

Glad to put that connection together about you and the 1990 UD PSA 10's I won this past saturdayimage

Also, turn on your PM's (go to profile on the upper right, and click on "allow private messages"). That way, other CU members (like me...hint) can send you private messages (like emails). When you get a PM, the little padlock on the upper left will flash and it will say how many new unread messages you have.

Con40,

That's interesting about Dan Fouts being your favorite player, being that you're from around Boston. I know there's a big Fouts fan in Detroit that I used to battle on ebay for Fouts cards. When I mentioned about Ryan being the one player I'm going after in super-high grade, I somehow forgot about Fouts (I must've been thinking baseball only). I'm also going after Fouts cards in 9 and 10. In fact, I just picked up a PSA 10 1/4 1975 Fouts rookie about a month ago, and I'm currently awaiting receipt of the 1976 Fouts in PSA 10 1/1 that I just picked up on ebay last week.

Steve
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Mudflap02 - The 93 Finest Refractor is a very tough card for two reasons. 1) Its limited in number definity around 250 or less, I'm still trying to find my SCD, I believe that it had the production numbers. 2) The card is most commonly off center. Alot like the current raw one that is on Ebay now, the best it will grade is 9 OC or 8 OC if there is any corner ding. Too hard to tell from the scan in the auction, but the centering on that one definitely sucks at least 75/25 left to right. Prices for these cards will vary but this is what I have seen over several auctions:
    93 Finest Ryan PSA 9 $2200+ (singlely)
    93 Finest Set that had a PSA 9 Ryan in it $5700+
    93 Finest Ryan PSA 8 $800+ (two auctions that I have seen)
    93 Finest Ryan PSA 9OC $300 - $600 (two fairly recent auctions)

The 1985 Topps/OPC Mini Ryan was a production test issue with a run around 100 + or -. Some have blank backs, some normal backs, and some horribly miscut.
    1985 Topps/OPC Mini Ryan PSA 10 (like Keith said $1800+, what kills me is this could have been bought from Mile High directly for $1500 I believe, before the auction)
    1985 Topps/OPC Mini Ryan PSA 9 (One went on MileHigh for $750+ and I got mine for $465 on Ebay)

These don't pop up often so when they do you must do a gut check and decide how much you want to pony up for them.

Chargerfan14, Ufgator, Diveboy, CPABid, TFin, Sjeanblanc, Con40 and others can be pretty furious bidders when some of the less common PSA 10 Ryan surface, so don't expect them all to come easy. 7155ds is one that I am still trying to figure out, they won a few from me last month and the name was Landstar Holding Co. based in Texas. Paid right away, no complaints just a little mysterious.

Enjoy your collecting experiences as much as possible, some will be bad, but its the good ones that make the hobby worth it. Good luck when graduation comes around, and even more luck in the USMC.

Steve & Justin, if there's anything you guys need and don't want to fight on Ebay for it just email me and if I have it I will give you some deals.

Good luck to all Nolan Ryan collectors,

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)

• Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I've been watching the two threads regarding master set composition closely here since they've popped up over the last week or so. Since I don't currently have a registry for a player set I've been reluctant to post anything, but I have a few points/questions that maybe can be addressed. Don't take it as a guy who's trying to butt in, but I'm curious...

First, I don't understand why '94 cards shouldn't be introduced (though I am 100% behind anything beyond that being barred). There are numerous cards that reflect the last year a player winds up playing that are in master sets. Other than the two that are listed, there are several others that haven't been mentioned - the '78 Topps Brooks Robinson, '88 Fleer Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose has his '87 Topps cards in and his '88 Manager card in (though I feel that's questionable), and dozens of other examples. In fact, until I read this, I considered inclusion of cards from the year after the player's last actual season to be unquestioned. After all, many times a player is still active when the cards are made but retires before the season starts, like Mantle. But hey, that's just me. Bump them if you like, but I disagree with the logic.

Secondly, the whole idea of the Master set to be a "finish line that keeps moving" struck me, because it's true. However, is a finished maste set of a player that's incomplete what you want, or do you want one that covers just about everything? If it's the latter, then you can't get too attatched to your % completed. I realize that can be a near impossible request for a collector, but I can't think of any way around it, unless someone wants to sit down and catalog every possible item to be submitted and have them added en masse.

A third thing is the exclusion of the Pacific cards et al. I think that's fine; after all, the registry really belongs to the collectors, not to the dealers or PSA or anyone else. However, I was wondering where you draw the line. There's a 10 card Mother's Cookies set that's already in there. There's a 26 card (I beleve) Coke set that's not (due more I think to the lack of submissions than anything). I was wondering how you all feel about that - I'd really like to know. What stays and what goes?

The last thing is this: Bet money those Pacific cards will be graded eventually. I often submit cards that I can make a few bucks on, because I like the chase and because I like to finance my collecting with the proceeds. I must admit that I was kicking around sending in some, just to a) see how they grade and b) see what the market might bear. I haven't bought any yet, and any submission is far down the line, but if I'm thinking about it then so are others. I'd never interfere with something like a Master set roster in a lame attempt to boost sales, but once the cards hit the street, you can bet a collector who buys a few will call them in to have them listed.

So I'm posting this as an FYI for all you guys: Get with PSA to get this all sorted out now, before someone else tries to meddle with it. Figure out what sets, if any, don't belong. There are enough people who are registered for Ryan that they should be able to get a wide range of inputs. Life has enough frustrations as it is - I'd hate to see someone ditch their Registry collecton because it became too much of a hassle.

• Options
    Two addendums: One, you guys should really check out the Pete Rose master roster. Someone submitted two decks of Rose playing cards from the 70s and had them added. Do you think they should be included? That's up to you , but get the ground rules firmed up while you can. The other thing is I was kicking around the Pacific idea before any of the threads popped up, so don't think you gave an evil man a bad idea. image
  • Options
    SDSportsfan - I've sold you some Charger stuff over the last couple of years - I didn't realize that was you. Good to have you around.
  • Options
    I guess the only way I can justify how I feel about the inclusion of some of the cards i just to go with my gut instinct. As far as the Mother's Cookies cards, I consider those the epitome of the oddball issue - I remember having them when I was 7 or 8 years old. I would think that the vast majority of them ended up in the hands of kids, not collectors, making it a challenge to find examples in high grades (I mean,. come on, they were shipped in bags of cookies!). The Pacific set seems just the opposite to me - it was made at the end of Ryan's career by a fledgling company trying to cash in on the man's 27 years of success. The cards were marketed to collectors, and were overproduced in a bad way - try pricing some unopened boxes on ebay.

I guess the main point I'm trying to make is: If want to find a perfect example of a Mother's card, it could be pretty tough, but if I want a Gem Mint Pacific, all I have to do is drop $5.00 for two boxes of them.

I will say this about Pacific though - as much as I dislike the set as a whole, as far as I know it is the only one to include a card of the Ventura fight. Prisms or no, that is the only card I would ever even think about addding to the registry if it were up to me.
  • Options
    Then tell PSA that. That's the kind of thing that needs to be addressed now. Never mind that you're new around here, let them know!
  • Options
    I think that a great way to do it might be to add new cards at certain specific intervals, say once every six months, instead of whenever they feel like it. Especially for the player sets, this would be a great way of getting rid of the feeling of "Oh crap, 10 more cards" and could put a finish line in sight, if only for a little while. Potential new cards could be voted on by those actively putting the set together, and if only one guy out of 10 wants to add a card, odds are it wouldn't be included unless he could make a pretty strong case. I know isn't too big of an issue for most straightforward sets, but at last count the Ryan Master set had close to 550 cards. It would at least be nice to have some say in what is included in an open forum with other registrants instead of just individually working with PSA - it might even be easier from their side as well. Just a thought...
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm down at the bottom end of the Ryan Master Set listings.

With regard to the Mother's Cookies cards, they are not difficult to find in high grade, because they have rounded corners. All sets where corners are not normally an issue are comparatively easy to find in high grade.

IMO the best reference point for whether the Pacific Ryan set should be included is the Ted Williams Player Set. The '59 Fleer Ted Williams set (80 cards) contains far more different Williams cards than everything else from his playing days combined. The Williams Player Set includes one card from '59 Fleer - the scarce #68.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Hi PurelyPSA,

I guess the initial grief about the 1994 cards came more from the fact that they were outside his player years, but I really don't have an issue with them now, I investigated some of the other Player sets and saw cards outside the players years for Pete Rose and a couple others. I actually have a few 1994 UD Ryans just don't know if they worth sending in for grading.

The Pacific cards are a whole other matter, while they were issued during his player years 91 and 93, their sheer numbers could dilute the Ryan Master set to the point were completion would never happen. The Ryan Master set stands at 530 cards, right now, I believe it was 337 when I started in 2002. One could easily triple or quadruple that number by adding all the Pacific cards to the set. Now I currently have 25-30 boxes of Pacific card sets and I would have a real problem justifing financially the grading of near worthless cards for $6.00/card minimum order $600.00. There are a few representatives from the Pacific sets currently in the Ryan Master set and outside of the addition of one or two more, that is as far as that representation needs to go, for me.

Lets for argument sake say that someone was willing to buy a complete Nolan Ryan Master set of 530 cards for $30,000. How much more is the set worth being 1500 cards in size with all the new cards being 1991 and 1993 Pacific cards? My guess is not much, but it sure as hades cost me some coin. Thats were I draw my line, when the cards add no value to the set, they don't belong. IMO.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    -----------------------------------------

• Options
    One thing I was surprised to see as I was going through the SMR archives is that there has never been a feature on Ryan. I figured he would have been one of the first to be profiled, but as far as I know they have avoided him like the plague. Unless I am just missing the boat completely on this one, he should be due pretty soon.
  • Options
    This has been a very helpful thread for me. I have learned a lot about other Ryan collectors insights into their sets. I think it will help us make some decisions to make the Master Set more enjoyable (and achievable) for everyone.

I, too, get dismayed when the Master Set grows. But only because I see my completion percent drop. Logically, I know there are many more Ryans yet to be added to this Master Set. I keep a complete checklist that I cross reference from time to time and as of today, there are about 1300 Nolan Ryan cards issued from 1968 to 1993. So, the Master Set has to grow if we are to see it as a master collection. I think 100% completion will never truly be attainable. I believe that's what the Basic Set should be for (maybe the Topps Set too). But I still see the Master Set as a showcase for one's passion for accumulating as much Ryan stuff as possible.

Purely PSA is right. We control what the Master Set should comprise. I don't want 1300 cards there, but I think 530 is not enough either. I'd like to approach BJ with some requests for the set based on our interests. And also give us a vision for the set's growth in the future. I have made a short survey that I'd like to see us all give feedback on in the day or two. Based on the feedback, let's try to make some requests to tailor the Master Set accordingly.

Nolan Ryan Master Set Survey:

1. Should any 1994 issues be included in the Master Set? This would also apply to Basic.

2. Should any Pacific issues other than the 1993 standard wax pack issue (Spanish backs) be included in the Master Set? If not, should we have a separate Ryan Set to address those who collect Pacific?

3. Should issues other than cards be included? Examples: Topps Coins (there's one on eBay right now!), Topps Tatoos, Super size issues like Sportscaster, Topps Super, Rini postcards, and cachets (could now fit into T3 PSA holders).

4. Should we include Star issues? None are currently registered I think.

5. Should we include Upper Deck Comic Ball issues (there are A LOT!)? If not, the National promos and holograms are already there, should they be removed?

6. Should we include the 1992 Donruss/Coke set? Ther is currently one registered in the Master Set.

7. Are there any other additions or subtractions from the set you would like to see?

Please take a moment to post your feedback. This is the way we will make the Master Set what we want and how we'll see it grow in the future. Let's not allow the decisions to be made willy-nilly one collector at a time. Let's put our heads together! We must be the "Master of Our Domain!"

Thanks!
  • Options
    I agree 100% with Scott. As NickM pointed out, even the Ted Williams set only includes one card from the 1959 Fleer set. Put one example from the Pacific set in the Nolan Ryan Master Set, but do not go any furtherimage

Steve
  • Options
    These are my answers to the survey:

1. Yes.

2. No. But a separate set with all Pcific stuff is ok (includes foils, parallels, prisms, etc.)

3. No. For me, storage would be an issue in graded form.

4. No. The sets are perfed and I prefer keeping them intact.

5. No. I don't see it as a "sports" card set. I wouldn't mind seeing the existing Comic Ball stuff removed. Plus, they are ugly to boot!

6. Yes. It is issued by a legitimate card company. Its only 26 cards and they are nice.

7. I dunno.
  • Options
    Con40...hush on that Ryan coin on ebay as I'm goin after itimage

Steve
  • Options
    Hi Keith,

Here are my 2 cents worth:

1. Should any 1994 issues be included in the Master Set? This would also apply to Basic.

I don't have a problem with the 94's being in the Master set, but the Basic set should just be main line cards from each manufacturer.

What should be added to the Basic set would be the Leaf, OPC, and maybe, I'm waffling here, the single card issue Mothers Cookies main line Ryan cards. What I mean by main line, is not "Highlight", not "Leader", not "Record Breaker", and not "Special Issue" which is what I consider the 1994 UD's

2. Should any Pacific issues other than the 1993 standard wax pack issue (Spanish backs) be included in the Master Set? If not, should we have a separate Ryan Set to address those who collect Pacific?

I think if any Pacific cards are in there then there should be minor representation, not complete representation. If we need complete then lets start a Nolan Ryan Pacific Set, kind of like the Nolan Ryan Topps Set. That way one can choose to participant or not, but not have them shoved down their throat.

3. Should issues other than cards be included? Examples: Topps Coins (there's one on eBay right now!), Topps Tatoos, Super size issues like Sportscaster, Topps Super, Rini postcards, and cachets (could now fit into T3 PSA holders).

If PSA grades them, I don't see why not, were not talking about major numbers of items here, we already have those MSA discs, Slurppy Discs, Deckle Edge, Stamps, Stickers, and Promos. What about autograph cards, I don't believe any are currently listed, but I know of at least four that were issued during his player years?

I don't think PSA grades Star cards anymore, so this one might be moot.

5. Should we include Upper Deck Comic Ball issues (there are A LOT!)? If not, the National promos and holograms are already there, should they be removed?

This set is around 130 in number I believe and we have four or five in the Master set already, again I think minor representation in the Master set is not a bad thing, but I would find it hard to believe that someone would be willing to dish out the cash for grading all of these, I know I wouldn't.

6. Should we include the 1992 Donruss/Coke set? Ther is currently one registered in the Master Set.

There are only 25-26 cards in this set so if they are all there, it won't cause me any heartache, I believe only #5 is currently part of the Master set.

7. Are there any other additions or subtractions from the set you would like to see?

Additions:
    I think the autograph cards have a place:

1991 UD Autograph card
    1992 Classic Autograph card
    1993 Donruss Dominators Autograph card
    1993 Conlon Autograph card

Subtractions:
    If the Pacific cards get their own set, get them all out, otherwise I can't think of anything else that bothers me being included.

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    ------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    1. As far as the '94 Issues go, I'm not the most knowledgable guy. I will trust the more experienced collectors to make that judgment, but my suggestion would be to limit the 94s to those really deemed appropriate. To keep things in perspective, look at the number of cards currently in the set from 1989 (26) and then in 1993 (I count 83, excluding Pacific). Surely there is a pretty similar number of oddball cards that will turn up, the majority of it being Commemorative type stuff. As long as it is a fairly major issue, I wouldn't have a big problem with the addition of a little 94.

2. I'm all for a separate Pacific set. I think the creation of that set would really just be the most PC way to get rid of the Pacifics altogether. I mean, who's gonna have company over and show off your #1 Finest Set of 1993 Pacific Ryans??? If that set isn't included in the main registry, I surmise there will be virtually no submisssions of it at all.

3. That one's kind of a slippery slope. If you only include cards, then where would the MSA discs fall in? As far as the coins go, if it's got a Topps label on it it's fair game to me. I'm not sure exactly what a cachet is, but if it's in a holder any bigger than what the discs come in I see your point about storage. I think these issues would best be addressed on a case by case basis every few months (see my post above).

4. I've seen some Star issues on ebay, and I didn't really understand why they weren't in the registry already. If they are perf'd, that's not helping them out, but it didn't prevent Hostess cards from getting in either.

5. I agree, comic ball is kind of a retarded set. It just wouldn't feel right later on down the road to have a set at 50% completion or above sharing a box with Tweety and Sylvester. I have some of the holograms, but I'm not sure how many cards would be in the set if they were all counted. It wouldn't break my heart to see them go.

6. The Donruss Coke set seems pretty legit. It's from a major company, not too hard to find, and actually kind of a neat little set because it tracks his career year by year, with pics on the fron from each (I'm pretty sure on this but don't quote me).

7. Lose the Venezuelan rookie. That thing could make you sick for years I have a feeling (but how crazy would it be when you actually got it!?!?) JK - that's obviously the key card in the set and it will stay that way until those Pacific Prisms catch on.

The nerdery is open for business...
  • Options
    I agree with the autograph cards Scott - would they also have to be DNA certified to be in the registry though? It seems to me like they shoudn't have to be, but then again theres a little more jingle in Mr. Orlando's pocket right there.

Speaking of the 1991 UD auto, theres one on right now thats up to around $125.

• Options
    The autographs would be nice to add... in fact, the 93 Donruss Elite Dominator auto is in the set... I have it in PSA 9 from before the days of PSA/DNA... I've seen a steady stream of those in the past few months. Since these are all auto'd it's probably worth the price of the PSA/DNA additional cost.

Once everyone has had a chance to chime in (if interested), I will post a new thread with some conclusions.

Thanks for the valuable input!

Keith
  • Options
    Mudflap,

Welcome aboard from another Ryan Master Set collector (Texas Heat Wave). I've been off the boards a couple of days due to work and just saw your thread.

I live in Dallas and went to every Ranger game I could if he was pitching after he came up here. I was supposed to go to the game that turned out to be his 7th no-hitter. Too tired from work, so I watched it on the boob tube. I will never forgive myself for that. At the time I was living about 30 minutes away from the stadium and almost decided to drive out there at the end of the 7th inning but didn't. Wish I had. Sold the two unused tickets I had in 1996 for $350.00 when I needed the cash. Now I wish I hadn't. So now, instead of wishing I had done it differently than I did, I started collecting graded and ungraded Ryan's about 6 months ago (collected off and on for about 5 years in the mid-90's, but didn't get much of any worth).

Ryan is not just a great pitcher, but a super human being. A real hero to me.

Good luck on the collection and on the bidding. Never worry if you don't win the bid. There are plenty of raw and graded Ryan cards out there and there will be for a long time to come.

On the 1994 issues, I think they should be included, but whole-heartedly agree that nothing from Pacific should be included anywhere in the Registry.

My $.02 worth.
    Looking for Nolan Ryan PSA 10's.

Texas Heat Wave
  • Options
    By the way, I've been considering putting together a consortium to buy up all of the 1975 SSPCA's that are out there so I won't have to look at them anymore. Anyone want to join in? image

Texas Heat Wave
  • Options
    have any 1993 Triad Whataburger Nolan Ryans been graded? i have a few sets (they were available only at Whataburgers in Texas), and theyre really cool looking.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Here's my take on the questions:

1. Yes.
    2. The base card of Ryan from the 1993 Pacific 660 card set, and the insert cards of Ryan from packs of that set should make it into the Ryan Master Set. The Pacific Ryan sets should be their own separate registry entries, although if there are 1 or 2 key cards from the Pacific Ryan sets, those could be included into the Ryan Master Set.
    3. It depends on the issue. Topps Coins, Sportscaster cards, Topps Comics, and the like should all be included. Gateway cachets should not be.
    4. It's not moot. It's only Star basketball they don't grade, IIRC. Considering the size of the rest of the Ryan set, a 12 or 18 card set of him is not a serious problem.
    5. No. I would leave the National promo cards in and take the holograms out. Because of the method of their distribution, the promos were sports collectibles.
    6. Yes. It's a fairly small set, by a major manufacturer, with wide distribution.
    7. I haven't looked at the list enough to have an answer.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Con40,

Sorry, I just noticed your questions. I was in a hurry to welcome the new Ryan collector. Here are my thoughts on your questions (first, though, where did you get your list of 1,300 - I have a list, but it only has just under 1100 - I'd be interested to see what's on your list that's not on mine):

1. Yes, I guess I would include them. Though these were not years he played, they do (typically) reflect his last year's stats and his last year was an important one. Many of his already established records were extended and set during that year.
    2. No on Pacific. Can't stand the cards. Wax packs - eh. Fine with me if there is a seperate set for that one exclusively, particularly if it will keep it off the Master set.
    3. I don't think so. I think it should be cards only. I have other Ryan stuff, coins, tickets, stickers, postcards, etc., but I think the Master Set should be left to cards. Otherwise, you'd never get a 100% complete - never - there is simply way too much Ryan stuff and junk out there - there would be no end to the madness.
    4. I have a few Star cards. Don't care for them now that I have them. I would say no, but not a strong no.
    5. No, and I would like to see the National promo and holograms removed as well. This is another one where a seperate set could be set up if someone really wanted to list their cards.
    6. I think so. I think it is a legit set from a respected, established card company (in the interest of full disclosure, I have two unopened and therefore hopefully Mint or Gem sets myself!!!!)
    7. I have several odd Ryan cards, some of which are on the set and some that are not yet, but I am about to submit them for grading, so I would say yes.

I guess all in all a true "Master Set" should encompass all of what true collectors consider to be legit cards, so other than my pure disgust of the Pacific cards (which I admit makes me a hypocrite on this issue, though I don't consider Pacific to have been legit at that time) I would include any card issued by any legit card company from 1968 to 1994.

That's another $.02, so I'm up to $.04 now. Any takers on the '75 SSPCA Consortium?????? image

Edited to change 1928 to 1968.

Texas Heat Wave
  • Options

<< <i>Lose the Venezuelan rookie. >>

No. Never. That's the Holy Grail of Ryan cards. Gotta have it, gotta have it, gotta have it - now just gotta find it.

Texas Heat Wave
  • Options

I believe a true Master set would include *ALL* Nolan Ryan cards, 1968-present. However, maybe the current master set could be renamed to Nolan Ryan 1968-1993 Set and we could have a Nolan Ryan 1968-present Set.

No Pacific! That set is crap anyway and isn't even worth getting graded. If you want them graded, have a Nolan Ryan Pacific-Crap Set. image

Yes. We have stickers, so why not coins and tattoos?

I don't think PSA grades Star.

No UD Comic Ball (its too much like Pacific), but the National Promos should stay included since they are basically one-of-a-kind... in other words, you could only get them at the National. I view them like the 1991 Desert Storm or 1993 Rockies/Marlins Inaugural.

Only in the Master set... it is just like the Mother's Cookies set.

I have two cards that I am surprised are not in the Basic set: 1991 Ultra and 1992 Studio. Is the popular opinion saying these are Master Set cards? I would disagree since Leaf, Flair, Stadium Club, and Finest are included in the Basic set.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    Here's my ballot:

A. Yes to only the Master Set. The Basic Set should include only mainstream cards like Topps, UD, Donruss, Fleer, etc.

A. Only include one card from each set, just as there is only one 1959 Fleer card in the Ted Williams Player Set. I have no problem with PSA putting the Ryan Pacific set(s) up as stand-alone sets on the registry.

A. If they were produced by a recognized card company, then yes; otherwise no. Sportscaster, Rini and cachets - No. (as an aside, I have a complete collection of Gateway Cachets, including all the Ryans. I do not want to see them on the Set Registry)

A. Since the only Ryan Star Co set that I'm aware of was issued in three-card panels, I vote no, since the cards would have to be broken apart for grading. If at a later date, PSA comes out with a holder for this size card panel, then I vote for the Star set to be put on the registry as a stand-alone set.

A. Only one card from the set, as in #2 above.

6. Should we include the 1992 Donruss/Coke set? There is currently one registered in the Master Set.

A. Only only one card from the set, as in #2 and #5 above.

A. Not at this point, but I'll look through my binder of Ryan raw cards to see if I change my mindimage

Steve Dawson
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

My thoughts:

Topps Coins should be included as long as PSA grades them. I know that Darton has already requested that these get added to the Schmidt Master Registry. The last time I sent in a Topps Tattoo to be graded - PSA said that they would not grade them. So that is a bit of an issue.

As for the larger issues that only fit into T3 holders - I don't think they should be included. I have some 1988 and 1989 Tastykake issues that PSA would theoretically graded - but at $35 a pop, I just can't see submitting those to PSA right now.

As for Star issues, I have gotten all my Star Schmidt cards graded by PSA, and they are currently in queue to be added. They actually aren't that hard to find in top grade (10s are hard - 9s seem pretty easy). So I vote that they be included.

As for the Donruss Coke issue - I don't know why not. The 1981 Coca-Cola sets are included, the Hostess and Drake issues are included, the Burger King cards are included - so it seems to me that 1992 Donruss Coke shouldn't be any different - although it is a special issue for Ryan...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Oh, and I love the Mother's Cookies Ryan's. Buy them every chance I get if they show any potential. Don't know why. Maybe its because I ate a lot of Mother's Cookies growing up. Maybe its the rounded corners. I don't know, but I'm a fan.

Texas Heat Wave
  • Options
    Plus they taste delicious
  • Options
    I'm a little late on this one but welcome to the boards. As a new member, it is a very friendly place with a lot of friendly people. I am working on the Ryan Master as well, although my focus has shifted for a little while. I think the master set should include every card that can be verified by PSA as long as certain production/population requirements are met. Now, the trick is, what would the requirements be? I feel like I'm stomping in the same old mudhole without adding new dirt, but that's my 2 cents.

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    On a personal note, I never want my designation to go beyond "Senior Member." Is there anything more prestigious than that?

Brent
    Collecting:
    Bo Jackson Basic(#1) and Master(#1)
    Bob Feller Basic(#4)
    Sam McDowell Basic(#1)
    2004 Cracker Jack Master

My Ebay Store
  • Options
    On a personal note, I never want my designation to go beyond "Senior Member." Is there anything more prestigious than that?

Brent, I think the next step up is "Grand Member". image

Wow! Your comments are super! I am starting to see a trend develop... let's give it one more day for comments. Then, I will post a new thread with our conclusions.

Thanks. It's great to see so many Ryan fans speak up!
  • Options
    Here's a must have for any Ryan fan. Its not card related, but I came across it a few years ago looking for Jerry Jeff Walker songs. He took another country song and changed the words to something in honor of Nolan Ryan. It was written before he retired, so a few "numbers" are inaccurate image Its in MP3 format, but any Windows Media Player will be able to play it.

Jerry Jeff Walker - Nolan Ryan.mp3

Disclaimer: I do not condone MP3 piracy. This is just offered as a song for Nolan Ryan fans to listen to! I've never seen this song on a CD.

Justin

NAXCOM
  • Options
    bump

My first thread - a little history lesson - if I had only known that it would be another year before I left for the Marines.... sigh.

Just a little throwback to the pre-Nolan Ryan thread days and the good times we had. I'm going to go watch Steel Magnolias, eat a tub of bonbons, and cry myself to sleep.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    Anyone need a psa 10 1/1 1986 Slurpee Coin # viii Carlton/Ryan/Seaver Western Region? I just got it back from psa. Jump ahead of your competitors on the Ryan master registry! image

Also, I have 3 psa 10 1989 Topps Ryans # 530.

PM with your offer!

Bkritz
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

TTT

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)