Home U.S. Coin Forum

Quarter Dollar 1796 PCGS F15

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Sure looks like a full eye! image It is a beautiful coin. I wish some millennia I could afford to have one.
  • Looks like someone give Liberty a shiner..
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Strange coin.
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,544 ✭✭
    I never see a drape bust coin I didn't like

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin was cleaned at one time, and some of the color may not be from "natural causes." Still it's a 1796 Quarter, which is not easy to locate.

As for the "black eye" that is the usual wear pattern for this coin.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin... one that's on my "one of these days" list.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    There's a PCGS AG03 for sale at DLRC presently for only 5K.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin was cleaned at one time, and some of the color may not be from "natural causes." >>

<< <i>This imparts a look of dignity and antiquity found only on the most original, uncleaned silver coins of the period. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Russ, they said "uncleaned" in the auction, but the coin was cleaned.....I am 99% sure. I agree with Bill. Still, it is a neat coin. Our customer was bidding on the item based on our recommendation, but it went WAY too high for what it is.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Hey, I'd believe Bill before I'd ever believe an auction description written by Superior.

Russ, NCNE
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I don't like the toning...

Dennis
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Russ. image

The only way that the toning on this coin is "original" is if it resulted from a reaction by the residue chemicals that were used to clean this piece. Natural, well circulated silver does not tone like this. Choice "real" toning is gray The toning has an AT look to me. Reactions from chemical residue almost never result in colors that are this bright.

BUT it's a 1796 quarter with VF sharpness, and as such it's still collectable.

Here's the one in my collection. It's now in a PCGS VF-25 holder.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    That is one sweet looking Draped Bust 1796. Nice eyes
    most I have seen in the past have that racoon look to them, but
    not yours. Nice coin. When for sale..............write.

Regards, Michael
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bil Jones,

great looking 1796, That is one of the nicest for the grade in that grade range that I have seen in a long while?

jim d
  • WOW! BillJones, I like yours MUCH better. What a knockout! I love it!
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill Jones -- quit showing off!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Bill showed off a portion of his personal collection to me at a recent show... my drop hit the floor at all the pretty pieces!!! He has a GREAT eye for coins... the high-light for me, was his Flowing Hair Half-Dime in AU58... image Most valuable coin I've ever held...
    -George
    42/92
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a $12.5k grey F12 at the beginning of the month--it was MUCH better than this one.

This sort of color just doesn't work on this sort of coin...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    No doubt that coin was cleaned a while ago, but somehow the odd colors that have formed are sort of attractive - aren't they?
  • Argh, I need more 1700's US coins.

Nice quarter, though.

<< <i>No doubt that coin was cleaned a while ago, but somehow the odd colors that have formed are sort of attractive - aren't they? >>

No... I like toned coins, but this one just seems... ugly.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Jeremy,
    That 1796 you ( and I ) saw at the Parsippany show was 15k. And I absolutely agree it was much nicer.

<< <i>Jeremy,
    That 1796 you ( and I ) saw at the Parsippany show was 15k. And I absolutely agree it was much nicer. >>

Oh, whatever. The price isn't important... it's not like you bought it to show off image
  • BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    Jeremy,
    If it makes you happy, and Bruce still has the coin on Sunday, I'll make him an offer.
    But something tells me its no longer in his inventory.

<< <i>If it makes you happy, and Bruce still has the coin on Sunday, I'll make him an offer.
    But something tells me its no longer in his inventory. >>

Will you be beating my offer? Since I really like it, my $5 offer would probably be bumped to $250 image

Jeremy
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Mine is also a VF-25, NGC though. COmparing side by side with Bill's, it appears that Bill's has just the slightest bit more detail.

• VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    I was watching that one too (not to buy image)--I'd agree with everyone that the toning is out there and almost certainly not original. Would I take it if someone gave it to me for free? Hmm...

If choosing between a new Toyota and a 1796 quarter, would I rather wait for a gray one like the other examples posted? Uh-huh.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Both Bill's and Barry's are outstanding coins. Wish I could go back in time and experience a story Bowers relates, buying one of the 1796 gems (some "regular", some "prooflike" - !) as Abe Kosoff did for $90-$125 (which was much $ at the time) from James McAllister, who was the end "user" of a large number of these, ultimately from the E.H.R. Green (a fascinating study all by himself - bizarre man with a regrettable, unfortunate life, and wealth almost beyond measure) estate - Kosoff recalled seeing perhaps around 100 gems total in McAllister's stash. Would this be called into question today, or have all such pieces since been absorbed into strong hands? You would think most such gems would have been slabbed like crazy, or at least many of them - I don't know. Anyway, Kosoff said he bought 5-6 of each, perhaps.

On the other hand, if I'd been around then, that would make me a very, very old man today - and most probably deadsville.

As such, I will have to be content to admire Bill's and Barry's pieces. Wow. They're both great.

In 1955, Bowers writes in his Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars action guide - Aubrey Bebee showed Dave a gem, prooflike 1796 25¢ that he apologetically admitted paying - $200 for.

Collecting's changed a lot!

Comparitively, Bebee made huge headlines winning and setting a price record for one of the 1913 Lib nickels (in '67 I think) - for $46,000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file