Home U.S. Coin Forum

The kind of integrity some can only dream about

I have bought from Williams Gallery for many years. In fact, last night I bought two more coins from them. I'm not making this post because I have bought from them, but rather because this is what I expect from an honest seller. Take a look at this coin:

1892-S AU Cleaned

This seller could make a killing on this coin by advertising it as something like "MS62" and only showing the obverse. He could also probably get it in a third tier slab with no note of the cleaning. This is the kind of seller who gets my business.

Too bad on this coin. This would be a beauty if it had not been cleaned.

Comments

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I hardily endorse this event or product image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
  • This seller could make a killing on this coin by advertising it as something like "MS62" and only showing the obverse.

K6AZ, you are easily impressed.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
    Really? How so?

I have seen many coins like this passed off as Uncs to unsuspecting buyers on eBay. This seller does not do it, and is in the handful of sellers who I will deal with when it comes to expensive coins.
    Oops duplicate post.
  • No offense, but I think that it's a sad world when we are impressed by people doing the obviously right thing. This means that the "wrong thing" is the norm, and when somebody does the "right thing", we see something unusual and are impressed. The guy accurately grades a coin and we should be impressed? That's pretty sad. Again, no slam on you. I think that we have all been burned so many times that we are amazed at any honest seller these days.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And besides what Jadecoin just said..... What kind of fun can we have with an honest seller? How bout the shipping? There has to be something.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    OK... gotcha.

It's sad but true. To find someone selling a cleaned AU key date for what it is is rare. Unfortunately, it has become the norm for sellers to blatantly misrepresent the coins they sell on eBay.
  • he stated the obvious, coin looks cleaned.
    It does with a good image. But imagine that coin with a fuzzy image in a third tier MS slab. It happens all the time, and people fall for it.
  • HootHoot Posts: 867
    K6AZ - I think you are right on in pointing out this transaction. I think that Jade is also right that it's a sad thing that we have to get excited over being treated right and dealt with honestly. But, in a workd where dishonest interactions are so very abundant, it's nice to know where you can go to get good and fair treatment.

I know the folks at Williams Gallery/Collector USA personally and professionally. They (Dale Williams and Dan Wahr) are two of the most upstanding individuals in the coin industry. They will not gouge you for anything, including shipping. They will also deal fairly with you if you have a problem with a coin.

Glad you took the time to say something nice. image

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman

<< <i>Glad you took the time to say something nice. >>

Well, you know one of the big complaints about me is that I am always trashing dealers. Hey, I have to buy my coins from someone. There are a select few I buy from, and Dale Williams is one of them. I have never had the slightest problem with this company and have been very satisfied with them.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense, but I think that it's a sad world when we are impressed by people doing the obviously right thing. This means that the "wrong thing" is the norm, and when somebody does the "right thing", we see something unusual and are impressed. The guy accurately grades a coin and we should be impressed? That's pretty sad. Again, no slam on you. I think that we have all been burned so many times that we are amazed at any honest seller these days. >>

Well, it is refreshing to see somebody honest, and yes, we should give a little credit where credit is due, I think. And it's probably right that such a coin would go problem-free MS at a third or fourth-tier service.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    most of the time, only the slimiest, evillest ebay characters are advertised here on the forum. there are actually numerous ebay sellers as honest or more so than the 1 you mention.

great post!

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file